Bangkok: Businesses ready for the "New Normal"

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Masks will have to be worn by all patrons though Daily News did not explain how this would be accomplished in a restaurant. 

Guffawwwww, no thought at  all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bodga said:

I'm going to paint a mask on, a bit like those body painter women do

Then you can eat and it also looks like you have a mask on when you close your mouth

That should get a few of the local's heads spinning

55 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I certainly wouldn't be opening any business which serves the public again until this is over.

If it takes years then it takes years, they will all go bankrupt or just close down if this lasts more than a few months and I have a feeling it will last a lot longer than a few months.

They will never make enough money to pay their rent never mind the staff, neither will any other business like this, it's over.

In one way or another every business serves the public so i don't really understand your point . I get where you'r going with this but you should explain it better because the way you say it now doesn't make sense . 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bodga said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

Masks will have to be worn by all patrons though Daily News did not explain how this would be accomplished in a restaurant. 

I wonder if we'll see people copying what muslim women do when out to eat. They lift their veil (for us, the face mask) for a second or two, stuff food in their mouth and drop the veil (mask) back down.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder if we'll see people copying what muslim women do when out to eat. They lift their veil (for us, the face mask) for a second or two, stuff food in their mouth and drop the veil (mask) back down.

No.  They'll just take off their mask at the table, or before eating and drinking.  The mask has minimal effect anyway.

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:
27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No.  They'll just take off their mask at the table, or before eating and drinking.  The mask has minimal effect anyway.

Yes, I know. I was just joking. But it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of locals will do exactly that.

• Like 2

If this article is right and the virus is her to stay or here for years, and I definitely could be, then it is time to lift all the restrictions.  Getting people back to work and collecting the taxes will be the only way to provide health care.  No way the economy can stop for years and not have massive starvation and health issues.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-04-30/covid-19-outbreaks-likely-for-years-despite-social-distancing?srnd=opinion

Tried to quote ncc1701a

Edited by AKJeff
Didn't copy quote
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

same as somebody having a shave, at the barbers shop,  with the mask on

• Haha 1

Throw the sheeple some table scraps and watch them run!  I guarantee you the cruel man-children running this country were probably sitting around last night, drinking and laughing about how they got the Thais to be appreciative of this sort of nonsense.

As a potential customer, why on Earth would I spend money to go and sit in an un-air conditioned space, sitting at a table by myself wearing a mask and trying to eat, without the drink of my choice?

Screw the models, they have been wrong every time. This isnt the new normal, its the beginning of reopening the economy that will progress until things return to as was before the virus.

There has never for any disease the use of 0 new cases or deaths as the acceptable infection rate. Currently Thailand had an approximate prevalence of 49 cases per million people, and less than 1 death per million people.

The point of shutdowns and drastic isolation is to flatten the new cases curve so that the medical systems wont get overloaded. In that regard it has been effective, so with the goal of the shutdown achieved, a gradual lifting of it is indicated. Any other strategy is based on fear of wanting to remain in control of other peoples lives.

It is simply untrue that everyone is at risk from dying from getting infected. The data clearly shows that those over 65 are likely to get hospitalized, and the mean age of those dying is about 80, almost all of whom had a comorbidity, such as obesity, high blood pressure, or diabetes.

The development of herd immunity, which all this shutdown stuff has delayed, will be what gets things back to normal.

Edited by poskat

19 minutes ago, poskat said:

Screw the models, they have been wrong every time. This isnt the new normal, its the beginning of reopening the economy that will progress until things return to as was before the virus.

There has never for any disease the use of 0 new cases or deaths as the acceptable infection rate. Currently Thailand had an approximate prevalence of 49 cases per million people, and less than 1 death per million people.

The point of shutdowns and drastic isolation is to flatten the new cases curve so that the medical systems wont get overloaded. In that regard it has been effective, so with the goal of the shutdown achieved, a gradual lifting of it is indicated. Any other strategy is based on fear of wanting to remain in control of other peoples lives.

It is simply untrue that everyone is at risk from dying from getting infected. The data clearly shows that those over 65 are likely to get hospitalized, and the mean age of those dying is about 80, almost all of whom had a comorbidity, such as obesity, high blood pressure, or diabetes.

The development of herd immunity, which all this shutdown stuff has delayed, will be what gets things back to normal.

Good post.  What worries me is that social media scaremongering and over-the-top reporting will delay the return to normal.  We didn't have this after the Spanish Flu in 1918, or SARS, H1N1 etc.