Question about Different Types of Processors...

ravip

From the day 1, my first choice of CPU when purchasing a PC was Intel over AMD. Now it seems the AMD Ryzen is coming to the forefront. Currently I am using an Intel i5 on a HP Notebook and am wondering what I should choose when upgrading.

My computing is very basic. MS Office, internet browsing and the likes. No gaming at all.

For your needs, any modern CPU will be fine. But yes, Ryzens are extremely good CPUs and very good value.

Intel seem to be more popular in laptops, get an i3 and you shouldn't have any problems for many years. I wouldn't buy HP though....

My desktop is built around a cheap Ryzen, and it blows the doors off the heavily overclocked i7-2700k I had before it.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

For your needs, any modern CPU will be fine. But yes, Ryzens are extremely good CPUs and very good value.

Intel seem to be more popular in laptops, get an i3 and you shouldn't have any problems for many years. I wouldn't buy HP though....

My desktop is built around a cheap Ryzen, and it blows the doors off the heavily overclocked i7-2700k I had before it.

But just to be sure he should probably have dual Intel Xeon E5-2628L v4

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Pentium III 550mhz

The intel ATOM processor is the chip to watch. It will be in everything from folding mobile phones, book readers, and TVs with embedded web browsers. The future is now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a general observance since I (let) build a high performance PC recently. If you use Windows as OS then a Intel CPU may be advantageous over AMD because of compatibility issues with various other components regardless of what the specs say. Just my experience. I use a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x and this is not a performance guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, stouricks said:

I do what you are doing (Libre Office instead of MS Office) , browsing, TV streaming via Express VPN, on a NUC with Intel Celeron J4005 @ 2.00 GHz, 128 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM. Why do you need a Ryzen?

The PC I am using right now is working fine, although it is now 7 years old!

A HP ProBook 4530s. Intel Core i5 2430M @ 2.40GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology, 465 GB HDD and 8GB RAM.

The minor issues that are bothering me is that the battery is dead and one key cap on the keyboard broke off. If not, works perfectly with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and MS Office 2016. It was even running Server 2003 (just to train on) a couple of years back. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 2:10 PM, ravip said:

A HP ProBook 4530s. Intel Core i5 2430M @ 2.40GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology, 465 GB HDD and 8GB RAM.

The minor issues that are bothering me is that the battery is dead and one key cap on the keyboard broke off.

You could have the keyboard and battery replaced. Then swap the HDD for an SSD. That's what I did with my 8+ yo Acer laptop. 

Though, I've just started looking at new laptops as I'd like to do some lite gaming and the Intel HD Graphics 3000 isn't cutting it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

Though, I've just started looking at new laptops as I'd like to do some lite gaming and the Intel HD Graphics 3000 isn't cutting it. 

You'll want something with a GTX 1050, that's what I have in mine and it breezes through everything I've tried on it. But still it's far enough down the rankings to be good value, there are lots of laptops out there that come with one in the 15-20k bracket. 

• Like 1

ravip ...I have an Acer AM3920, have added a bit extra memory and an SSD, running W10 and Office 2007 ...it does me and as you seem to put your computer to the same use as I do ... well I don't scan the internet for humour ???? I would have thought anything new would be more than adequate .........  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 5:57 PM, BeltAndRoad said:

If you really knew about PC's you would know your comment isn't even close to being fact

download.jpg

Now I am confused. Thought you were being sarcastic, but apparently you 're not. But for a normal user?

On 5/2/2020 at 7:02 PM, BeltAndRoad said:

VIC-20 is where it's at.

I did not indulge until the C-64 became available - bought in Washington during first month out on way to Conakry.  Sure was nice to have for those 2 years.

image.jpeg.0c4ee5d8051f6e41cb55e5f7bc546d5b.jpeg

I'm not going to get caught up in the AMD vs Intel discussion.  But before you plunk down a bunch of coin for a computer, check the CPU and Video Card speeds here...  It's also a great resource for figuring out if you can get more speed out of your machine with a CPU upgrade for your existing socket type.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

39 minutes ago, Jumbo chilli said:

Now I am confused. Thought you were being sarcastic, but apparently you 're not. But for a normal user?

I have bought several 2nd hand "servers" with Xeon processors and ran them on Win10.  They work quite well as desktops.