Best Coffee in Thailand?

WineOh

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nestle Red Cup works for me with Carnation condensed milk .......... Viet coffee, Cafe Sua

I bought a filter coffee maker, but just can't be bothered with it.

I heard the Vietnamese coffee was good, is it available in Thailand? If so, where?

28 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

A Bialetti is much more expensive then a generic Moka Pot. Any reason for this. I am in the throws of either buying a Bialetti or a decent coffee machine as I like my coffee so much. I don't know what to do!

Because there is so much duty on the imported Bialetti. The Bialetti should sell for about 1000 baht ($30US). But you’re in Thailand.
If unsure buy the knock off and see how you like it. It’s all I use, every day. (The real Bialetti, but I live in USA). I love the simplicity, and it makes bad coffee taste worse and good coffee taste better. Just a matter of finding which coffee does it for you. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

A Bialetti is much more expensive then a generic Moka Pot. Any reason for this. I am in the throws of either buying a Bialetti or a decent coffee machine as I like my coffee so much. I don't know what to do!

Well, you should definitely buy a machine. There are some machines that are not very expensive.

I recommend the DeLonghi Distinta, because I used it for a long time and it does the job and never broke down. I had much more expensive machines before, Saeco and two Gastroback, and they all broke down.

The reason why a machine is better than a Moka Pot or a Bialetti is that only a machine can muster the full nine bars of pressure that are required for perfect espresso. The Moka Pot or Bialetti can give you 1.5 bars of pressure. Still a good coffee, just not as good as machine coffee and not true espresso. The machine has to be a portafilter. 

The Bialetti is more expensive than a generic moka pot because Bialetti make some models in Italy. Even Italian brands often make the machines in China now. Obviously that's cheaper. But there are very serious quality differences between a Bialetti and generic Moka pots see here:

http://101coffeemachines.info/moka/bialetti-vs-chinese-moka/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With this headline

Best Coffee in Thailand?

I wonder why so many replies here are about instant coffee.

First I wouldn't call any of those powders "coffee" and second even if we would call it coffee any instant coffee is far away from real coffee.

Are you instant "coffee" drinkers all lazy or do you have no idea how decent coffee should taste or are your taste buds ruined?

2019_02_24_Taste_instant_Coffee16427-1.j

I agree, instant coffee isn't even in the same ballpark. People who drink that will also like starbucks coffee i guess.

I even bring my own bialetti on holiday because i need half a liter good coffee every morning.

Foodland sells good coffee, moccona and i mix 2 red packs with a green one...goes in the bialetti and we drink it with hot milk. It's cheaper than Thai coffee and much better.

16 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I heard the Vietnamese coffee was good, is it available in Thailand? If so, where?

Quite simply at the Indochinese market of Nong Khai and surely those of Mukdahan and Nakon Phanom ;

and now in the Tesco Lotus, at least in that of Sawang daen Din.

I lived long months in Vietnam between 1991 and 1996 and since then I only drink Vietnamese coffee.
In old Hanoi, there is a street where there are only coffee sellers.
Some are excellent but very expensive, no brand, the grains are sold by weight.
Do not forget either that Vietnam is the second world producer of coffee.

P1060802_cafe_Vietnam.thumb.JPG.0cd9bc0bced8b351c95a62957defa6cb.JPG

• Like 1

Have you ever been to any coffee house worthy of the name and had nice coffee from anything other than a dedicated coffee machine?? After spending many years drinking instant coffee and deciding I liked real coffee, I bought a machine about two years ago, shortly afterwards I bought a grinder. Now I make coffee as good as any coffee shop. And this assessment is agreed with from many visitors to my home who make a point of saying so. The coffee beans I have defaulted to are beans and they are Thai grown, called Bruno, at equal to B480 per kg that I buy in 2 x 500g bags. Unless, I told you, you would think they were imported.

But as others have said, the actual coffee is a matter of taste.

I can tell you in advance that even with a machine, making coffee requires you to do it right but plenty of guidance on YouTube

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

You say that Thai Coffee is not as good as Indonesian Coffee personally I think it is better and it is also better than the coffee served in Vietnam.

I don’t particularly enjoy German beer or German Opera but it doesn’t that mean they they are better or worse than those produced elsewhere.

As with many things in this life and as the third poster on this topic said, words to the effect that it’s a matter of personal taste.

Some people think that telephone masts are the work of the devil. That doesn't make it so.

Thai coffee is inferior to Indonesian coffee. This is because Indonesia, or Sumatra in particular, has volcanic earth, which gives Indonesian coffees a unique depth and complexity. Now of course you get sold an awful lot of bad Indonesian coffee. As mentioned earlier proper roasting, grinding and preparation is important.

However, at its best Mandailing Estate Coffee is a measure of coffee excellence that only very few select coffees can compete with, like Yauco Selecto, Kona, Kopi Luwak, certain Ethiopian, Nicaraguan, Kenyan, Guatemalan and Tanzanian coffees. 

Thai coffees generally can not compete with these, though Cafe Ronn is very good.

In terms of Vietnamese coffees, again they were known for Robusta, adding condensed milk and their coffee is, you're right, generally not ranked highly, however, they too have some quality brands like Trung Nguyen. Like Brazilian, Vietnamese coffee is more known for its quantity than quality, but that can change thanks to Trung Nguyen and others.

But let's not pretend that Mandailing Estate coffee, Sulawesi Toraja or Mocha Java or Kopi Luwak are not the world's leading coffees. They are.

https://espressocoffeeguide.com/best-coffee-beans/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

I tried Vietnamese coffee, I've not found a good one yet. Obviously it's several steps up from instant coffee, but this single cup filter method lacks the pressure required for a true espresso experience.

Only the required pressure will bring out the most in coffee beans. An expensive machine is not necessary, a Bialetti stove-top will also achieve this.

You can use VN coffee in a bialetti, it makes perfect Italian style espresso. Use the VN filter for a different style. I often also use a filter machine if I want a longer cup. It’s all in the grind

• Like 1

Just now, Logosone said:

Well, you should definitely buy a machine. There are some machines that are not very expensive.

I recommend the DeLonghi Distinta, because I used it for a long time and it does the job and never broke down. I had much more expensive machines before, Saeco and two Gastroback, and they all broke down.

The reason why a machine is better than a Moka Pot or a Bialetti is that only a machine can muster the full nine bars of pressure that are required for perfect espresso. The Moka Pot or Bialetti can give you 1.5 bars of pressure. Still a good coffee, just not as good as machine coffee and not true espresso. The machine has to be a portafilter. 

The Bialetti is more expensive than a generic moka pot because Bialetti make some models in Italy. Even Italian brands often make the machines in China now. Obviously that's cheaper. But there are very serious quality differences between a Bialetti and generic Moka pots see here:

http://101coffeemachines.info/moka/bialetti-vs-chinese-moka/

The machine you quoted is not that expensive. I was surprised at the cost. I was looking at a Breville (at around 29k) but I am worried about if they break down, how easy are they to get fixed here in Thailand. How long have you had the DeLonghi Distinta for? I will also need to buy a grinder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fruitman said:

i need half a liter good coffee every morning

Most of the time I have 4 shots espresso in the morning. And sometime 6 shots.

The 6 shots is probably less than 100ml. So your "half a liter" is similar to 30 shots espresso.

Two options:

- your "half a liter" was slightly incorrect

- you don't drink "good coffee" but water with coffee taste

Just now, bubba45 said:

Because there is so much duty on the imported Bialetti. The Bialetti should sell for about 1000 baht ($30US). But you’re in Thailand.
If unsure buy the knock off and see how you like it. It’s all I use, every day. (The real Bialetti, but I live in USA). I love the simplicity, and it makes bad coffee taste worse and good coffee taste better. Just a matter of finding which coffee does it for you. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. Really appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thanks... I think. .... Nakhon Nowhere is a bit far from Bangkok just for a cup of coffee! Or is that their delivery helicopter on the pack???

The G7 brand is available at Big C, Tops etc.

If that fails, you can get it from Lazada.

Have you ever been to any coffee house worthy of the name and had nice coffee from anything other than a dedicated coffee machine?? After spending many years drinking instant coffee and deciding I liked real coffee, I bought a machine about two years ago, shortly afterwards I bought a grinder. Now I make coffee as good as any coffee shop. And this assessment is agreed with from many visitors to my home who make a point of saying so. The coffee beans I have defaulted to are beans and they are Thai grown, called Bruno, at equal to B480 per kg that I buy in 2 x 500g bags. Unless, I told you, you would think they were imported.

I can tell you in advance that even with a machine, making coffee requires you to do it right but plenty of guidance on YouTube

6 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thanks... I think. .... Nakhon Nowhere is a bit far from Bangkok just for a cup of coffee! Or is that their delivery helicopter on the pack???

In my answer I quote the Tesco from Sawang which sells it;

I therefore think that this coffee is also a reference at the national level in all Tesco of Thailand;
you can recover my photo and ask Tesco in your neighborhood.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the time I have 4 shots espresso in the morning. And sometime 6 shots.

The 6 shots is probably less than 100ml. So your "half a liter" is similar to 30 shots espresso.

Two options:

- your "half a liter" was slightly incorrect

- you don't drink "good coffee" but water with coffee taste

Thank God for someone telling me that - I have two shots of espresso every morning and in the afternoon I normally have a iced Latte (very little milk with the coffee floating on top) for something cool and refreshing. I thought my coffee intake was too much.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

Bialetti is just a brand name, there are thousands of other brands that equally as good at a much lower cost, even Ikea do one I think

18 minutes ago, Logosone said:

But let's not pretend that Mandailing Estate coffee, Sulawesi Toraja or Mocha Java or Kopi Luwak are not the world's leading coffees. They are.

You almost had my vote until you left Kona off of this list, consistently, year after year, voted the best coffee, though Jamaican Blue Mountain sneaks in there as world's best coffee every so often.  ????

Edited by GalaxyMan

6 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Thank God for someone telling me that - I have two shots of espresso every morning and in the afternoon I normally have a iced Latte (very little milk with the coffee floating on top) for something cool and refreshing. I thought my coffee intake was too much.

I read in Wikipedia that anything more than 10 shots espresso is poison level. So I avoid anything more than that. And I am sleeping fine, just in case anybody wants to know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read in Wikipedia that anything more than 10 shots espresso is poison level. So I avoid anything more than that. And I am sleeping fine, just in case anybody wants to know.

Espresso has far less caffeine than normal brewed coffee due to the beans being roasted longer to get the deep rich taste. The process cooks the caffeine out. I have no problem having one before going to bed, but a cup of 'real' coffee would keep me awake all night.

Edited by GalaxyMan

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

10 shots. 
jeez.

that would make my hair stand on edge for about a month after one cup! ????

7 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

The machine you quoted is not that expensive. I was surprised at the cost. I was looking at a Breville (at around 29k) but I am worried about if they break down, how easy are they to get fixed here in Thailand. How long have you had the DeLonghi Distinta for? I will also need to buy a grinder.

Quite so, a quality grinder could be more important than a quality portafilter machine. The importance of grind size can not be overstated. If you use a Bialetti the coffee should not be too fine, if you use a machine you need to experiment but generally a finer grind is better.

Indeed the Delonghi Distinta is very cheap. So the benefit is that if it does break down you've not lost much, and frankly given the number of espresso machines I've had, the prices they cost and they still break down, to me a Delonghi Distinta is the best bet. That is because espresso machines are such complex machines that they seem to be prone to breaking down even with really expensive ones.

I have had the Delonghi Distinta for four years, used a lot, every day when I'm back in the Fatherland. Never broke down. The Saeco and several Gastrobacks broke down within a year. Very displeasing.

When you buy a grinder, make sure not to buy those cheap American grinders with the silly thin blades, you want a proper ceramic grinding mechanism or a good stainless steel blade. Most important is that you can choose the fineness of the grind. That's key, and not all grinders allow for this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

10 shots. 
jeez.

that would make my hair stand on edge for about a month after one cup! ????

Ok, I never had 10 shots in one go. Just 6 shots in one cup.

I never took (illegal) drugs in my life. But the 6 shots feel like espresso intravenous. 

coffee-iv-beans-drip-closeup-bag-full-dr

• Haha 1