WHO does a 180, now lauds Swedish model

9 hours ago, rumak said:

and hey,  just found a quote that fit my way of thinking.   I was surprised that there was some

other guy who had the same ( crazy, tin foil hat,  misinformed)  idea that i have .

Wow...... look at who that was !!    

The 100 most powerful Buddha quotes (my personal selection)

????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Sweden has less than half of Australia's population

Australia has about 6700 cases and 84 deaths

compare this with Sweden.

Screenshot_2020-05-01 Total confirmed COVID-19 deaths per million people.png

Can't compare any euro nation's figures with ones as remote as Oz/Nz. I see the latter countries patting themselves on the back at their response, but reality is they could have done nothing and would have been ok. It is purely down to where and how relatively little visited they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Can't compare any euro nation's figures with ones as remote as Oz/Nz. I see the latter countries patting themselves on the back at their response, but reality is they could have done nothing and would have been ok. It is purely down to where and how relatively little visited they are.

Antipodeans are some of the most travelled people on the planet, Both Australia and

NZ are big tourist destinations especially for the young back packer types.

However...

It is easier to control entry as they are remote islands, so there are a relatively few

points of entry, which, once restrictions were put in place made it far easier to

keep on top of things.

There isn't one perfect way of dealing with this virus world wide,as every country and 

situation is different. The 2 most affected places so far are London and New York, both

densely populated cities with a significant percentage of BAME people, who seem to

be those worse hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Where did you buy your crystal ball?

It's only the neighbouring areas around the capital Stockholm that have been hit hard this far. Sweden's second largest city Göteborg (Gothenburg) has had a fairly slow but steady increase which is starting to increase more rapidly now. Infections in Sweden's third city Malmö is also expected to increase faster in May.

The mortality rate per 100,000 inhabitants will continue to increase for some time here. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Don't cut the quote you reply to.

Valid point.

Problem is that TVF will not allow me to highlight the part of your post that I am referring to (say with underline or bold), so I see no other option than to quote just the part I am replying to. I do my best to avoid that quote being out of context. My apologies if that happened in your case. The ambiguity of the sentence I quoted was pointed out to me by @chessman, which I acknowledged. It would be nice if TVF provided some mechanism to accommodate highlighting the specific part of a post that someone is addressing in their post.

22 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Envy them that they have the space, wealth, economic set up to do this. Many countries/people do not have this option. They cannot separate, work from home. How did the relatively relaxed Singapore model work out for the migrant workers?

Been nothing about it on TVF that I've seen so do tell.

3 hours ago, timendres said:

Valid point.

Problem is that TVF will not allow me to highlight the part of your post that I am referring to (say with underline or bold), so I see no other option than to quote just the part I am replying to. I do my best to avoid that quote being out of context. My apologies if that happened in your case. The ambiguity of the sentence I quoted was pointed out to me by @chessman, which I acknowledged. It would be nice if TVF provided some mechanism to accommodate highlighting the specific part of a post that someone is addressing in their post.

Quote the entire post, then copy paste the part you want to emphasize to your part of the reply box and then bold it.

eg

Problem is that TVF will not allow me to highlight the part of your post that I am referring to (say with underline or bold),

• Like 2

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No need for me to do a 180, as I've supported the Swedish model since I found out about it.

I think most of us will come to envy them.

Well why don,t you go there then?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What a brilliant suggestion. You are paying my fare and immigration costs then?

Pay it yourself,if you can,t afford it try a " go fund me"

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

As New Zealand has shown, strict social distancing in  small population countries  works. New Zealand did not allow a  massive kill off of its citizens and the population will not be  plagued by chronic health conditions due to the long lasting secondary damage associated with Covid19.

Are you in NZ? You apparently have never been in a New Zealand supermarket during lockdown.

NZ may keep the susceptible alive but at the cost of thousands of unemployed with all the problems of poverty to come.

BTW poverty kills too.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Far more than Covid-19 ever will. The world is already on track for a major starvation problem, the longer the economy is shut down, the worse it will be later on.

It's already started in africa,with a plague of locusts in to the bargain,the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Far more than Covid-19 ever will. The world is already on track for a major starvation problem, the longer the economy is shut down, the worse it will be later on.

So many people, IMO, are so fixated on the present they forget that this too will end and people have to be able to earn a living to have quality of life.

Our forefathers would, IMO, scorn us for what we are doing. Compared to what they had to face this virus is not world ending. I doubt in 1918 they even considered a lockdown, even if it had been possible, and millions died then.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, shy coconut said:

The 2 most affected places so far are London and New York, both

densely populated cities with a significant percentage of BAME people, who seem to

be those worse hit.

Please don't use unusual abbreviations. Not everyone knows what that means and we shouldn't have to look it up.

You may be right, though London if full of those horrible row houses which may contribute to cross infection, IMO.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Valid point.

it can be done.....   you post the quote,  then go to the part you want to highlight ,  delete it and then rewrite it in same context using the  B   you see at the top of where we post (click on it then type).       

If you need to protect yourself from another accusation         make a note that you did the highlight.    regards,  Rumak

Edited by rumak
  • Thanks 1