computer case Live

Mr Smithy

You need to have your house checked to make sure outlets are grounded (it appears they are not).  If you do not have a multimeter hire someone and make very sure any shower heaters are indeed grounded.  If you can turn off outlet and open you can make sure there are 3 wires connected but only do if you are comfortable doing so.

28 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

We have just moved house and have discovered our computer case to be live when plugged into a 3 pin outlet 

You mean live or simply has a furry tingle when touched with the back of the hand? I use that to verify that mine is actually connected.

• Haha 2

Computer case should never be live.  Earth in the socket or not.  A live case is not good. With earth connected this would trip the breakers.

A little shock, tingles from the back of your fingers at one of the corner of the case are common, and they will be minimized with good earthing.

Question: did you got a real live shock or a 'tingle'.

Is your computer now in a different situation ? Now on a wooden desk and before on an shelf, or..  And your floor ?

If I put a computer on a real wood desk, I get lesser shocks then when the case is on a laminated table.

On the first floor more then second floor (conduction to your feets..)

If the computer is ungrounded, it's pretty normal to get a mild tingle. In fact, this is the case with many household appliances, microwaves, fridges etc etc. The reason is a capacitor between output and rectified line voltage putting a small 'safe' voltage on the PSU casing. A proper ground would simply drain that away. No ground, no drain.

Now, if you REALLY have raw phase voltage on the case, switch it off, walk away.

Edited by NilSS