Condo pools opening?

toxictotoro

Anyone's condo pool open again? I realize it's early in the day at the time of this writing, so hope to hear some positive reports later.

Since pool are not hotels, and are not "team sports facilities" (well, unless you play water polo^^)....should they not fall under the relaxed restrictions? Or does the mask requirement, even though it's private property, tank that logic?

Edited by toxictotoro

Condo swimming pools are not included in the list of relaxation measures and not allowed to open yet. PRD spokesman specifically discussed condo pools starting at 12:41 minutes into his speach which you can find on the Bangkok Post website (article about 3 cases yesterday, video at the bottom of the page). The video is also on the PRD facebook page I believe, as well as RB's website.  

In fact a couple days ago a group was kicked out of our pool common area for sitting, eating, playing, no masks, no social distancing as if things were back to normal. They even brazenly pulled out the pool furniture for their recless party. 

Screenshot_20200503-163246_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by RBOP
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chefgno said:

I wish I could join that German group right now. Where I live, maybe 10 people are are residing now in their condo's, and its like being in grade school here in Bangtao Gardens. Its pathetic that the reasoning here is so childish. We are adults and surely can take care of ourselves and be safe

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

Condo swimming pools are not included in the list of relaxation measures and not allowed to open yet. PRD spokesman specifically discussed condo pools starting at 12:41 minutes into his speach which you can find on the Bangkok Post website (article about 3 cases yesterday, video at the bottom of the page). The video is also on the PRD facebook page I believe, as well as RB's website.  

In fact a couple days ago a group was kicked out of our pool common area for sitting, eating, playing, no masks, no social distancing as if things were back to normal. They even brazenly pulled out the pool furniture for their recless party. 

Yes I watched the English presentation yesterday.  The spokesman said that condo pools do not fall into the category of public sports areas, so are not included in what is being relaxed for those groups.  However, he maddeningly did not answer the question as to what category and jurisdiction condo pools do fall under and gave no answer as to when they would be allowed to re-open. 

• Like 1

I would say its up to condo management,if pools are open,bigger ones ,best to stay closed.

I can view over 30 other condo pools from my balcony.only sbout 3 very small condos are using their pools.one is new condo,has only about two rooms occupied.

29 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes I watched the English presentation yesterday.  The spokesman said that condo pools do not fall into the category of public sports areas, so are not included in what is being relaxed for those groups.  However, he maddeningly did not answer the question as to what category and jurisdiction condo pools do fall under and gave no answer as to when they would be allowed to re-open. 

I doubt your going to get a definitive answer to that. 

• Like 1

"     Yes I watched the English presentation yesterday.  The spokesman said that condo pools do not fall into the category of public sports areas, so are not included in what is being relaxed for those groups.  However, he maddeningly did not answer the question as to what category and jurisdiction condo pools do fall under and gave no answer as to when they would be allowed to re-open. "

The way I heard what he said was that condo pools were never included in the closure of public pools - so not subject to the closure order in the first place. Everything I've heard was that private pools (including condos) were up to the owners as long as proper social distancing was observered. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Chlorine in pools kills bacteria, smaller viruses are just a snack. But don't let science or data get in the way of hysteria.

Or get in the way of making an intelligent decision by Thais.

Posted this before ... I look out my windows into the pool but can’t dive in. About 5 people in our condo!

Relax this dumb rule : Maybe restrict numbers swimming at same time so filtration systems have time to work, maybe increase (minutely) the salts n chlorine levels to increase bacteria n germ kill rate efficiency.
open the damn beaches with kind  policing for social distancing. I live in Phuket not Patong and the beach in my area is a kilometre long and almost empty. It was like that 2 months ago before this thing went balistic! There would be zero I repeat zero issue with transmission at this beach if distancing were observed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

"     Yes I watched the English presentation yesterday.  The spokesman said that condo pools do not fall into the category of public sports areas, so are not included in what is being relaxed for those groups.  However, he maddeningly did not answer the question as to what category and jurisdiction condo pools do fall under and gave no answer as to when they would be allowed to re-open. "

The way I heard what he said was that condo pools were never included in the closure of public pools - so not subject to the closure order in the first place. Everything I've heard was that private pools (including condos) were up to the owners as long as proper social distancing was observered. 

I wish this was clarified.  I own 2 condos, one in Bangkok and one in Pattaya.  Both have cited 'the government' as requiring the pools to be closed.  Haven't been able to nail down what exactly 'the government' means.  

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Posted this before ... I look out my windows into the pool but can’t dive in. About 5 people in our condo!

Relax this dumb rule : Maybe restrict numbers swimming at same time so filtration systems have time to work, maybe increase (minutely) the salts n chlorine levels to increase bacteria n germ kill rate efficiency.
open the damn beaches with kind  policing for social distancing. I live in Phuket not Patong and the beach in my area is a kilometre long and almost empty. It was like that 2 months ago before this thing went balistic! There would be zero I repeat zero issue with transmission at this beach if distancing were observed.

I agree with you, Dont for get about the cost of running these pools my friend has an hotel and the pool is 45m had to close as we all know so zero business to even cover the cost of running the pool, as you know you cannot turn it off

3 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Good Lord, the German guy’s at my place have been swimming and drinking beer at and in the pool for weeks.....????????????????

Think of all these towels lying around. ????

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

He says condominium swimming pools are NOT included in the restricted areas...@ 13.02

Edited by samtam

Ours was closed and roped off but has now reopened. It probably helps that the pool can't be seen from outside, there is a security gate stopping people from entering, and less than 20 out of 45 units are occupied meaning there is rarely more than 1 or 2 people in it at any one time. 

I'm assuming the decision is up to the Juristic manager and thankfully ours has some common sense.

1 hour ago, samtam said:

He says condominium swimming pools are NOT included in the restricted areas...@ 13.02

"...another inquiry about easing of restrictions...about condos with swimming pools [whether] they fall under the Sports & Recreation Category...actually swimming pools in condominiums are NOT included. This category covers public facilities..."

Actually, I have listened and re-listened to this section, and on second thoughts it is not at all clear. The spox is saying the Sports & Recreation Category covers public facilities, condo pools are not public facilities, so they are not covered. He does not elaborate whether they are allowed to operate, (and always have been?). Whilst Natapun's English is excellent, the answer regarding condo pools is not clear at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rgrdns said:

Hi...what about condo gyms e.g. small max. 5 persons or some more 

My understanding is that they cannot be opened.

If you think about it too, a gym is (usually) air conditioned, has multiple surfaces etc. Unless deeply sanitised after every individual use, a very high risk area for transmissible virus.

6 minutes ago, samtam said:

"...another inquiry about easing of restrictions...about condos with swimming pools [whether] they fall under the Sports & Recreation Category...actually swimming pools in condominiums are NOT included. This category covers public facilities..."

Actually, I have listened and re-listened to this section, and on second thoughts it is not at all clear. The spox is saying the Sports & Recreation Category covers public facilities, condo pools are not public facilities, so they are not covered. He does not elaborate whether they are allowed to operate, (and always have been?). Whilst Natapun's English is excellent, the answer regarding condo pools is not clear at all.

My take, too--after also listening to it several times.  He really didn't answer the question.

1 minute ago, newnative said:

My take, too--after also listening to it several times.  He really didn't answer the question.

I have asked my JPM/BM to get clarification. On Saturday the answer was "no" to re-opening, but this throws a new light on it. It suggests the restrictions are only for public facilities, so as some have suggested, they were never intended to apply to condo pools. 

On top of this, there is a fundamental misunderstanding about swimming pools. They can be magnets for social gathering, but they can also be purely a facility to exercise. I have swum 1200m 3x per week in our pool for the last 17 years; I shower before entering, swim, shower after finishing, and leave. There was rarely anyone there, and with the effect of chlorine, they are probably one of the safest places to exercise in Covid-19.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, samtam said:

I have asked my JPM/BM to get clarification. On Saturday the answer was "no" to re-opening, but this throws a new light on it. It suggests the restrictions are only for public facilities, so as some have suggested, they were never intended to apply to condo pools. 

On top of this, there is a fundamental misunderstanding about swimming pools. They can be magnets for social gathering, but they can also be purely a facility to exercise. I have swum 1200m 3x per week in our pool for the last 17 years; I shower before entering, swim, shower after finishing, and leave. There was rarely anyone there, and with the effect of chlorine, they are probably one of the safest places to exercise in Covid-19.

I think you might be right and condos may be misunderstanding the restrictions.  One of my condos has not even allowed any sports on the green areas of the condo.  My partner and I wanted to get some exercise with badminton when the pool and gym closed but we were told it wasn't allowed as the green area was 'public space'.  

My condo pools are also never crowded--usually only 2 or 3 people in them at maximum--sometimes none or one.  Pool usage with social distancing could easily be handled by a sign-up sheet in half hour blocks limiting the pool to a set number of swimmers at any time, especially with low season now.

27 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think you might be right and condos may be misunderstanding the restrictions.  One of my condos has not even allowed any sports on the green areas of the condo.  My partner and I wanted to get some exercise with badminton when the pool and gym closed but we were told it wasn't allowed as the green area was 'public space'.  

My condo pools are also never crowded--usually only 2 or 3 people in them at maximum--sometimes none or one.  Pool usage with social distancing could easily be handled by a sign-up sheet in half hour blocks limiting the pool to a set number of swimmers at any time, especially with low season now.

Yes, it's very unclear, and has caused a great deal of angst in my condo. I am on the committee, and we asked the JPM (who's a lawyer), to rule on these matters. Of course, because the government/BMA announcement is also vague, he has ruled on the broadest interpretation, so has said "no" to pools, but yes to our recreational floor, (open air), and just recently "yes" to tennis court, "yes" to basket ball court; I said the latter was wrong - basket ball is a team sport, but it will be open to 2 to kick a football around. He has said "no" to the gym, with which I agree, (given its high risk, closed aircon area with multiple surfaces). A major row is brewing in respect of the latter. One would normally say "apply common sense", but unfortunately the complexity of the transmissible nature of the virus means no one really knows, not even doctors, and certainly not lawyers. "Use at your own risk" is also not applicable, given someone else's disregard for risk can inadvertently cause infection to an innocent party. 

The CCSA news briefing, while well-intentioned, just causes confusion. 

• Like 1