Thailand reports single digit COVID-19 cases for second consecutive day

webfact

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

I was just reading some other articles, where they were really positive about the Chinese coming back, because they would consider Thailand to be a "low risk destination".

Ah right. There's an angle.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

You are aware that this is potentially fatal for people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. People who are healthy with no underliying medical issues have succumed.

People who are likely obese, eat a terrible diet or are otherwise susceptible. It is all about the body's natural immunity. Even young people have compromised systems. Heavy drinkers, heavy smokers, heavy people, and other factors. Age alone tells a very small part of the story. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

all these in Phuket then?

2 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

This is what I don't understand.  Phuket Forum lists all of today's 7 cases as coming from Phuket. None of them is on the EC commission! Also, 6 out of the 7 new cases had no symptoms, which is rather alarming!  How many more people in Thailand are wandering around without displaying symptoms!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1161772-7-new-cases-in-phuket-today-total-214-tuesday/

I am confused - 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386907

Among the new cases, three were in Bangkok, three in Phuket and one in Nakhon Ratchasima.

Do the numbers overlap in some way otherwise..................:unsure:

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Extrapolate that figure then...

55,000+ deaths out of 66,000,000 = less than 0.1% IFR

Whilst 55,000 dead people is a lot, it's nowhere near what they predicted initially so kind of a relief I guess ??

55k deaths is what the USA is at NOW. They may or may not be at the top of the curve. Even if they are at the top, that means half way through. So another 55k deaths to go? Pretty close to the low end of what was predicted and who’s to say they won’t get a second wave with the chaos that currently reigns there.

2 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

This is what I don't understand.  Phuket Forum lists all of today's 7 cases as coming from Phuket. None of them is on the EC commission! Also, 6 out of the 7 new cases had no symptoms, which is rather alarming!  How many more people in Thailand are wandering around without displaying symptoms!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1161772-7-new-cases-in-phuket-today-total-214-tuesday/

Ah I just figured it out. Since they are low on supplies for testing, it's likely all testing is done in BKK, that's where the reference labs are in any case. They got a delivery of samples from Phuket and tested that lot. No idea when those samples were taken.

Edited by DrTuner

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

55k deaths is what the USA is at NOW. They may or may not be at the top of the curve. Even if they are at the top, that means half way through. So another 55k deaths to go? Pretty close to the low end of what was predicted and who’s to say they won’t get a second wave with the chaos that currently reigns there.

By the same token, the % of infected, asymptomatic, people will go up as well, which means the IFR will likely remain in the same ball park 0.1%...

26 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I'd be ok if those that want to go out first get injected with SARS-CoV-2 and then stay 14 days in quarantine. If you want to go out go out.

I think we all went out every day during Jan/Feb with plenty of tourists all around. I was fine back then. If you want to stay home & be safe stay home. I want to go out, wear a mask & keep my distance. 

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

If these single figures are correct then why are they still banning inter provincial travel just doesn't make sense to me .

Neither me ... I caught caught with the family being up-country and me being in Pattaya ... and my motor needs a good run out

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

If these single figures are correct then why are they still banning inter provincial travel just doesn't make sense to me .

They're only as good as the number tested. Otherwise ther only here...i numbers of importance are deaths, and remaining in hospital. Imo

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I think it's just you mate! No problem in my area of Isaan.

Right, so Phuket independently announced seven new cases today and according to Bangkok Post only three of the confirmed were in Phuket. BKK Post also mentioned the number might be higher because of limited testing. How limited, we do not know. Top Secret.

Ain't it fun when they start to leak their own data that's supposed to be "confidential". Most likely the Phuket cases are in the test queue for confirmation, but were already tested positive in the local lab.

Edited by DrTuner

I just read from the Finnish state broadcaster's website (YLE, not allowed to link because it's in Finnish) that some of the RT-PCR tests have shown multiple negatives until they took a sample from further down the trachea. Nasal swabs came out negative. From what I've seen Thailand samples using the normal nasal swab. Yet another possibility for false negatives. Doctors estimate the accuracy when using nasal swabs is 70-90%.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Very interesting. Got checked on April 15. Wonder how he was checked? Tested for covid? False negative? You're ok go home? All the time being contagious. Only spotted when symptoms got worse and he went to hospital. How many others like this are there? The US tests about as many in a day as Thailand has tested since it started here. High numbers of infections in US because they are being caught through high numbers of testing not just hospital presentations. Low amounts of testing must conversely give you lower numbers. One also wonders how their tracing is going to go with this particular case of a person with covid in the comunity for three weeks, A mask will certainly help with stopping the spread but three weeks is a long time in this respect.

Respondents are assuming the person was out and about in the community. Surely, if he was sick and was told to go, he was told to go home and self-isolate for 14 days to see what happens? What do we know about the veracity of the bit "you're ok" and what did that mean in practice.

Silly me? Someone may have dropped a <deleted> here; if so they should be shamed.

5 hours ago, monkfish said:

I think it's time to start testing for Asymptomatic carriers.

So 100% testing, and while you're waiting for the results it's 100% isolation...?

Or you're just going to go around in circles and disappear where the sun don't shine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I got tested today, on the boat I work on.. Captain bought enough tests for everyone onboard.

So far everyone has returned negative results for both antigens and antibodies.

I'm disappointed as I was hoping for positive results, which might provide immunity from future infections !!

Not sure how reliable these tests are ie false negatives ??

REALLY? He bought testing kits? Sorry if I am skeptical but I have not heard of any private parties buying testing kits. Where did he get them? What kind of clout does he have to buy for staff on a "boat." If you are seaman you would call it a ship, unless you are working on a tiny fishing boat. Then I'm skeptical as we know how poorly people working on fishing boats are treated in this part of the world. 

9 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

REALLY? He bought testing kits? Sorry if I am skeptical but I have not heard of any private parties buying testing kits. Where did he get them? What kind of clout does he have to buy for staff on a "boat." If you are seaman you would call it a ship, unless you are working on a tiny fishing boat. Then I'm skeptical as we know how poorly people working on fishing boats are treated in this part of the world. 

He bought them at a clinic here in Singapore. I called it a boat because it's an 85m private yacht and not technically a ship. Anything else you need to know ??

IMG_20200428_112915.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So 100% testing, and while you're waiting for the results it's 100% isolation...?

Or you're just going to go around in circles and disappear where the sun don't shine.

Be realistic. More testing is needed

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This one from the 7 new cases worries me:

"47 year old Thai man looking after his grandchild at home. lives in Koh Kaew (east coast near Phuket Town), fell sick on April 6 with symptoms of a dry cough. On April 15 went to get checked but everything was ‘OK’. On April 27 symptoms got worse so he decided to visit Vachira Hospital."

So he was in the community with symptoms from the 6th to the 27th, how many others has he infected? 

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/cv19-phuket/7-new-cases-in-phuket-today-total-214-tuesday

How you would find someone infected????? 

By testing!!!! 

But they know how to create only low number of cases:

Don't test!!! 

Forward Thailand!! Prayut will care for you 

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You are aware that this is potentially fatal for people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. People who are healthy with no underliying medical issues have succumed.

A New York nurse was interviewed on CNN yesterday. She said about the 30s to 50 year olds that they call them the walkie talkies cos they are not moribund like the older breathless patients who are clearly seriously ill - "maybe they have some (could not catch the medical term but the implication was that it was something less fatal). We check them in and they are up and about; you go back and check them an hour later and they are dead"!!

Pretty frightening testimony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posts using content from unapproved YouTube social media sites have been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source, the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook etc.) should always be shown.

Some off topic posts have been removed. 

Numbers are numbers! Thailand was the first country outside of China to get the Covid 19 virus on the 13th of January. Miraculously, Covid has been contained in Thailand even though there were still thousands of Chinese tourists in Thailand in February. Ask yourself WHY is this the case ....... 

12 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

A New York nurse was interviewed on CNN yesterday. She said about the 30s to 50 year olds that they call them the walkie talkies cos they are not moribund like the older breathless patients who are clearly seriously ill - "maybe they have some (could not catch the medical term but the implication was that it was something less fatal). We check them in and they are up and about; you go back and check them an hour later and they are dead"!!

Pretty frightening testimony.

It is the same as what my Daughter in Florida has been telling me.  She is a Surgical ICU Nurse Practitioner and they were seeing things like this before, it was rare, but the doctors were calling it something similar to takasubo crio heart failure.  It did not make sense then and she said they are now trying to figure out what kind of stressors COVID is causing the system.  

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It hints at it, as do many other pieces of circumstantial evidence. Large scale random antibody testing is needed to get real proof. And not forthcoming, "not cost effective". At 400-600 baht a pop for antibody test that takes 10-15mins, seemingly too expensive. Nice priorities.

I saw an interview by Jonathjon Head of the BBC with the senior medical/policy guy (can't remember his name) where he said early on in the piece that Thailand could not afford the 2,000 baht that the tests for Covid infection cost - and hence the claim that they had focused on track and trace contacts with 180 teams doing that. Has somebody made a similar claim that antibody testing is not cost effective?

Question/interested. Not a challenge???? 

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

From Thai enquirer 

The government said that it has tested 178,083 cases as of April 24, an increase of 35,494 cases from the last reporting date on April 20.

Shame they don't seem to want to share the results