I have free electricity for 3 months (April, May, June)

AndyAndyAndy

11 minutes ago, 448glb said:

Same here. When this Virus is all over I will get solar.

Solar is interesting.

I looked into it about 7-8 years ago and the start up cost ( initial outlay ) were very very high, i'm not sure if it's become more affordable?

14 minutes ago, 448glb said:

And I am sure if you had free electric you would still do the same ????

Actually yes.

We don't have aircon in our house. And when staying in hotels (free electricity) aircon is forbidden to my wife too. Using aircon and going from cold rooms to hot outside temperatures makes me sick. Every single time. I'm relatively young and healthy, 30, but for some reasons my body can't tolerate aircons.

• Like 2

last 10-months, i can run AC all day, everything all day, "FREE".  i always find a place, hotel, wherever, where everything is included.  i would say my rent is only about 500 baht more than others....and i'm definitely using more than 500 baht and i never have to worry.  this might change next month when i move.  once i had a place that couldn't read the numbers right, and sometimes my bill was 20 baht.  lol.  sometimes it was 800 baht when i thought it should be low, at another place.

maybe next month i'll record the meter number....but we'll see.  

i don't like Aircon all day, only a few hours.  It's a newer model, but some have mold or those chemicals are bad.  a fan is fine, usually.  but 2 hours of AC in the middle of the day really does help.   never at night.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

You must use an aweful lot of power. Our average bill is 350 baht per month

So how many units do you use please? 350/30 days = 11.66 Bht per day = 2.9 units per day. Is this possible?

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I absolutely amazed by people that can live without A/C at this time of year, how on earth can that be comfortable? 

Because we are not spoiled to have air-con 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:04 PM, thequietman said:

Aircon, fridge freezer, all household appliances, all operate fine on 5 amp. ????

To get free electricity for 3 months the consumption must be less than 150 units = 150kWh. I have a hard time believing when running an air-con,TV, maybe a fan,a fridge/freezer (possibly even a microwave) and a few lamps, that the consumption will be less than 150 units. 

29 minutes ago, Henricus said:

Because we are not spoiled to have air-con 

A ridiculous answer. The reason is that you don't need an air-con in most countries in Europe,and those are not normally installed. My guess is you're a cheap charlie and can't afford an air-con. Every normal person uses an air-con on and off when it's hot. Who wants to go to bed when it's 28-30°C at night during the hottest period? 

• Like 2

Me too, we changed to a 15/45 meter some time ago, but for the life of me can't remember why.

We have two houses but only me and my wife live here, 2 A/Cs, computers, fridges freezers, washing m/c, dryer, coffee m/c, fans.......oh heaps of items and we are between 200 and 300 units.

Compared to our consumption when we lived in UK, I have no complaints at all.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, Shocked said:

750 a month. You must run a fan 3 hours a day. lol  I have never seen a bill that low. Of course I have AIR. 

I have a wife and 3 children, 1 child and wife home pretty well 24/7, my electric bill is usually around 1000 bhts, the largest I've ever had is 1200, we don't use air con, but several fans on pretty much all the time, and all the usual stuff, fridge/freezer, electric kettle etc. Air Con is the no. one thing for raising your electric bill. If you just use it for 30 minutes or so before you sleep on a hot night you can keep the bill down, but if your using it for several hours a day your bill will rocket upwards...

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I absolutely amazed by people that can live without A/C at this time of year, how on earth can that be comfortable? 

Easy, it's called acclimatization, (A posh word for getting used to it).

This only happens if you don't use air con much. I'd really struggle without electric fans though, hard to imagine living here without those. Air con I can take or leave...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I never have liked Aircon, it gives me a sore throat, fan is ok for me

52 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

To get free electricity for 3 months the consumption must be less than 150 units = 150kWh. I have a hard time believing when running an air-con,TV, maybe a fan,a fridge/freezer (possibly even a microwave) and a few lamps, that the consumption will be less than 150 units. 

Didn't say that I wouldn't be getting a bill, only that my appliances work fine on 5 amp. ????

I had a 15amp analog meter until a few months ago when the PEA decided to change all meters in my Moo Baan to 5 amp digital. The new meter overloads to 100 amp. The old one overloaded to far less. So what's my amperage now? And what has amperage got to do with anything? Consumption, units (kwh), is what you pay for not amperage.

Edited by Keesters

When i first moved here 10 years ago our bill was around 1,000 baht a month - just for fans, lights, a tv and a water pump for the well, plus a few small kitchen appliances. Surviving without air-conditioning that first year was a struggle come April, had to sleep naked with a bowl of ice/water and a wet towel.

We then installed one air-conditioner in the bedroom, and was pleasantly surprised that the bill only went up about 500 baht. Most of year didn't need it and back then in cold season actually needed a quilt. Now only need a quilt less than 10 days a year - night time temperatures are now a lot higher.

We now have 2 air-conditioners (but rarely use both at once), 2 fridge-freezers and a shop with 2 drink coolers and 3 washing machines. Bills are now 3000-5000 a month. Also i find mornings in hot season are hot by 8 a.m., hard to do work any more unless cloudy.

Although daytime maximum temperatures have only gone up in the cold season, not the hot, i feel that the typical days are warmer earlier, for longer and temperatures often fall very slowly at night so still above 30 indoors at midnight for a large part of the year. Air conditioners now work for 18 hours a day in the hot season. Used to be a lot less.

Will not get for free, but a reduction next month would be nice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I had a 15amp analog meter until a few months ago when the PEA decided to change all meters in my Moo Baan to 5 amp digital. The new meter overloads to 100 amp. The old one overloaded to far less. So what's my amperage now? And what has amperage got to do with anything? Consumption, units (kwh), is what you pay for not amperage.

You too; Check Ohms law ; 5AX220V(240) = 1100W= 1,1kwh That s what it has to do with it.......

2 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

You too; Check Ohms law ; 5AX220V(240) = 1100W= 1,1kwh That s what it has to do with it.......

2 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

The 100A Overload is not Nominal Consumption.. It is the Max Current your meter can let run before melting... Rated capacity of meters is expressed as 5-15A for example, and so on;

On 4/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

3 adults living here, normal stuff like fridge, fans, TV, computer, lights etc. Just no aircon. Sometimes children come to holiday or something, then it goes to ~850 baht. Sometimes only 2 adults stay, then it goes to 650 Baht.

I have no idea why you all have like 8000 Baht bills. What are you doing, mining a bitcoin or something?

All my light bulbs are smart lights using 7W, I also use LED strips with under 10W behind the TV and in the bedroom. 
Other than that I have just a low consuming computer with 2 monitors, maybe the TV running as well. 

It is really the AC that makes the bill high fast as I still easily pay 2500 baht a month. When it is cold the bill is still like 1500 baht minimum. Just a 2BR house, government rates. I was told that I have to pay the same as in Feb for the next 3 months which is lucky as we had a 1600B bill in that month and now use 2.5-3K.

Do have to mention that the house is being occupied 24/7 and so we use everything all day round. Not that bad actually, from that perspective.
Most people with insane high bills have 2-3x my size house but also leave doors open while AC running, that easily makes bills go up by a few K over a month.
Or they have BTS girl wives who think you need to run it on 20 celcius all the time.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Who needs air-con and hot water?

A/con makes you sick and warm water is for wimps.

Some people need to toughen up.

Because people can afford it and it is comfortable? The same applies to taking a dip in the water to cool down. 
Proper use of AC would not make you sick at all. Doesn't mean people would not be able to survive with out but why would you want sweaty balls all day for no reason in a country that is relatively cheap already with any other housing aspect. Electric is the only real cost to be honest.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Because people can afford it and it is comfortable? The same applies to taking a dip in the water to cool down. 
Proper use of AC would not make you sick at all. Doesn't mean people would not be able to survive with out but why would you want sweaty balls all day for no reason in a country that is relatively cheap already with any other housing aspect. Electric is the only real cost to be honest.

I'm out at the farm every day from about 3. 

Fresh air. Lovely. The ponds are a bit low so swimming is not an option; so it's a wash at home in the evening instead. I've never been a great sweater, so a quick pause in front of the fan - with shorts at knee level - sorts it for an hour or so.

Don't be such a wimp ChaiyaTH. Turn off the A/con. Save some money and donate the savings to the local home for unmarried mothers.

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Yeah, one at the time.......Check Ohms law  5AX220V (240) = 1100W

Nope, as I type this, aircon is on, fridge freezer running fine, as is the normal fan. If I want to boil the kettle, no probs.

I am not a leccy guy, but everything is workin OK. ????

Edited by thequietman

59 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

so a quick pause in front of the fan - with shorts at knee level - sorts it for an hour or so.

So, you pull down ur shorts to knee level!  Wife don't mind U standin there for an hour like that??? ????

31 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Nope, as I type this, aircon is on, fridge freezer running fine, as is the normal fan. If I want to boil the kettle, no probs.

I am not a leccy guy, but everything is workin OK. ????

Just calculate... I'm not saying it doesn't work.. if you look at my other reply you can read standard meters are rated 5-15A.

Maybe small low consumption AC, fridge,etc,

Or maybe , this is a joke, someone bypassed the meter. 555555555