Well done Thailand for Covid-19 response! Foreign tourism set to return in fourth quarter

webfact

4 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

How much has he contributed to the relief effort I wonder?

well he was only a millionaire when he took office I believe.  So office has done him very well to become a multi billionaire.  I do not think he will give up any of his own money to help out the little folk, just collect more for himself and his wife probably

• Like 1

My 2 cents: Only domestic tourism i hope..

If virus is not resolved somehow internationally by next winter TAT should promote only whole wintertime tourists not shorttime visitors. Wintertime visitors should of cource have some kind of covid- 19 certificates which may be available to get that time easier than now,,

Edited by thaitero
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

so what happens during the next flu season? you remember the flu, don't you? the one where you get a sore throat, then a fever and then you cough a lot.  

And the Chinese will go a step further and hark up their nasty phlegm and spit it on the Thai streets everywhere. But hey, let's roll out the red carpet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, garrya said:

It ain't matter who good Thailand performed if the whole world is struggling with the virus.

Good efforts but it can't help to restore tourism.

Especially when everything going to be double the former price such as aeroplane tickets ,hotels,insurance ect ect,can forget tourism for a looooong time,ooh sorry that will be long after a vaccine can be found

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

With the "new normal" there will be a vacant seat between each passenger so the price will be twice as much.

The price could be more than double unless airlines are bailed out on a large scale by governments across this great planet of ours for financial losses resulting from the coronavirus pandemic. Not sure how many governments would list this as a tip-top priority among the various other competing demands on their resources at the present time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Domestic is the first target, but China is in their sights for next year - or even 4th quarter.

China is the logical choice - both countries have very low infection rates and China is going back to work now, so they will have money to spend.

they can consider selected regions of china.  i'm here on hainan island, mainly agriculture and tourism.  no virus cases here in over 6 weeks, with most everything back to normal.  still have 14-day quarantine for overseas arrivals (chinese only for now), and for chinese arriving from the mainland.   primary-high schools are all open, and universities can open after may 10th.

just learned our local hospital has covid testing available.  will have to check on waiting times and costs, as thai gf wants to go home to visit relatives when direct flights are available.

if the chinese government desires, they can easily set policy to expand tourism.  medical costs are even lower than thailand, insurance as well.  a standard policy here with coverage similar to my gf's bupa (10k baht annual) costs about 7.5k baht annually, although valid in china only.  i'm sure a special covid travel cover could be initiated rather quickly.

same with airlines.  domestic air travel is picking up, i believe there are now flights in/out of wuhan.  they've got planes ready to go, with fuel costs the lowest they've been in ages.  combine that with thousands of empty hotel rooms in phuket and pattaya, along with desperate tour operators, and i think we can safely predict the future of tourism - assuming no massive numbers in a second or third wave.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Just where does he think tourists will be coming from in around November? Also, has he perhaps engaged his brain and thought about the risks of allowing tourists to enter the country?

You are right there,  we've just got 4 plane loads of out own back in OZ from all points around the globe and they're expecting an increase from zero cases last three days. Maybe international travel out of OZ end of year to Kiwi land only, that will give you an idea of their thinking, looks like Asia and the Northern hemisphere will be no go .

3 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Where the he'll are they going to come from the whole world is decimated by this virus maybe China!  the fortune teller may help  but if it is the same one I used who said I'd win the lottery I wouldn't hold much hope

India. Not had too many cases and deaths according to their government reports. And all those high spending rich Indian families and billionaire playboys are just itching to travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Domestic is the first target, but China is in their sights for next year - or even 4th quarter.

China is the logical choice - both countries have very low infection rates and China is going back to work now, so they will have money to spend.

The Russians too is my guess, friends in the south have been fielding enquiries weekly about their guesthouses from mother Russia.

Just now, fondue zoo said:

The Russians too is my guess, friends in the south have been fielding enquiries weekly about their guesthouses from mother Russia.

Surely not. They're only just gathering up a full head of steam with infections.

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

did you read the post? that's what they said .....  """agreed that domestic tourism should be targeted first""

Domestic Tourism, or International Tourism. It matters not one jot.

Thai people who have money do not Holiday in Thailand, and International Travelers will be busy working overtime to catch up on the Mortgage repayments for their Homes.

Of course  there are the Chinese, but who would be stupid and greedy enough to court them, with the real issue of Covid returning if you do so.

This load of Bafoons need to wake up and smell the Coffee.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Just where does he think tourists will be coming from in around November? Also, has he perhaps engaged his brain and thought about the risks of allowing tourists to enter the country?

so never let tourists back in again is that ya solution? 

Everything that I've read has said watch out for next Fall....when COVID-19 is expected to make its deadly return at the same time as the annual Flu in the northern hemisphere. Of course no one knows how strong of a return it will be (the Spanish Flu was at least 10 times stronger the second year) but if it returns in full force, no one will be travelling again then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Domestic Tourism, or International Tourism. It matters not one jot.

Thai people who have money do not Holiday in Thailand, and International Travelers will be busy working overtime to catch up on the Mortgage repayments for their Homes.

Of course  there are the Chinese, but who would be stupid and greedy enough to court them, with the real issue of Covid returning if you do so.

This load of Bafoons need to wake up and smell the Coffee.

Respectfully, sir. I think you're missing the whole point of the exercise, which was not to inform, nor even to speculate, but simply to get himself in the paper, hopefully with the name spelt correctly. The nine-day rule applies here; in nine days most Thais won’t even remember the article by which time, this genius would have thought up another way of getting  himself in the paper again.

No such thing as bad publicity.

• Like 1

The real indicator for this are the airlines.

Now I'm excluding TG, since thats not a real airline, but they are giving guidance that passenger numbers won't rebound until well into 2021.

So how these tourists are going to get to Thailand, Swim?

• Haha 1

Yes, I was especially impressed by the way the Government took money from the health sector to bolster their own Covid measures.

So now those lazy hospitals won't have too much money to spend on other sick people.

18 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The real indicator for this are the airlines.

Now I'm excluding TG, since thats not a real airline, but they are giving guidance that passenger numbers won't rebound until well into 2021.

So how these tourists are going to get to Thailand, Swim?

hong kong airlines

china eastern

china southern

air china

hainan airlines

shanghai airlines

shenzhen airlines

xiamen air

spring airline

high speed rail from china to vientiane opens december '21.

Straight from CNBC:  So maybe they will also be amongst the first to return to Tourism, but who knows

As Australia, New Zealand and South Korea gradually re-open their economies and lift lockdown measures, their currencies have also jumped significantly compared to earlier this year, when the outbreak ravaged the Asia Pacific region.  Countries like Austrailia, New Zealand, and South Korea are among the few which managed to buck the trend and put a lid on the coronavirus outbreak, at least for now. Their success has boosted investor confidence and it's showing in the strength of their currencies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/these-countries-effectively-contained-the-coronavirus-and-their-currencies-are-surging-in-response/ar-BB13iu2i?ocid=msedgdhp

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1