Boxing Stadium Beer Bars at Entrance to Walking Street

kevinsan

Pattaya has been sleazy, sexy and "naughty" for decades.

Therefore it's safe to assume that most, if not all the foreigners living there arrived whilst it was already those things.

Unless you arrived when it was a sleepy little village of course.

So a question arises: If that's what it is and you don't like it, why did you choose to live there in the first place?

It's not as if there was no choice in Thailand of places that are NOT Pattaya - indeed I have heard it said by Thais and fellow foreigners that Pattaya isn't Thailand - it's "Farangland". I often refer to it as "Disneyland for Adults"...and I like it the way it is with all its faults. When I get tired of it, I can leave...simples!

My travels around Thailand to both tourist places (like Phuket) and other areas such as Essarn (Issan?) and places like Uttaradit confirm to me that Pattaya is unique in its character.....don't change it, love it or leave it.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 6:59 PM, Oldie said:

I don't want to change Pattaya or its reputation. I only dream of a better organized Pattaya. Just compare the Beach Road from today with the Beach Road when it was full of bars. The nightlife will have to move to cheaper locations and it happens already. Perhaps this move could happen more organized. 

Why not just move to Chaing Mai if you want a boring life? Walking street is & always has been the life of Pattaya & a fun place to take people to when they visit. The beach there isn't any better than right down the road with a thousand umbrellas. I don't think Pattaya has ever been known for any world class beach. Perhaps move down south if you want better beach life. No one is ever going to change Pattaya's style & as for a nice family destination unless your going to get your teenager some action there are better places in Thailand than Pattaya for a family destination.

When Ford decided to open up out here, at some bar I asked them why Pattaya? Answer: We love the lifestyle. Fast cars and faster women. Perhaps with all the bar closures, GM is off to more enthusiastic pastures. Save Pattaya! Support the Bar Malls.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:54 AM, Oldie said:

I had a dream... 

They should remove the sex bars from the Walking Street and create there a nice area with things like restaurants, small shops and sea view. The bars can be outside Pattaya where only people go that want to go there - there is no need for a beach location. They should move also all other red light areas from the city to this new location and create a paradise for people looking for something like this without disturbing others. Of course there needs to be good and cheap public transportation to this entertainment area. This bar chaos without zoning would come to an end and everyone could be happy. 

Here is a novel idea. Why don't people who are looking for beach front, family focused, entertainment area travel somewhere else. There are at least a hundred areas like that around the world. There is only one walking street.

Edited by cheapcanuck
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Here is a novel idea. Why don't people who are looking for beach front, family focused, entertainment area travel somewhere else. There are at least a hundred areas like that around the world. There is only one walking street.

They don't need to go somewhere else--and they aren't.  Walking Street and Soi 6 are just a small part of Pattaya.  I never go to either and many tourists don't, as well.  A family can have a very nice holiday in Pattaya, staying in Wong Amat by the beach, Jomtien, or Cosy Beach.  Side trips to Noong Nooch Garden, Cartoon Network water park, Floating Market, the Aquarium, boat trip to one of the islands, a movie and some shopping at fun Terminal 21, the Kaan show, etc.  Meanwhile, WS and Soi 6 are still there for those who come to Pattaya for more adult entertainment.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Too many people out of work, loosing family members, unable to pay bills, and the need to work is urgently needed.

that's a recipe for escalating violence by local thugs. Even if  some of the venues ever reopen, dwindling revenues and semi-empty streets will be a haven for criminals. I bet that would be

the final nail in coffin,

the last straw that broke the camel's back,

fat lady singing...

the end of opera

Edited by pattayadude