WHO does a 180, now lauds Swedish model

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Valid point.

Problem is that TVF will not allow me to highlight the part of your post that I am referring to (say with underline or bold), so I see no other option than to quote just the part I am replying to. I do my best to avoid that quote being out of context. My apologies if that happened in your case. The ambiguity of the sentence I quoted was pointed out to me by @chessman, which I acknowledged. It would be nice if TVF provided some mechanism to accommodate highlighting the specific part of a post that someone is addressing in their post.

It was not a big post so no need to edit it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Forum rules permit shortened quotes as long as the intention of the quoted part is not changed. The intention of the part he quoted was not changed, IMO.

The context and meaning was altered completely. I hope that you can realise that but from your first response..maybe not.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, offset said:

Deaths of 256 per million population and 17500 still active cases (only 1000 recoveries) does not seem very good to me need to wait to see the final outcome before we know what country did good or bad

Ans rank 26th in infection rate / 1M people. I'm not too impressed by their model either. Germaany are doing better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Lets face it, this is an experiment, a risky one, nobody will know until its all over which is the most effective and safe way to contain the virus. Unfortunately this experiment involves human lives and suffering to find out the best outcome. Thats the scariest part for me.

If the lockdowns prove to be in any way effective we can look forward to global lockdown for every viral outbreak including seasonal flues otherwise what's the point?All viral outbreaks have curves that could be "flattened".

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the lockdowns prove to be in any effective we can look forward to global lockdown for every viral outbreak including seasonal flues otherwise what's the point?All viral outbreaks have curves that could be "flattened".

Nonsense

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nonsense

Not really because the idea of flattening the curve is to save as many lives as possible is it not?Are you suggesting we should only save the lives of C19 patients and disregard the live that could be saved from other pandemics?Is there a reason for not doing global shutdowns for the flu which can be just as deadly?I do agree it's nonsense to enforce locking people up whose only crime is to be possibly infected with this virus. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

WHO is kicking in the dark since the start of Covid-19 they changing statements every month, while they couldnt provide accurate tests for Covid-19  Tedros was repeating TEST, TEST, TEST now they want to provide Vaccine for a Virus that mutates a lot while they provided unreliable Vaccine even for seasonal flu. I really think WHO is eating money from countries without results, Trump was right the countries itself will find the way out and many of billions of dollars is invested in that Organisation which proved out to be totally unprepared for an outbreak. 

The second thing, Sweden is right the only way and the best way is to do that way, you dont ruin economy fully, you allow people freedom. Yes Sweden have high deaths per 1m but they are opened while whole world or most of it keeps people locked in what you think will happen when countries reopen? The second wave will arrive and what they will do? Lock up people again? 

Edited by NB1986
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So your accusing Sweden of killing off it's elderly population?That's a bit harsh don't you think.Does the rest of the world kill off their flu victims because they don't lockdown their citizens?

If you're here and hear and see what's happening, then it doesn't seem harsh. All signs point at that it is valid in many cases. All the way from that counties break the constitution and refuse to give out information how many retirement homes that have infections, if there are infections on specific homes, not informing close relatives if their enderly parents are infected and a healtcare system that refuses to move elderly to hospital to protect the famous curve. This in contrast to accounts from retirement healtcare workers who report lack of all kinds of PPE including hand sanitizer even and other retirement home healtcare workers who take off their masks because they are "irritated" and then care for both infected and not yet infected elderly. 

Swedish media reported of one close relative who had to threaten the retirement home with going to the press because they wouldn't give out what medication the elderly got before she finally was informed that it was the standard "end of life" morphine drip. The patient was moved to ICU and is still alive. 

The famous Swedish solidarity works in many different ways

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Swedish media reported of one close relative who had to threaten the retirement home with going to the press because they wouldn't give out what medication the elderly got before she finally was informed that it was the standard "end of life" morphine drip. The patient was moved to ICU and is still alive. 

Interesting, I got exactly the same info, 1st hand, from retirement home staff in France and in Germany. Starting at a certain age high doses of morphine instead of real treatment. Orders from above. Fortunately the nurses refused to obey.

So if this happened in Sweden, then rest assured this happens in lockdown countries such as France and Germany too. This is despite the fact that the hospitals are empty, and would have capacity to treat them. 

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 1

Anyone who has followed what Mike Ryan has been saying throughout this pandemic will know exactly what he meant.

Mike Ryan has been on record for saying previously that social distancing alone will not deal with the virus, that countries had to test and isolate the infected, and take the fight to the virus.

Mike Ryan was right. He is obviously no huge believer in enforced social distancing, and hence his praise for the Swedish model, which is characterised by an absence of enforced social distancing, was meant exactly as it sounds. Mike Ryan does not believe that mandatory social distancing is necessary. He made clear that Sweden's model of asking people to self-isolate if appropriate was working and was the best way of dealing with the pandemic. 

This Swedish approach, of not using enforced social distancing, except for minor exceptions, was in place since the very start. This is what Mike Ryan praised. Not anything that was put in place later. Somebody on here was trying to spin this news in completely the wrong way.

Obviously Mike Ryan has looked at the mortality rate in Sweden, which is around 0.02 per cent of the population. 

No doubt Mike Ryan, who is not a fan of enforced social distancing, but is a proponent of mass testing, would also advocate more testing is done.

Much like was done in New Zealand and Australia. It was said on here that it was their social distancing that got the virus under control there, it was not. It was New Zealand's and Australia's testing which is among the highest anywhere on the planet.

If Sweden had tested as well, like Norway, it would also have far less deaths. However, in its approach to social distancing, which is what was praised, Mike Ryan confirmed, that Sweden has it absolutely right. Go for voluntary compliance.

Mike Ryan is worth listening to.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Interesting, I got exactly the same info, 1st hand, from retirement home staff in France and in Germany. Starting at a certain age high doses of morphine instead of real treatment. Orders from above. Fortunately the nurses refused to obey.

What happened in Sweden wasn't age based. It was the standard end of life treatment, give the patient morphine instead of treatment to make death painless and then wait. What's appalling with the Swedish story is that the elderly patient responded just fine to treatment when they finally were forced to give it. 

They took the deliberate decision to not give it until they were forced to because it was an elderly. 

Edited by MikeyIdea

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

This Swedish approach, of not using enforced social distancing, except for minor exceptions, was in place since the very start. This is what Mike Ryan praised. Not anything that was put in place later. Somebody on here was trying to spin this news in completely the wrong way.

Obviously Mike Ryan has looked at the mortality rate in Sweden, which is around 0.02 per cent of the population. 

Mike Ryan is knowledgeable of course. He probably also looked at the more relevant statistics that Sweden's mortality rate per 100,000 inhabitants is up to the tenth worst in the world now, take away small "not real" countries like San Marino and Sint Maarten etc. and it is the seventh worst. 

Statistics from worldometer, sort by deaths per population

Edited by MikeyIdea

33 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

What happened in Sweden wasn't age based. It was the standard end of life treatment, give the patient morphine instead of treatment to make death painless and then wait. 

Well, if it is retirement homes then it is obviously somehow age based, you're not in a retirement home before you're retired and need care ????

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Mike Ryan is knowledgeable of course. He probably also looked at the more relevant statistics that Sweden's mortality rate per 100,000 inhabitants is up to the tenth worst in the world now, take away small "not real" countries like San Marino and Sint Maarten etc. and it is the seventh worst. 

Statistics from worldometer, sort by deaths per population

By any measure Sweden has very few deaths, 0.02 per cent of the population. You can claim that it is in the top ten, but in Sweden 0.02 per cent of the population have died. That is a miniscule number which indicates that enforced social distancing is unnecessary, exactly what Mike Ryan was trying to convey.

Another point, someone else on here claimed that Sweden's economy will not be in better shape than other countries. This is not correct. Sweden's economy is forecast to contract by 7% due to global economic conditions. However, the UK is predicted to contract by 19%.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/01/long-lockdown-shrink-uk-economy-fifth-2020-study-coronavirus

Quite a major difference. Sweden will be in better shape.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, smutcakes said:

Envy them that they have the space, wealth, economic set up to do this. Many countries/people do not have this option. They cannot separate, work from home. How did the relatively relaxed Singapore model work out for the migrant workers?

Which makes the lockdowns in countries like India even more insane.

If no space at home, multiple generations and sometimes different families in one dwelling, shared sanitary facilities, limited water supply, a cash based economy with no social security safety net - all teams a lockdown will inevitably result in a super-spreading community, like a massive Diamond Princess.

• Like 1

And that is exactly what Neil Ferguson is advocating.

That Britain should remain in lockdown until a vaccine is found.

The article also says:

"It said even with severe containment measures remaining in place only until the end of June and with some easing of restrictions in the coming weeks, the economy would shrink by 12% this year."

Lockdown until end of May looks very possible in the UK.

So if anything it looks like the economy of the UK will be, at least, almost twice as badly affected as Sweden's, where the forecast is 6.9%, but potentially three times as badly affected if people like Neil Ferguson have their way.

Edited by Logosone