Pattaya: Lockdown set to end - restrictions lifted from May 5th

webfact

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

It has already been posted in the Royal Gazette, it is now law.

But don’t get to excited about the sales opening. They still have tomorrow to change their minds again!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Does that mean bars and restaurants will be open even tho it was announced by the government that no alcohol sales until end of May <deleted> is running the show ????

I always felt that Pattaya was rather slow, but clearly Koh Samui must be even slower? Or is it just you?

8 minutes ago, allen303 said:

But don’t get to excited about the sales opening. They still have tomorrow to change their minds again!

They said they would open for 2 days and then went back on it hahaha although maybe they went back on it cos they decided on this instead? 

Sheesh - I thought I was hearing more thunder but it turned out to be a herd of old, fat bast***s in shorts, flip flops and Chang beer wife beaters stampeding down the soi to the closest liquor outlet ! Apparently the news of the end of the liquor ban travelled fast !

One of them was on the side of the soi, bent over and clutching his chest. His face was red enough to be mistaken for a stop signal. I asked why they were all heading to the liquor stores now when they wouldn't start selling until the 5th, and they weren't allowed to start drinking at the store.

In between gasping for breath and trying to rejoin the herd, he blurted out that they were hoping to be first in line, just in case they started selling early and he was worried all the <deleted> ahead of him would buy out all the booze before he got there. 

He kind of collapsed right there so I did the neighbourly thing and rolled him into some bushes so he wasn't blocking my path, then I hopped back on the scooter and went home.

So I could get my bottle of Jack and then ride down to where the rest of the herd was standing by the soi, beet red faces dripping sweat while their collective gasping was causing wind gusts nearly strong enough to knock people off their motos as they passed !

I (safely) turned so I was ready to ride back to my place, checked the traffic, the pulled out the bottle of Jack.

With the scooter ready to take off instantly, I cracked open the bottle and held it high in the air before pouring out a token shot (for fallen friends). I then quickly took a big slug of that fine whiskey, slapped the cap back on it, dropped it in my pocket and hit the gas on the scooter.

Timing was everything ! I knew the herd was gassed from their stampede to the liquor store but might still have some reserves of energy left. As luck would have it, a couple of cars and motos went by in the other direction and the herd, with the scent of alcohol in their nostrils, were unable to charge across the soi before I was able to make my escape.

I thought about stopping again just ahead of them and having another swig of Jack but didn't want to tempt fate, especially as I could see stragglers from the herd still coming down the soi. If they got wind of the alcohol, they might have blocked my escape and from the size of them, it wouldn't have take more than 4 or 5 of them to block the whole soi ! Little wonder they were so far behind the main pack !

I decided I would just head home and wait until tomorrow. Maybe around noon, when they are all in one place and the heat is getting to them. I'll ride back down there and do it again. 

Only next time I'll remember to lift my covid mask before taking that big swig !!

(The old guy I'd rolled into the bushes was gone when I returned. Maybe he resurrected and walked away. Or the rats got him. Not sure the rats would have gone near him though, not with the smell that had been coming off of him. Could be the smell of the alcohol was enough to bring him back to life. Hmmm, I'd better through my clothes in the wash before they track the smell back to my place !) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Poor choice of words, wouldn't people who are not "white" will take offence... i'm half Cherokee and i take offence already...

Just think yourself lucky it was not designated as a red area - then you could really get on your high horse . . .

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Poor choice of words, wouldn't people who are not "white" will take offence... i'm half Cherokee and i take offence already...

The whole world seems to take offense to the slightest perceived slight. Where is the thick skin of our "elders"? Nothing seemed to offend them, and certainly they did not fabricate things to be offended by, yet they had alot they could have been offended by.

Good thing Pattaya is re-opening. Maybe this could be a sort of roadmap for the rest of the areas that are too timid to let the people get back to work. The zombies are not coming! Let it go. Let us get on with our lives. For one reason or another we escaped the plague. Let us be thankful. Kudos to all who assisted in this, and made it happen. 

• Like 1

Only this morning it was confirmed once again that alcohol sales will be banned until end of May.  This must be one of the quickest u-turns to date.  It's posted on several TV channels as well as the newspaper we can't mention.

In the Royal Gazette so I think we can safely assume that there'll be queues at Makro come Sunday!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well in defiance assemble yourself with Him Big Chief and other braves and do a war dance.

17 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Im sure I saw in their 4 step colour coded plan that alcohol wasnt even considered until June 15th. 

Sign in Big C yesterday said 'Until 30 May' .. but that could be extended by a new dictate.

3 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

What to do in Pattaya or any other resorts if you can't buy booze?!

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world".   Louis Pasteur

Learn some Thai so you can watch Thai love soap operas with your darling - some time in the future :<(

Watch YouTube and learn how to squeeze pimple. The opportunities are endless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

What to do in Pattaya or any other resorts if you can't buy booze?!

Temples. You came here for them, right?

If you take away nightlife and the tourist attractions away from Pattaya, it does become fairly boring. Not many hobby clubs around for non-mongery stuff. I especially miss a healthy DIY scene with maker spaces and like minded folks. 

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Lol - I have been partaking of the "nightlife" in years now. When the weather is good, I hop on the bike and ride around the country - visiting temples !

Old ones though. Mostly from the Khmer era. Some are well maintained tourist attractions, some are little more than some scattered blocks sticking out of the ground. Some are in the middle of cities, some are in the middle of farmer's rice fields.
Get some strange looks when they see the full dress cruiser (Heritage Softail Harley) puttering down some cow trail and stopping in the middle of nowhere (bluddy Google - doesn't differentiate between dirt trails through fields or paved roads !)

From a trip last November: Good thing it was the "dry" season !

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.fc9d641ba7c4028e3091b1c4fb0584d2.JPG      IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.10a7b23a6a330539035ef70aacc2e61f.JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

If you take away nightlife and the tourist attractions away from Pattaya, it does become fairly boring. Not many hobby clubs around for non-mongery stuff. I especially miss a healthy DIY scene with maker spaces and like minded folks. 

Too right Doctor. Well I guess some can dream of trying to make Pattaya family friendly (smirk). All those faeces riddled beaches can be an attraction globally. Nah on second thoughts - leave well enough alone. With the slightly weakening baht - good times ahead. They need 30+million tourists to return to refill the Thai coffers. Anyone thinking of returning to swim at Pattaya beach, golf, hobby clubs and visiting temple??

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

Just got back from shopping at Index and Home Pro.  I thought they would be deserted but both were packed--busier than I have often seen them pre-virus.  Apparently there are a few people left in town.  

AS mentioned in other threads one get the feeling people are starting to go out and about now and not really following the rules as much ( or so fearful of virus ).

The rules are always changing and too hard to follow anyway.

After the weekend i will also resume normality again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Melbun said:

Too right Doctor. Well I guess some can dream of trying to make Pattaya family friendly (smirk). All those faeces riddled beaches can be an attraction globally. Nah on second thoughts - leave well enough alone. With the slightly weakening baht - good times ahead. They need 30+million tourists to return to refill the Thai coffers. Anyone thinking of returning to swim at Pattaya beach, golf, hobby clubs and visiting temple??

there are about 38,000 temples to visit in Thailand.....but I give all of them  a wide berth.....

Edited by essox essox
after thought

13 hours ago, newnative said:

Just got back from shopping at Index and Home Pro.  I thought they would be deserted but both were packed--busier than I have often seen them pre-virus.  Apparently there are a few people left in town.  

A lot of home projects going on I bet..... I may just be there myself tomorrow, that job the Mrs has been telling me of since 2018.... well  I just might!

• Like 1