Single-mum with two kids fights for survival after being laid-off amid Covid-19 crisis

webfact

Single-mum with two kids fights for survival after being laid-off amid Covid-19 crisis

By The Nation

800_e9a4795b208ffc8.jpg?v=1587794500

Napapach with her daughter Gail.

There are about 1.4 million single-parent families in Thailand and most of them have inadequate monthly income, according to recent studies. Napapach Payakkham’s family is one of them.

“I could not make ends meet, and now, even worse, I have lost my job,” Napapach, 49, says. She has just been laid off from her job at Thailand’s giant Central Department Store.

gailsinglemom.jpg

Gail gets very good grades in her school, says her mother Napapach.

She was laid off as the company said it wants to restructure its business to lessen the impact of the Covid-19 fallout. Central and other department stores have been ordered by the authorities to shutdown temporarily, as part of the Thai government's efforts to contain the spread of the new coronavirus. Due to the pandemic and lockdown restrictions, large numbers of people have lost their jobs and about 28 million have registered for the government's cash handout scheme which offers Bt5,000 a month for three months to 14 million people affected by the virus crisis. Napapach is not eligible for the cash handout, but she gets compensation from the company.

goodsinglemom.jpg

Napapapach's nephew 'Good' lives in Phitsanulok with her elderly parents.

Her former husband, a Nigerian national, left her after she gave birth to her daughter. She has one daughter, aged 7, who lives with her and studies in a Bangkok school. “I really worry about her future as now she studies in a dual-language programme at Sainamtip School in Bangkok, but after I lost job I might not be able to afford the school tuition fee,” she says.

Over the years, as she lost one job before getting another and being laid off later, she had to send her nephew, an eight-year-old, to stay with her elderly parents in Phitsanulok province three years ago, while she sent money to her parents for raising him. Her nephew calls her mum. Let's watch the video clip as she tells her story. Anyone who wants to contribute to support her family, can send money to her bank account: Kasikornbank 7192332847.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386759?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-27

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

There are about 1.4 million single-parent families 

Where do they come up with this ridiculously low number??? Out or 27 million that signed up, they think only 1.4 million are single mothers???

I take a wild guess, but I actually think they have better knowledge of that than you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I wondered what her job was when she had a 'Nigerian husband'.

Internet scamming ??? Her husband still hanging out around sukhumvit, try to trace him and let that scum pay for his own daughter . It's my geuss that he's still in thailand just left her because he doesn't want to carry the responsability for the kid he got . SCUM!!!!!!!!!(the husband i mean) . All in all a sad stort but there will be many more stories like this and they even have it worse . Hope thai people will now see how much their country cares about them . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, connda said:

It's time to open businesses, schools, and society back up.  The lockdown was based on flawed models and faulty projects  Actual data that is now surfacing is showing that Covid-19 is no more 'deadly' than the season flu.  This entire exercise in fear propagation and social control is going to end magnitudes times worse for the average person than if the covid-flu has been allowed to run it's course naturally.  The human immune system has evolved to withstand the yearly onslaught of viruses; the weakest few die, the vast, vast majority live and develop immunity.  Those issuing dictates from the confines of there ivory towers aren't the ones who are going to suffer - it's the average citizens who have been thrown under the bus by their 'leaders' who now delight in their power to make the public dance.

It's time to correct that mistake immediately.  Ms. Napapach is but one of what will be hundreds of millions whose lives have been economically shattered based on a gut-wrenching mistake by world-leaders.
It's time to get people back to work and get the economy running again.

"What is materializing is, in the state of California is 12% positives. You have a 0.03 chance of dying from COVID in the state of California. Does that necessitate sheltering in place? Does that necessitate shutting down medical systems? Does that necessitate people being out of work?
We’ve tested over 4 million… which gives us a 19.6% positive out of those who are tested for COVID-19. So if this is a typical extrapolation 328 million people times 19.6 is 64 million. That’s a significant amount of people with COVID; it’s similar to the flu. If you study the numbers in 2017 and 2018 we had 50 to 60 million with the flu. And we had a similar death rate in the deaths the United States were 43,545—similar to the flu of 2017-2018. We always have between 37,000 and 60,000 deaths in the United States, every single year. No pandemic talk. No shelter-in-place. No shutting down businesses…
"
--Dr. Dan Erickson and Dr. Artin Massihi

https://www.aier.org/article/open-up-society-now-say-dr-dan-erickson-and-dr-artin-massihi/

Who believes this story from 2 youtubers? Dr Dan Erickson is also on youtube.

OK, this might be the exception to the rule but many Thai single mothers have Thai men fathering their children. Almost all those women do not get any support, financially or otherwise, from the kid(s) fathers. Speaking to such women they unisono say the same, it is almost impossible to fight for alimony and, unless the father is a responsible man and contributes his share to the upbringing of the child, the mother remains alone without help.

Another nasty boil in the legal interpretation and implementation of Thai law. Latter also explains, why girls plying the night trade with kids are out for the catch of an innocent Farang to support them, their kid/children and the rest of the flock in upcountry provinces looking after the daughter's offspring(s). 

1 hour ago, Nino1986 said:

Dont worry your ex husband is probably on the way to migrate to Europe, especially to south of Italy where they made their own ghettoes. 

Probably in the back room on the internet, thinking up plan B.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Word said:

Why?  Are you suggesting that she was doing something untoward?  Perhaps she worked at Central, there are many legitimate Nigerians working in Thailand?

'She'..... was Thai... The long lost husband was 'Nigerian'................

AND as far as the last part of the last sentence where you say "there are many legitimate Nigerians working in Thailand?"   Don't you think your word many to "many legitamate Nigerians" to read "there MAY be a couple of legitamate Nigerians" and be sure to highlite the word 'MAY'..........???????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I find it hard to sympathise with most of these single mothers. Maybe taking precaution during the act would save them a lot of grief and prevent bestowing a ton of hardship on their offspring.

More forethought and less foreskin.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
spelling