Condo pools opening?

toxictotoro

7 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes I watched the English presentation yesterday.  The spokesman said that condo pools do not fall into the category of public sports areas, so are not included in what is being relaxed for those groups.  However, he maddeningly did not answer the question as to what category and jurisdiction condo pools do fall under and gave no answer as to when they would be allowed to re-open. 

The way that I understood what he said was that condo pools are not included in the ban on public pools.

Edited by Patanawet
to change public poos to public pools :-)

10 hours ago, Chefgno said:

I wish I could join that German group right now. Where I live, maybe 10 people are are residing now in their condo's, and its like being in grade school here in Bangtao Gardens. Its pathetic that the reasoning here is so childish. Wed are adults and surely can take care of ourselves and be safe

Would that it were so.  But report after report of people gathering for one reason or another, which is what the authorities have said they wish to stop - so, as usual, the sensible majority are inconvenienced by the selfish lump headed minority

PH

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

The way that I understood what he said was that condo pools are not included in the ban on public pools.

Yes, I think that's right. In other words, there is no ban on use of condo pools.

11 hours ago, RBOP said:

Condo swimming pools are not included in the list of relaxation measures and not allowed to open yet. PRD spokesman specifically discussed condo pools starting at 12:41 minutes into his speach which you can find on the Bangkok Post website (article about 3 cases yesterday, video at the bottom of the page). The video is also on the PRD facebook page I believe, as well as RB's website.  

In fact a couple days ago a group was kicked out of our pool common area for sitting, eating, playing, no masks, no social distancing as if things were back to normal. They even brazenly pulled out the pool furniture for their recless party. 

Screenshot_20200503-163246_Samsung Internet.jpg

Condo management decides if the condo pool shall stay open or closed if it is 100% private. But social gatherings around the pool are against the Emergency decree. That's why most of the condo pools are closed. Some condo pools are also public pools and they have to stay closed until further notice.

Edited by Max69xl

17 hours ago, Sundown said:

I'll go ask to the juristic office but I already know the answer: "CANNOT".

I'm pretty sure it's possible to re open pools and gyms but that's too much of brain effort for the average thai juristic office manager. CANNOT is easier and can keep on spending the whole day on LINE TV.

Yep, I agree.

I have also asked if they are laying some of the cleaners off due to the gym and recreational places being closed...Nope, no layoffs, there's dozens of them (cleaners).

I just see these cleaners sitting around on their telephones, the development has free wifi, this just encourages laziness.

There are around 1100 condos with maybe 20% occupancy.

I dont live there but am an owner so I pay the yearly charges as well as water.

18 hours ago, Max69xl said:

But social gatherings around the pool are against the Emergency decree. 

What you say makes sense. So they should limit access to supermarkets also. I don't understand since day one of this nonsense lockdown why people can flock like sheeps at weighing stations at Makro or Tesco but no, you cannot go alone on the beach, and you cannot have a swim in a damn private pool or exercise alone in a private gym. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Mine too but I doubt that it's been done since it was closed. When it does eventually open I might give it a few days before I take the plunge.

Mine is done every day, and I receive the chlorine test result by sms. I am on the committee. I have specified that it must not fall below 3. The pool and the cleaning filter is also cleaned as per normal schedule.

Ditto all other aspects of our daily maintenance, including obviously lift sanitisation, lobby doors etc. We employ a lot of staff; they get paid; they do their job as per normal.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sundown said:

I asked to juristic, they said they will open next month. So for them emergency decree = pools and gym closed.

I had my management office call the BMA this morning. They concur, in line with their Order of Temporary Closure of Premises (No 8).

I have spoken to MFA just now. They also now say condo swimming pools should remain closed because they are not private, (as in available only to an individual or family of an individual). I asked them to update/correct Kh Natapanu's response given at his briefing on 3 May, in which he said condo pools did not fall under Order of Temporary Closure of Premises (No 8).

This is their email response to me:

As per conversation, here is the text from Q&A section approved by Ministry of Health that could help clarifying your question.

Why are pools in condos not allowed to open? Cannot understand this. Most condos have juristic bodies that will ensure cleanliness and safety. For people who cannot do other forms of heavy exercise on land this is devastating. Furthermore, there is already scientific evidence that covid-19 and not be transmitted through water. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/water.html) "There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in the water" (Comment on Thai PR Government Facebook page)

Answer: COVID-19 is a novel virus that the medical community is still trying to understand. As such, we do not have any evidence yet to prove that the virus cannot be transmitted through water in swimming pools. However, given the possibility that water droplets from swimmers’ mouth and nose may be transmitted into the water, and that swimmers can accidentally consume and choke on water in swimming pools, there is concern over the possible spread of COVID-19. Thus, these facilities will remain closed for the time being and we urge everyone to follow our precautionary measures for your own safety and the safety of others. We understand that this may inconvenience many people but as we learn more about the virus, so will our measures be reviewed. In the meantime, please be patient and bear with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, samtam said:

I had my management office call the BMA this morning. They concur, in line with their Order of Temporary Closure of Premises (No 8).

I have spoken to MFA just now. They also now say condo swimming pools should remain closed because they are not private, (as in available only to an individual or family of an individual). I asked them to update/correct Kh Natapanu's response given at his briefing on 3 May, in which he said condo pools did not fall under Order of Temporary Closure of Premises (No 8).

This is their email response to me:

What a load of nonsense--the response, I mean.  They have no evidence the virus can be spread through water, so keep the pools closed.  They have ample evidence the virus can be spread through the air, so open up the restaurants, shops, and so on.  

31 minutes ago, newnative said:

What a load of nonsense--the response, I mean.  They have no evidence the virus can be spread through water, so keep the pools closed.  They have ample evidence the virus can be spread through the air, so open up the restaurants, shops, and so on.  

I agree. It's a silly response, and contradicted by the examples you give.

However, given the possibility that water droplets from swimmers’ mouth and nose may be transmitted into the water, 

To say nothing of water droplets that may come from anybody, anywhere on dry land. And as for:

that swimmers can accidentally consume and choke on water in swimming pools

what exactly has that got to do with Covid?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Condo management decides if the condo pool shall stay open or closed if it is 100% private. But social gatherings around the pool are against the Emergency decree. That's why most of the condo pools are closed. Some condo pools are also public pools and they have to stay closed until further notice.

By definition no condominium common facility is 100% private.

2 hours ago, hansgruber said:

I want to know when home pro is opening again. I need to finish what I started before kungflu hit. 

So it's still not open. Thought open 1st May 2020. You save me drive over to buy some spares.

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

So it's still not open. Thought open 1st May 2020. You save me drive over to buy some spares.

Still shuttered as of yesterday. 

I think Baan and beyond at Central has reopened I'll go up and see today. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

Still shuttered as of yesterday. 

I think Baan and beyond at Central has reopened I'll go up and see today. 

Did you try the one door that is open into the complex itself? 

HomePro has been open for a week, or more. You have to go through the only open door where your temperature is checked.

Please don't tell me that you guys drove all the way to Chalong; tried to use the wrong door, which was locked, and then concluded that HomePro was closed. :cheesy: 

• Thanks 1

I have been talking to the CDC in Bangkok about the current closure of condo swimming pools. They have been most helpful, and they say the reopening is "under consideration".

I have reiterated what I know from reading, that chlorine kills the virus, according to CDCs in the US and Australia, and a similar organisation in Singapore. If you want to add to the lobbying, or need clarification, please call 025903832 or 025903836.

I also mentioned that I can see other condos operating pools as normal, and I am aware of others who have decided to interpret the BMA order No 8. differently.

Whilst one can understand the tendency to caution, and one can understand in Thailand the tendency to ignore regulations, the contradiction of say opening Chatuchak weekend market this coming Sunday, is beyond comprehension.

17 minutes ago, samtam said:

Whilst one can understand the tendency to caution, and one can understand in Thailand the tendency to ignore regulations, the contradiction of say opening Chatuchak weekend market this coming Sunday, is beyond comprehension.

The people there have to run around with masks. If you want to swim this is not so easy with a mask. So people might / will not use masks when using the pools. 

I predict pools will be allowed open when gyms open. Maybe May 17th with luck. I expect (hope) there will be some restrictions also such as social distancing, frequent cleaning, limit the number of swimmers in pool at the same time, strict monitoring of chlorine levels etc.   Pools historically are notorious for outbreaks of all kinds of diseases and most commonly root cause was from improper or malfunctioning disinfection system.

Yes, chlorine can kill viruses but how long does it take to kill all the viruses/bacteria in a brown floaty, chunks in vomit, snot or blob of flem?  ????  Yuk. 

47 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The people there have to run around with masks. If you want to swim this is not so easy with a mask. So people might / will not use masks when using the pools. 

When I say "use pool", I mean swim in the water. Sitting around the pool is a social gathering, and I can understand that is not desirable.

49 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The communal pool in my moo baan in Pattaya opened on Monday. Up to the discretion of the committee apparently.

Yes, I understand that is what is happening; committees are deciding that the directives from the government are subject to interpretation. However, there are enforcement teams that will take a different view, probably only resulting in a warning initially. Violation of regulations may also delay the approved opening of facilities.