Annual Extensions based on Child or Marriage? Difference in requirements?

What are the different requirements for getting annual extensions based on being a parent of a Thai born Thai national, and annual extensions based on marriage to a Thai?

Funds would be 400,000 baht kept in my Thai bank account. 

Location is Chiang Mai.

Married to their mother.

Name on their birth certificate.

Visa: Non-O multi-entry based on marriage/family.

(All would be done after Covid, obviously)

I previously thought that one had to be the legal Thai guardian of the Thai child, seems I was incorrect.

So what is needed and what is the process for getting annual extensions based on being a parent of a Thai national that lives here, and how is it different to the requirements and processes of an extension based on marriage? (in terms of things like interviewing neighbors, photos in the bedroom etc)

TIA.

Edited by JeffersLos

The only big difference is that the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for one based upon being the legal parent of a Thai according to the written rules. Everything else is about the same (photos and etc).

Being married to their mother makes you the legal parent of your child. Not sure how somebody came up with the guardian thing.

But some offices may refuse to do the extension if you are still married to their mother. They will insist you do it based upon marriage.

The current covid 19 emergency would not prevent you from applying for the extension during the last 30 days of your current 90 day entry.

• Like 2

What if the alien does not live with the Thai spouse/parent or Thai child?

If they have a Thai child here, but don't live with them or the Thai parent, but live in the same city. 

Edited by JeffersLos

9 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

What if the alien does not live with the Thai spouse/parent or Thai child?

They do not have to live with the father full time. About half the time may be accepted.

Photos of the the father and child in and around the house together and they must be togehter when the application is done.

• Like 2

I presume that if the op was not married to the mother before the birth he would have to start with legalising himself as the father through the courts if the child is under 7? I ask as I am going through the same process this year.

5 minutes ago, gavlar said:

I presume that if the op was not married to the mother before the birth he would have to start with legalising himself as the father through the courts if the child is under 7? I ask as I am going through the same process this year.

Marrying your child's mother after birth legalizes your parenthood.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:51 PM, ubonjoe said:

The only big difference is that the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for one based upon being the legal parent of a Thai...

And what is the requirement for the marriage?

So besides the time the funds need to be seasoned.

The other difference is, you need to be living together if going for the married visa route, but can be living apart, though sharing the Thai child if going the parent visa route?