Being away from family

TheAceFace

I feel for you - 7 months is long!  My wife and 5 year old flew to our house in Laos on 20 March and I was supposed to be joining them for Songkran.  Now they're stuck there, and I'm at home in Bangkok.  My kid's International School has started term with online classes, which he is missing as there's no decent internet in the Lao village. I'm worried that food is running low out there, and if Covid reaches the village it will be horrendous as there's hardly any medical care available.

I'm just hoping the border will reopen next month and they can come home!  Trying times, although it could be worse.

This isn't an issue specific to Thailand.

Both my Thai son and American daughter live in Denver and are subject to a lockdown.

My wife really wanted him to drive up to us in South Dakota for his birthday, but he was afraid he'd get stopped by Colorado cops for unessential travel.

Interesting times my friends

Yes, not letting long term residents return, those with Thai spouse and children seems rather draconian, certainly when they are allowing Thai nationals back into the country. Immigration in Bangkok permitting a Thai national, with 2 children to enter while sending her foreign husband back to S. Africa wasn't just cruel and heartless, but quite beyond belief. Why weren't they just all quarantined together for 14 days?  If you are permitted to enter with a work permit, why aren't long time residents with (or without) Thai spouse permitted to return home to their families?

My friend in hospital in the UK for over a year with Cancer had his wife and child refused entry to the UK on the grounds of COVID. No compassionate grounds especially when he needed moral support and they had already paid for travel. It is a rediculous state of affairs. She and their son were more likely to catch something rather than pass on something seeing the no. of cases here and in UK.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:12 PM, TheAceFace said:

Thank you, yes my kids are also online learing, but I can see from afar that things are not right. They are telling me the rate is going up, but why is it not on the news. I would give anything to be there now, they miss their dad. Hope one day this will be over.

Just out of curiosity. What has 7 months stuck back home got to do with the coronavirus? You were able to come here in February. There were no restrictions at the time. 

• Like 1

I am stuck at work since Dec 2019 ( Due to Leave rotations) the country I am in is barred from Thailand at the moment. I think it will be months before regular flights start again then the big question will be is what do the Thai authorities want you to produce IE. insurance for coronavirus, medical certificate. Visa (one month in advance?) I miss my wife and children so much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Just read down a long list of bulletins. Panama does not allow own citizens to enter!

The "non-imigrant" visa system here has to be recognized as an epic fail.

Most countries allow people with citizen spouses or immediate family to enter.

Lives on hold for many but to keep family separated is truly backward.

Not if it saves lives! I saw in New York healthcare workers are staying at hotels instead of going home to families to prevent spreading the virus to their loved ones. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Just read down a long list of bulletins. Panama does not allow own citizens to enter!

The "non-imigrant" visa system here has to be recognized as an epic fail.

Most countries allow people with citizen spouses or immediate family to enter.

Lives on hold for many but to keep family separated is truly backward.

"Most countries" no. Most western countries, yes. Most Asian countries a definite "no". Thailand only with work permit. Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore - ditto. China - no foreigners at all, except diplomats. Families are definitely being torn apart in Asia, less so in the west.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff4114 said:

I am stuck at work since Dec 2019 ( Due to Leave rotations) the country I am in is barred from Thailand at the moment. I think it will be months before regular flights start again then the big question will be is what do the Thai authorities want you to produce IE. insurance for coronavirus, medical certificate. Visa (one month in advance?) I miss my wife and children so much.

None of that is relevant now. If you could return, it's only with a fit to fly certificate (same as Thais), a work permit followed by 14-days of quarantine at a hotel upon arrival. the medical certificate and covid-19 free certificate were effectively a polite way of saying "the borders are closed".

After this is all over? Who knows...will the requirements return to the usual status quo or will new ones be drawn up? We'll see.

Edited by drbeach

I am just happy my family are all ok in Thailand, as soon as this is over plans will made to catch up

We are strong and distance has never detracted from the love we have for each other

The overall priority is that we survive and enjoy the pleasure of sharing each others company once again

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 7:04 PM, TheAceFace said:

Im sure im not the only one, I have been stuck in Norway now for 7 months, unable to return back to Thailand.

Stay strong there buddy, your family are probably in one of the safest places in the world! this will blow over in time, once the "real" agenda has been realised, quite what that is I have no idea, take one day at a time, realise your limitations - take care & good luck ????

• Like 1

My kids message me when they go to bed and they ask me to come home. Been gone for two months, Lots of things are broken around the house, my wife sounds tired. I would love to get back somehow.

Hoping to see some news on potential reopening of flights.

• Like 2

I returned back to UK on the of 3rd March, normally I go back to Thailand around may_ june... that's not gonna be happening. Even in September I normally go for 3 week's, i don't think that's gonna be happening.  

So Christmas mybe..... but who knows....  

We only got married in feb. ????