Lifting booze ban could fuel contagion: Taweesin

snoop1130

16 hours ago, The Farang said:

They always ban alcohol,  this is nothing new.  If they regularly ban alcohol,  then there is obviously an alcoholism problem in the country. 

You got it !

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

52 deaths and that is first a reason to ban alcohol and keep the entire country on lock down.  Heck on a normal day in Thailand 55 people per day every day die from traffic accidents.  Now if you are worried about people congregating outside of their homes drinking, why not pass a temporary ordinance that drinking alcohol in public would lead to a fine.  Did it ever strike the Thai authorities that 1. allowing restaurants to open but without alcohol sales did them little good since most of the profit comes from selling alcohol. 2. That the rest of the world though on lock down with far greater incidence of coronavirus did not ban alcohol sales. 

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression you are surprised? 

I heard about the police station, yesterday,  from what i consider to be a reliable source. 

surprise does not really describe my reaction, just <deleted> stunned more like it!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Best to ban food, shopping at the mall, markets.  Im sure the good Dr. and his political friends all managed to stock up before the crisis.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sujo said:

No, you ban and fine those sitting in groups eating it. Food is essential, alcohol is not.

But you can enjoy it alone at night while watching TV whereas food is generally consumed as a group in Thai society .....!!!

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

"CCSA spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin said the ban would remain in place until May 31 for the benefit of all people"

So people can still eat together, drink coffee and perhaps a coke, but not drink alcohol???

Even if Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin was correct, it doesn't make any sense, so he must be incorrect. What he is saying is ban the sale of alcohol until the end of May, then by magic the risk of contagion is over? Until an effective vaccine has been developed and given out, there will obviously be a risk of contagion, especially when the Chinese are invited back, as we all know they love social distancing!!!

Thai economy is suffering with no tourism. Dr T decides to make it worse with no alcohol sales. Cov19 new cases is below 10 per day! Bars etc are closed. Having a beer at home CANNOT spread cov19!!!!!!!!!! 

Right that is it, I am starting to grow weed.

Fed up with these spunktrumpets and <deleted>wombles who run the country and are only managing to make a bad situation worse for everybody.

I beleive the poor young lady who committed suicide after calling the PM heartless and uncaring spoke for each and every Thai person. 

Everyday, see Thais sitting around eating together, no Social Distancing!!

The Alco Ban is a farce!! 

The Gov't's actions in this Debacle, will impact on Thai economy greatly!!

Edited by RayG
  • Like 2

What other country in the entire WORLD is banning alcohol sales? 

Drinking in Bars & restaurants sure. 

But not buying and taking it HOME!

Thailand cov19 has one of the lowest cases & deaths tally, NOTHING to do with alcohol. Numbers now are below 10 per day, way below!,

Economy is suffering & this only makes it worse, WAY WORSE!

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

All people, except most readers of Thaivisa, me included

Useless to open our restaurant again, no booze, no international tourists, only in outside and close 9 pm????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Sujo said:

Im surprised communal eating is not banned. It should be and it is in malaysia. Food isnt banned as it is a necessity of life. Communal eating is not.

What about wearing a mask? If you cover your mouth and nose, you are restricting your breathing, I never cover my nose when wearing a mask.

17 hours ago, CLS said:

Good opportunity to study some homebrew beer recipes.

My home brewed wine tastes like a cross between cough mixture and parafin. To make it drinkable, I have to mix it with cola! Because of this ban, I'm now forced to drink twice as much of the wretched stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Farang said:

They always ban alcohol,  this is nothing new.  If they regularly ban alcohol,  then there is obviously an alcoholism problem in the country. 

In todays world, which country does not have an alcohol problem?

16 hours ago, smedly said:

total hogwash

If you don't want people to gather socially then man up and enforce that

Denying public access to alcohol solves nothing

Makes you wonder why some people ever supported the military takeover, doesn't it.

• Like 1

I have news for Taweesin. Banning alcohol accomplishes nothing. There is a reason why South Africa is the only other nation in the world that did it, besides Thailand. As long as people practice correct social distancing, whether they enjoy a beer together or not makes absolutely no difference. All it does is deny the masses a small pleasure, during stressful times, and the ban is light years beyond ignorant and unproductive. Most alcohol is consumed at home, and the restaurants being allowed to reopen, but not serve beer is beyond silly. And I am not much of a drinker. I am referring more to the social liberty aspect of this equation. Another example of the government over reaching in its authority.

• Thanks 1

What's the big deal?? Can't stop drinking for a month or two?? Drinking always leads to no good.  Eating does not for the most part.  Stop acting silly and stay home.  We are almost there.. foolish alcoholics!! 

• Sad 4

So!! Does this Government make money on this Alcohol? I’ve talked to people all over the world ( maybe there just in right places) and they say they still can go and get alcohol when they do there shopping. If we are not to gather or be within arms length of one another would it not make sense to allow us alcohol in are places. I’m sure it’s better than going over to others and sitting around with them in a dark <deleted> in corner sharing a beer or two?  Maybe it I’ve had to much salt air in my body all my life?! Just the sailer with in me. 

If you look close enough you will find a law banning drinking in public.

It is time for takeaway alcohol to be sold & any public drinking to be prosecuted.

Speaking of which, are the RTP on holiday ? Have not seen one for 35 days