Best Coffee in Thailand?

WineOh

You're drinking coffee for the caffeine fix...so any non-decaf coffee is good coffee. 

If making instant coffee, follow their directions to make coffee and add 3 more spoons (ill-defined, I know) to your cup or mug, and add hot water to dissolve the coffee. 

Add mega sugar + mega cream (powdered or liquid) or milk (regular or canned) to the solution. 

Mix well and enjoy. 

The coffee connoisseur advice is bogus...just more snobby info for a product that is overpriced.  

It's JUST coffee!

Use my recipe and enjoy the caffeine high.  ????

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

It's one the few indulgences in my life. I've found nothing worth drinking that I can get in Thailand. I still order it from growers I know in Kona, Hawaii. Freaky expensive, but still the best mouthful of coffee I've ever tasted. Currently using a Breville machine, as my Rancilio sort of crapped out. Best of luck. As others have pointed out, taste is very subjective.

Kona from Hawaii is superb coffee. From the US the Yauco Selecto from Puerto Rico is also very, very good but hard to get.

I'm like you, but with Indonesian coffee, for me the Mandailing Estate Coffee is the best of the best, because of its complexity of flavour. I used to import it direct from Sumatra, but the hassle is tremendous.

Try cafe Ronn from Thailand, dark roast (that's important). Next to Spanish Torrefacto, Kopi Luwak and Kona it's one of the alternatives to Mandailing Estate for me.

As for machines I'm pretty shocked how poor a quality some espresso machines are, that cost 1000 Dollars and the like. I had several break down on me. I now use a Delonghi and very happy with it, but not when I'm in Thailand. Here I use a Bialetti which also works very well. Hope the Breville is better than some of the expensive machines I had in the past, which turned out to be made in China (Gastroback) and broke quickly like my old Saeco.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With this headline

Best Coffee in Thailand?

I wonder why so many replies here are about instant coffee.

First I wouldn't call any of those powders "coffee" and second even if we would call it coffee any instant coffee is far away from real coffee.

Are you instant "coffee" drinkers all lazy or do you have no idea how decent coffee should taste or are your taste buds ruined?

2019_02_24_Taste_instant_Coffee16427-1.j

I couldn't agree more, instant powders are not real coffee.

Unless you buy real coffee beans and grind them fresh, pre-ground coffee is also world's apart from the true experience of coffee, and unless you then use a high pressure machine like a portafilter or a Bialetti you're not really experiencing the full potential of coffee.

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Logosone said:

As for machines I'm pretty shocked how poor a quality some espresso machines are, that cost 1000 Dollars and the like. I had several break down on me. I now use a Delonghi and very happy with it, but not when I'm in Thailand. Here I use a Bialetti which also works very well. Hope the Breville is better than some of the expensive machines I had in the past, which turned out to be made in China (Gastroback) and broke quickly like my old Saeco.

This is why I drink Vietnamese coffee.

It does not require an expensive coffee machine and tastes very good.

711rmg9SJSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you have a car or a bike? Is it the cheapest which you could get or something decent?

Because sure you can get from A to B with almost any vehicle, but with some of them it's fun and with others it's torture.

With coffee it's same same.

Torture.I recon the Cup Handles in Starbucks were made for a Wendy House Dwarfs. 

• Haha 1

Coffee - Kafe - Koffie

I class this in three groups and from each drink I.

Coffee grounded from beans   
I rarely drink this here in Thailand, used to drink that daily back then in my country.
Every morning, afternoon and evening. Arabica and mostly Douwe Egberts redband, 4 spoons for 6 cups which heavily depends on the machine.
When visiting overseas/going abroad on returning I take one or two of these grounded coffee back to home lasting two months.

Instant Coffee v1. in order of preference

KhaoSong red
KhaoSong brown
Moccona red

Instant Coffee v2 (3in1 solution) also in order of preference
Kopiko kaw (bought in Malaysia)
Kopiko brown (bought in Malaysia)
Moccona green
Moccona red

The instant coffee (v1),  Every morning I start my day with a big cup mixed with real milk and a bit of (caramel)condensed milk to sweet.
Each brand has it own formula, each gives the coffee their taste on their own.
Birdwing, Hotpot, Male,..
In the afternoon, mixed with ice.

The 3in1 pockets for a fast one and a few are in my bag for when going out.
Coffee from beans, black with a bit of sugar please.

Nesttle, I pass.

Reply to a post # 68: 

Interesting analogy..I see your point. 

Yes, I own a car and bike, bought each for the near cheapest price I was willing to pay.  I'm a cheap Charlie, thank you.  

But, even the cheapest quality of coffee (subjective, I know) will provide a caffeine buzz equal to the better quality coffee (subjective,  I know).  

If one is drinking coffee for the flavor, then drink decaffeinated coffee...otherwise why pay the bigger bucks for one's caffeine high? 

I stand by my earlier comment.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I did exactly that. Bought a small grinder and sampled local beans using a French Press, available in most malls. I found Phoenix Coffee to have the best flavor of the 10, or so that I tried. I found found on a FB search page.

• Like 1

I used to drink Doi Tung ground coffee, very good local coffee, but a little expensive. But not any more since I have discovered the "Tesco Finest" range of coffees available in the Tesco Lotus supermarkets. They have an excellent range of pre-ground coffees, Colombian, Guatemalan, etc. etc. All imported from UK, and not expensive.

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is why I drink Vietnamese coffee.

It does not require an expensive coffee machine and tastes very good.

711rmg9SJSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I tried Vietnamese coffee, I've not found a good one yet. Obviously it's several steps up from instant coffee, but this single cup filter method lacks the pressure required for a true espresso experience.

Only the required pressure will bring out the most in coffee beans. An expensive machine is not necessary, a Bialetti stove-top will also achieve this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexO said:

I use (and recommend) a Vietnamese coffee, Trung Nguyen brand. 100% Tihn Thuc. Make it in the small individual coffee percolators that the Vietnamese and Cambodian coffee shops use. Search Lazada,

• YKS Stainless Steel Vietnam Vietnamese Coffee Simple Drip Filter Maker Infuser

Trung Nguyen have a great range. My current stock is down to around 12kg because my last VN trip didn’t happen

• Like 1

Depends how far up the coffee scale you want to go.

Most instants are pretty dire with Red Cup pretty near the bottom of the heap.

The proper Italian stove top machines are the best, I liked Lavazza cream ground.

After that, a cafe that has a well set up commercial machine and know how to use it properly.

I've tried lots of pod machines and preferred the Tassimo system with local coffee in compatible pods.

All the above are from living in Europe.

Here in Thailand (Phuket) I'm yet to find a cafe that can make a good straight coffee.

Bon Cafe is decent, Extra Dark Roast pod system.

Personally I now use the Take5 paper pod system, again Extra Dark Roast. It's good enough and cheap.

Laziness keeps me away from bean to cup machines!

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you have a car or a bike? Is it the cheapest which you could get or something decent?

Because sure you can get from A to B with almost any vehicle, but with some of them it's fun and with others it's torture.

With coffee it's same same.

Bus, not using space in the front, cheap and I have someone else driving me. ????

Analog to: The bag icecoffee sold on street. Convenient drive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

I'm a coffee freak. In Germany I would only drink coffee that was freshly ground and only if made with a portafilter, like in Italy.

Here if a portafilter machine is not pratical you can use a Bialetti instead which achieves a similar espresso effect like a portafilter.

After much trial and error I have found that the best coffee in Thailand is Cafe Ronn, dark roast.

Unfortunately Thai coffee is not as good as Indonesian coffee so if you can importing Mandailing Estate Coffee from Sumatra will still be the best option. However Cafe Ronn, dark roast, comes close to it.

You say that Thai Coffee is not as good as Indonesian Coffee personally I think it is better and it is also better than the coffee served in Vietnam.

I don’t particularly enjoy German beer or German Opera but it doesn’t that mean they they are better or worse than those produced elsewhere.

As with many things in this life and as the third poster on this topic said, words to the effect that it’s a matter of personal taste.

Just now, Logosone said:

Only the required pressure will bring out the most in coffee beans. An expensive machine is not necessary, a Bialetti stove-top will also achieve this.

A Bialetti is much more expensive then a generic Moka Pot. Any reason for this. I am in the throws of either buying a Bialetti or a decent coffee machine as I like my coffee so much. I don't know what to do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Kona from Hawaii is superb coffee. From the US the Yauco Selecto from Puerto Rico is also very, very good but hard to get.

I'm like you, but with Indonesian coffee, for me the Mandailing Estate Coffee is the best of the best, because of its complexity of flavour. I used to import it direct from Sumatra, but the hassle is tremendous.

Try cafe Ronn from Thailand, dark roast (that's important). Next to Spanish Torrefacto, Kopi Luwak and Kona it's one of the alternatives to Mandailing Estate for me.

Until I discovered Kona coffee, Sumatran Mandheling was my coffee of choice for years.

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I tried Vietnamese coffee, I've not found a good one yet. Obviously it's several steps up from instant coffee, but this single cup filter method lacks the pressure required for a true espresso experience.

Let's say it like this: I know that good tasting espresso needs good coffee beans, good roasting, good grinding, a good machine, and the machine has to be clean and warmed up and all that. I love good espresso but I don't want to spend a fortune on the machines. So mostly I drink espresso outside, i.e. Au Bon Pain, Kuppa Deli, and a few other places. They have the good and expensive machines and the espresso tastes good. When I am too lazy to go out and in times like this I drink Vietnamese coffee at home. Lots of coffee powder, a little water, and nothing else. The taste is different from espresso and I like it. And it's STRONG. Maybe when I retire I get some of those super machines.

Best-Italian-Coffee-Machine-e15507168922

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's say it like this: I know that good tasting espresso needs good coffee beans, good roasting, good grinding, a good machine, and the machine has to be clean and warmed up and all that. I love good espresso but I don't want to spend a fortune on the machines. So mostly I drink espresso outside, i.e. Au Bon Pain, Kuppa Deli, and a few other places. They have the good and expensive machines and the espresso tastes good. When I am too lazy to go out and in times like this I drink Vietnamese coffee at home. Lots of coffee powder, a little water, and nothing else. The taste is different from espresso and I like it. And it's STRONG. Maybe when I retire I get some of those super machines.

Best-Italian-Coffee-Machine-e15507168922

Strong is important. That's why I only drink espresso.

I can see single cup filter is easy, but I don't find grinding and Bialetti very hard work. Takes a few minutes.

You're obviously doing the right thing in not putting condensed milk in the coffee like most Vietnamese do.

I guess it would depend on the quality of the coffee most of all.

If you are in Bangkok, Rosetta Coffee Roasters on Charoen Krung by Rama 3. They roast beans in the store and have both Thai and imported coffee. They do nice blends as well. Price is very good for the quality. I think they can ship it to you as well. Check out their Facebook.

If you ever go to VN, as others suggest Trung Nguyen has a Culi Blend that's awesome. Super chocolatey. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I guess it would depend on the quality of the coffee most of all.

This is the Vietnamese coffee which I drink in the moment. Very delicious.

Coffee.thumb.jpg.63118afc4f38bb9f1eadea68911e67af.jpg

And this is the list of the available coffees from the shop which I mentioned above. This is where I bought my coffee. I think it's all the same brand.

List.thumb.jpg.662dab84eee62cdc9280e469fd705c51.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, phkauf said:

If you are in Bangkok, Rosetta Coffee Roasters on Charoen Krung by Rama 3. They roast beans in the store and have both Thai and imported coffee. They do nice blends as well. Price is very good for the quality. I think they can ship it to you as well. Check out their Facebook.

If you ever go to VN, as others suggest Trung Nguyen has a Culi Blend that's awesome. Super chocolatey. 

I have already ordered from a local coffee supplier up North ????

thanks for the advice though,

much appreciated!