Rental market has imploded, landlords offer crazy discounts for tenants -- my experience with searching for a condo for rent this week

Ecosudmon

4 hours ago, Peterhua said:

So all these companies that are building these high end condos and the improvement of Utapao airport, oh and the soon to be started high speed rail links, the many improved road infrastructure are all a waste of time and instead we should all listen to you and run a mile from the doomed Pattaya property market?

There is a reason why 90% of bar-stool economists lose money on investments. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

But it only happens when it rains, ????????????????

expats should not live in areas of flooding? So you're saying they should not lve in pattaya?

a world class family resort with lack of water, some houses have none, and then the flooding????

what an intelligent responce, it only happens when it's rains.

champagne wishes and caviar dreams! 

Does the entire city of Pattaya flood?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

But it only happens when it rains, ????????????????

expats should not live in areas of flooding? So you're saying they should not lve in pattaya?

a world class family resort with lack of water, some houses have none, and then the flooding????

what an intelligent responce, it only happens when it's rains.

champagne wishes and caviar dreams! 

Just for some clarification, Harry, if it's sunny and no rain, then then there is no flooding ? Correct? 

Who would have thought that? 

Perhaps change your name to hash pipe Harry!

Harry only "lives" in Pattaya 4 days a month.  Maybe he's been lucky and it hasn't rain in those 4 days each month.  ????

I can see how Pattaya would be be nice, coming from a village.  ???? 

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Harry only "lives" in Pattaya 4 days a month.  Maybe he's been lucky and it hasn't rain in those 4 days each month.  ????

I can see how Pattaya would be be nice, coming from a village.  ???? 

Yes obviously no rain when Harvard Harry comes to town, or his dream condo is on bush mountain. 

Nice to get responses from someone in the know! ????????????????????????????

stay in the village Harold! 

Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Does the entire city of Pattaya flood?

Don't let them give you a hard time.  From their comments it would seem so but of course the entire city doesn't flood.  It doesn't even always flood when it rains--and all the current road work should help when it's done.

Does Bangkok flood when it rains?  Of course.  Do we constantly talk about Bangkok flooding like we do Pattaya flooding?  Not much.  Those with short memories have forgotten the Bangkok floods of 2011.  My sister-in-law in Bangkok was so worried about drowning in the floods she bought life jackets for everyone and an inflatable boat.  Finally it got so bad they all escaped to Pattaya and stayed with us.  In 10 years in Pattaya I've never had to escape to another city when it rains.   But, apparently much more fun to talk about Pattaya flooding, not sure why.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Don't let them give you a hard time.  From their comments it would seem so but of course the entire city doesn't flood.  It doesn't even always flood when it rains--and all the current road work should help when it's done.

Does Bangkok flood when it rains?  Of course.  Do we constantly talk about Bangkok flooding like we do Pattaya flooding?  Not much.  Those with short memories have forgotten the Bangkok floods of 2011.  My sister-in-law in Bangkok was so worried about drowning in the floods she bought life jackets for everyone and an inflatable boat.  Finally it got so bad they all escaped to Pattaya and stayed with us.  In 10 years in Pattaya I've never had to escape to another city when it rains.   But, apparently much more fun to talk about Pattaya flooding, not sure why.  

Ahhh, a nice story, but what has Pattaya really done to fix this decades old problem?  Answer - ZERO.   

Pattaya. and Thailand for that matter, is all about maximum money in, for minimum money out. 

Nothing changing here.  Floods still the same.   

Yet. apparently, a world class tourist destination.  ????

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Does n't flood where i live.

It doesn't flood in my area, either.  It's mostly confined to certain areas and, contrary to the post above yours, the city has not been doing ZERO.  Totally incorrect comment  but typical of that poster.  It's working on Beach Road right now and has also been working on parts of Second Road, especially the area near VC Hotel.  Cosy Beach is also being worked on right now, Naklua, and also Pratamnak Road, plus other roads, as well.  

• Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 9:40 AM, whiteman said:

and her family has now moved into it, as they could not afford to pay their rent in town.  you wait till you come to visit it again I bet it will look nothing like it did before be warned. People that can not afford to pay there old rent and can not move to lower rentals is a very big red light flashing. But you will not believe me till you arrive back here and find the truth. then you may find it very hard to move them out.

You can say that again. Her family and cousins of theirs have moved in and will never, ever leave. 

Had a coffee with my real estate friend who has been working in Pattaya for 15 years.

She said this is obviously the worst time ever for real estate in Pattaya and the entire country.

The rental market pricing is at 50% less then this time last year. Many landlords will do a 3 month contract now at the reduced rent.  

But. I would use another strategy if I planned on staying here for awhile.

Offer the 50% or even less, but get an 18 month to 2 year contract to lock in the low rent.

And, for those who thought they could never afford certain higher end properties, this would be a great time to seek out one of the 1000's of empty condos/houses for a 50% rent reduction. 

You snooze, you lose.  So, don't wait until the current desperation wanes and hoards of Chinese come back and start filling up the empty slots with their ST rents.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, Ecosudmon said:
On 5/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Looking for 2 condos I know well, prices on these websites are really inflated compared to usual prices in these places. If you like a condominium, better to walk in and look for rent ads on the board.

Interesting. What could be the incentive for the owner to offer a condo for a higher rent on these websites compared to the board?

The owner has to pay the agency commission, he doesn't if he rents it out privately.

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So the whole city of Pattaya floods when it rains does it?

Give it a rest, you're going round in circles.

So, you live in Pattaya and have NEVER been affected by flooding.  Oh, I forgot, you don't actually live in Pattaya.  

48 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, you live in Pattaya and have NEVER been affected by flooding.  Oh, I forgot, you don't actually live in Pattaya.  

Correct, never.....along with many many many others i'm sure.

And for the xxxxxxxxxxth time you're correct i do not live in Pattaya ( don't know how many times i've mentioned this to you? ) i lived there for 8 years but still have a condo.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:32 PM, rob63 said:

*sigh* this thread started out good,,,guys start a pattaya flooding thread, so the rest of us on this thread can find out about cheaper rental options. Thanks.

Take a look at some of the online real estate agents for Pattaya.  There are many nice places going cheap.