Interesting take from Sweden

steelepulse

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Really. Sweden's suicide rate is 14.8, the UK's is 8.9. 66% higher. Superman has feet of clay, and I suspect it will get worse because governments are hushing up a spike in suicides during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Well, it's all those cold and dark nights, plus being trampled by feminists non-stop, it's enough to make any man despair.

People claim the Scandinavian countries are the happiest, the evidence, as you rightly point out, does not support that. Suicide rates in Denmark, Sweden are rather high.

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well, it's all those cold and dark nights, plus being trampled by feminists non-stop, it's enough to make any man despair.

People claim the Scandinavian countries are the happiest, the evidence, as you rightly point out, does not support that. Suicide rates in Denmark, Sweden are rather high.

Apparently the worst fate for warriors in Viking times was to be captured alive and given to the women. The tradition continues.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Pretty sure that's not true about Denmark.            

17 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Pretty sure that's not true about Denmark.            

Denmark actually also had higher than average suicide rates However, the trend in Denmark was falling:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2015/oct/23/viral-image/internet-graphic-says-suicide-rate-much-higher-den/

For some reason it peaked in the 1980s, coincidentally when feminism was in the ascendancy. Pure coincidence, I'm sure.

I much prefer Norway, Sweden or Finland, Denmark doesn't seem all that. The food in Denmark is very poor, it's very cold and dark, very high taxes, not my kind of place. Plus if you want to take a long-haul flight you have to go to another country. These little places are inconvenient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Denmark actually also had higher than average suicide rates However, the trend in Denmark was falling:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2015/oct/23/viral-image/internet-graphic-says-suicide-rate-much-higher-den/

For some reason it peaked in the 1980s, coincidentally when feminism was in the ascendancy. Pure coincidence, I'm sure.

I much prefer Norway, Sweden or Finland, Denmark doesn't seem all that. The food in Denmark is very poor, it's very cold and dark, very high taxes, not my kind of place. Plus if you want to take a long-haul flight you have to go to another country. These little places are inconvenient.

Interesting. So Denmark way down the list for Europe now then, much lower rate than the US. Sweden still fairly high for Western Europe but about on a par with the US these days.

8 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Interesting. So Denmark way down the list for Europe now then, much lower rate than the US. Sweden still fairly high for Western Europe but about on a par with the US these days.

Imagine living in a country with 20 hours of darkness or more in each day in some areas.

Depression could set in.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Hm, do you even know where Denmark is? Norway, Sweden, and Finland are further north, meaning they are colder and darker in the winter. Your knowledge about long haul flights is nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Yahooka said:

Norway do indeed record Covid-19 deaths in retirement homes as well .The total number of deaths so far is 202.

Sorry, I could only reffer to a Swedish newspaer where the Norweigan FHI-manager Camilla Stoltenberg said"Maybe we have had more death if we had included the retirrement homes in the statistics".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Just for your information. Kastrup, the airport in Copenhagen, Denmark, is the biggest and most international airport among the four country you mention.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Just for your information. Kastrup, the airport in Copenhagen, Denmark, is the biggest and most international airport among the four country you mention.

I do know that. Your quote was from Logosone, even though it had my name.

7 hours ago, Parsve said:

Yah, it's still poor, very limited choice. You can't fly to Philippines direct from Kastrup for instance. 

I know people from Denmark who have to drive all the way to Germany for the better flight connections. Happens a lot.

Of all the Scandinavian countries Denmark definitely is the worst one. Much preferred Sweden, Norway and Finland.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Looks like the number of deaths in Sweden is flattening out.  Now 25 deaths per day the last 3 days, from a peak of around 80-100/day.  I would think the peak was due to attacking the weakest people who were in a nursing home.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105753/cumulative-coronavirus-deaths-in-sweden/

Weekend lag in reporting - up 80 from 26th to 27th.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Edited by nauseus
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Looks like the number of deaths in Sweden is flattening out.  Now 25 deaths per day the last 3 days, from a peak of around 80-100/day.  I would think the peak was due to attacking the weakest people who were in a nursing home.

A weekend lag, Sweden are reporting many less deaths on the weekend. We’ll get a better indication today if the numbers are going down from today’s figures.

looking at their numbers, it seems worrying that new cases seem to have risen significantly in the Gothenburg region, their 2nd largest urban area.

7 minutes ago, chessman said:

looking at their numbers, it seems worrying that new cases seem to have risen significantly in the Gothenburg region, their 2nd largest urban area.

It confirms that there might be a strong link between covid and pollution.

11 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

It confirms that there might be a strong link between covid and pollution

It would rather confirm that resuming flights between Stockholm, the epicentre in Sweden, and gothenburg was a bad idea. 

2 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

It would rather confirm that resuming flights between Stockholm, the epicentre in Sweden, and gothenburg was a bad idea. 

Possibly, yes, so you don't think there may be a link between virus and air pollution ?

34 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Possibly, yes, so you don't think there may be a link between virus and air pollution 

I went on a skiing holiday to Sweden in March and got stuck when Corona exploded, can't get back. Its nice and clean but clearly more unsafe compared to dirty Bangkok. The statistics I see show no link between air quality and virus, rather the opposite. Dirty cities in Asia show low to very low virus infections per 100,000 inhabitants while clean Swedish (and other European) cities show much higher infection rates, despite much lower population density. 

I think it's down to usage of masks (mainly to limit spread rather than protecting yourself), stricter social distancing measures and possibly that the virus is less efficient at higher temperatures. 

Edited by MikeyIdea

On 4/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, Surelynot said:

He might be wrong about no second wave. There are indications that contracting the virus does not confer immunity.........that being the case Sweden could be in big trouble, unless of course all the people likely to die from the virus all die in the first wave!

If that is correct and it's not proven, we are ALL in trouble, not just Sweden.

Well done Sweden- stay the course and show the rest how it should have been done. We'll envy you from our poverty plagued countries.

• Sad 1

On 4/27/2020 at 12:39 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

Actually not.

Sweden: Population about 10 million,  2000+ deaths.

Norway: Population about 5 million, 200+ deaths.

But don't let facts get in your way.

How about we revisit when Norway opens up and they get their “second” wave which, because of their lockdown, will really be their first wave.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 10:13 PM, Logosone said:

I have to say Sweden's cold blooded non-chalance in the face of the virus, not overreacting with lockdown, hardly doing testing has been has been due to the testicular fortitude of Dr Tegnell, the man in charge. I'm quite impressed he's stood his ground.

As for the Vikings, they also helped create the Kievan Rus, and are related to the Russians. However, they weren't the smartest of cultures, took them a while to realise that raping and pillaging were not economically viable ways of life. In the end they capitulated to the cross anyway. But yes, quite interesting history.

But smart enough to turn 'Raping and Pillaging' into a tourist attraction ????  .... Visiting viking heritage stuff is very popular in Norway and the other Scandinavian countries.

Later as our civilization  got more 'advanced' we got new ways to 'rape and pillage' ....  More of the same just not with a simple axle and long boat .....

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 10:15 PM, Logosone said:

Well you could argue that it is more polarized. The people who are 'ok' are generally very happy. Hence why the Scan countries come very high up on all the various 'happy' indexes around ..

All countries have mental issues one way or the other .. and they are not helped by the cold and dark winter nights.

So overall, good pay, good health care, clean air etc .... all reasons for very many to be 'happy' ... but if you have mental issues .... That can cause any person to topple ... no matter how much wealth and 'happiness' there is for the general population.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 11:06 PM, Logosone said:

Imagine living in a country with 20 hours of darkness or more in each day in some areas.

Depression could set in.

But then 20 hours of sunshine .... in the summer ... drinking never stops ... 5555 if you can afford it ... Years ago I remember reading that more moonshine was made in Norway per person that any other nation.

It was very popular to drive to Sweden and buy 20kg bags of sugar ... 'We like to drink coffee' was the normal reply ... 555.

It was widely advertised in the 'press' ... 'Why buy distilled water for your car battery' ... when you can buy a still and make your own distilled water ... 555 ...  That eventually got banned .. Now you can not advertise 'stills' ...  If you went to a trade school ... 'metal worker' .. Very popular at the time to make a still as your final 'project' to show your metal work skills 555.

The Scandinavian history, vikings and such certainly is very interesting. We of course have the same in Germany, I went to a "sacrificial marsh" where they put cow skulls and other paraphernalia, most of it was of course modern repro.

I'm very skeptical of happiness indices, Goethe after all said he was happy for perhaps 4 weeks in his life. It all sounds very dishonest.

Yes, the Scandinavian countries, like most of Northern Europe, have good pay, clean air and good health care, but it takes a bit more to be happy. It takes the overcoming of real obstacles, and since the Scandinavians hardly have any maybe that's why they hit alcohol and have perhaps have had those high suicide rates in the past. But then, clearly the long dark nights have to be a factor.

Drinking, like in all very cold countries, is a major factor. But seeing alcohol prices alone in Sweden I certainly would committ suicide.

Edited by Logosone