Virologist calls for gradual easing of lockdown with change in public behaviour

rooster59

Virologist calls for gradual easing of lockdown with change in public behaviour

By The Nation

800_6e9513a2dbd4577.jpg

Dr Yong Poovorawan

An expert virologist at Chulalongkorn University, Dr Yong Poovorawan, has called for caution and safeguards in easing lockdown measures to coexist with Covid-19.

He made his remarks on Saturday (April 25), saying Thailand had taken measures that had helped contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus, as a result the country was spared a high death toll unlike many other countries.

“The Covid-19 outbreak has impacted the economy and people's lives, so the government needs to ease lockdown measures to coexist with the disease and keep it under control by using the public health system,” he said.

He said that easing lockdown measures must happen gradually.

“For example if the government reopens public parks, people must wear a mask and avoid gatherings while running may still have limitations,” he said.

“Open-air restaurants with spacious open areas may not have any problems, but air-conditioned restaurants with confined spaces must have strict measures, such as keeping a distance, thorough cleaning operation, and implementing ways to interact with others.

“Barber shops may have to implement rules, such as avoiding touching as much as possible, with both service providers and customers wearing masks, reducing conversation and limiting the number of customers inside the area. Meanwhile, operators may have to check the air ventilation system.

“Department stores have to implement rules regarding social distancing.

“If schools, especially schools that have a lot of students, have to open, the director must implement rules for online learning. It may be quite difficult for young children, but it will help reduce respiratory, hand, foot and mouth disease. Tutorial schools may not be able to open due to confined area.

“Sport activities that allow a certain distance, such as swimming, may be allowed for competition and broadcast, but people must be prohibited from watching sports competitions inside a stadium.”

He added that the Covid-19 outbreak would change people's behaviour, but he believes that they will get used to it.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386772

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-26

• Like 2

Was in a Supermarket yesterday everyone was wearing a mask but one lady was picking up meat almost every piece of meat with her bare hands

to check it even smelling it! The Supermarket provided FREE gloves and tongs to pick up the meat and there were plenty of staff they could have

told her to use cloves but they didn't seem to care. To top it she was constantly touching her mask. Anyway my point is people need to educated

about hygiene in relation to COVID19 as well and not just blanket instructed to wear a mask.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I am waiting to see how they manage the girls in the bars.  But I guess that since their activity is illegal anyway, it won't be a problem.

Working in a bar is not illegal, unless they are underage. Did you miss the press release before ? No prostitution was found in Pattaya ???????? Must be the same across the country ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, monkfish said:

Was in a Supermarket yesterday everyone was wearing a mask but one lady was picking up meat almost every piece of meat with her bare hands

to check it even smelling it! The Supermarket provided FREE gloves and tongs to pick up the meat and there were plenty of staff they could have

told her to use cloves but they didn't seem to care. To top it she was constantly touching her mask. Anyway my point is people need to educated

about hygiene in relation to COVID19 as well and not just blanket instructed to wear a mask.

You can't educate people like that.

Edited by UbonThani
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, monkfish said:

Shops have a duty to protect all customers, but some people are above a supermarket girl telling them to use tongs, easier for security to throw her outside i think, and be warned the next thai to step in front of me after i patiently Q to be served will be stepped all over as if they are not there, you have been warned lady in BigC Khonkaen at the cooked chicken counter, i will walk all over you. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He added that the Covid-19 outbreak would change people's behaviour, but he believes that they will get used to it.

Think of all those thousands of seminars that'll be missed... 

36 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I am waiting to see how they manage the girls in the bars.  But I guess that since their activity is illegal anyway, it won't be a problem.

There is no prostitution  in Pattaya. ????

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I can describe this in a few words. 

Glass separators, water, bubbles, nudity, dancing. 

Just go watch Cool Hand Luke and you will know exactly what I am talking about, 

The virologist is right. It is time to take the foot of the brake and ease back to normality - if for no other reason than to stop us all going stir crazy. Otherwise, we can expect more cases of suicide, domestic violence and sexual assault - and a growing mental health crisis.

Draconian measures such as the lockdown and curfew need to be phased out and our social life phased back in, by opening low-risk parks and beaches as well shops and restaurants. Fresh air, sunshine and exercise are vital for our good health

Mixing once more will help boost immune systems depressed by weeks of staying indoors and facilitate the gradual acquisition of the herd immunity we need to get rid of the virus once and for all.

The vast majority of people who become infected will suffer only minor symptoms or none at all, and well over 90 percent of confirmed cases fully recover. Our main priority must be to isolate and protect the high-risk elderly.

Edited by Krataiboy

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The virologist is right. It is time to take the foot of the brake and ease back to normality - if for no other reason than to stop us all going stir crazy. Otherwise, we can expect more cases of suicide, domestic violence and sexual assault - and a growing mental health crisis.

Draconian measures such as the lockdown and curfew need to be phased out and our social life phased back in, by opening low-risk parks and beaches as well shops and restaurants. Fresh air, sunshine and exercise are vital for our good health

Immune systems depressed by weeks of staying indoors will benefit enormously, while enabling millions of us to acquire the herd immunity which is the best chance of Thailand throwing off the virus.

It needs to re-emphasised that the vast majority of people infected by the virus have minor symptoms or none at all, and well over 90 percent of confirmed cases fully recover. Our main priority must be to isolate and protect the high-risk elderly.

Agreed, the virus is dangerous for the vulnerable but as long as measures are taken for the high risk then lockdowns should be eased. The only caveat I would add to that is to also have a rigorous testing campaign throughout the country so when more cases are found those areas can be locked down independently if necessary until controlled.

• Like 2

Getting people to automatically stay at least 1.5 meters apart, is still a challange.

There are people like protesters, hungry, anxious, unattentive, who just forget, or

do not care and stand shoulder to shoulder in support, who will crowd together

and continue to spread diseases, as they feel okay, so in their minds, they are

no danger to someone else.  This is why even parks are not a good idea for

some people.  This is why in some cases the old normal will not be back.

Geezer

• Confused 1

Yeah... I don't need governmental technocrats forcing me how to behave... You can F%*^ off!! If this had been a REAL pandemic, meaning this would have at least eclipsed the regular flu just to use one example, we would all have self  quarantinedout of necessity. I don't need mommy and daddy government to protect me, I'm a big boy now. And if you think the "social distancing" factor saved you all, I've got another vaccine for you that will fix... oh, wait, they've already thought of that. Because I'm waiting for the coronavirus vaccine to eliminate the coronavirus, just like the flu vaccine eliminated the flu. I remain dubious... when there's BIG pharma money to be made, not even to mention the ulterior motives that, well most you have no idea about. Sheeples, have been sheeples since the beginning of time, why evolve now eh!? jjj

• Like 1