Pattaya: More misery as pubs, bars and entertainment ordered shut until the end of the month

webfact

9 hours ago, champers said:

Front page news in today's BP that massage shops, spas, gyms, water parks and other tourist connected businesses can open from Sunday 17th May. This is subject to next weeks number of Covid 19 infections remaining low. No opening yet for bars.

Also, hotels are lobbying for the removal of quarantine requirements for visitors from China and South Korea.

All those things are enjoyed by Chinese tourists and some involve close contact. Only bars, which Chinese don't use are staying closed.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It isn't a question of buying it. it's a question if western tourists have any money to go on an overseas holiday.

Maybe they should forget tourists and encourage western pensioners to all move here permanently.

Must be loads of old guys living in bedsits in the UK who'd be happy to live in a condo in Pattaya.

Every UK pensioner has at least 600GBP a month to spend, that's probably more than a Chinese/Indian tourist spends here.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe they should forget tourists and encourage western pensioners to all move here permanently.

Must be loads of old guys living in bedsits in the UK who'd be happy to live in a condo in Pattaya.

Every UK pensioner has at least 600GBP a month to spend, that's probably more than a Chinese/Indian tourist spends here.

But if such a thing were to happen en masse, im sure the government would find a way to penalise or tax non resident pensioners more.

All governments hate money leaking out of their economies into other countries.

And now that they have herded as many as possible back home, they will be even worse after this Covid thing.

Every country is now harping on citizens to buy local, and (eventually) have domestic holidays.

Very convenient that. 

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

So Chatuchak market has re-opened but you can't go on the beach?  Intelligence/common sense are not prerequisites for decision makers here!

Clearly you don't understand why the beaches are closed. Nothing to do with social distancing, it's about discouraging tourists, particularly the Bangkok weekenders. Same reason Central Pattaya was barriered off to visitors for 3 weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All those things are enjoyed by Chinese tourists and some involve close contact. Only bars, which Chinese don't use are staying closed.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Koh Larn is still closed, popular with the Chinese. A large hotel near me that is exclusively used by zero baht tours is closed. Large restaurants in Pattaya exclusive to the Chinese are still closed unlike a number of restaurants that cater for farangs. Not seen any paragliders in the bay yet. So what are these businesses that are popular with Chinese that have reopened? Large malls? Nope still largely closed.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:58 AM, NCC1701A said:

Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.

Don't forget NCC. . might be Pattaya. 'Get out of her my people if you do not want to share in her sins and if you do not want to recieve part of her plagues 5 for her sins have massed up to heaven and god has called her acts of injustice to mind.

11 Also the traveling merchants of the earth are weeping and mourning because there is no one to buy their full stock anymore. From Revelations 18.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

So Chatuchak market has re-opened but you can't go on the beach?  Intelligence/common sense are not prerequisites for decision makers here!

an enclosed area and yet people can go !!! what is wrong with NOT opening the beaches?? As far as I know Hua Hin beach is open so why NOT our beaches.....a complete farce it is !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

uk pension depends on how much one has contributed thru N I.... I know there is a minimum ammount payable.....

8 minutes ago, essox essox said:

uk pension depends on how much one has contributed thru N I.... I know there is a minimum ammount payable.....

My pension was fixed when I was 65  8 years ago at 132 quid a week. should I live to 80 yo it will still be 132 quid.

Prices go up here every day, my pension stays the same.

5 hours ago, pookondee said:

The smart countries will soon be opening everything, and just coming down hard on anyone caught in public with a high temperature or even any hint of symptoms.

Its not rocket science.

Let healthy people get on with life,

anyone caught wondering around in public with a temperature or any symptoms needs to be arrested, jailed, fined, taken away..whatever.

Thats what should have happened in the first place. Make sick people stay at home ONLY.

Thailand already has been taking temp checks before people enter businesses.

Widespread enough, this will train people not to go out when sick.

Places like Australia have not even done that.

Thailand may not be the smartest country, but i believe they will open everything very soon,

out of necessity..

UNLESS they are prepared to pay billions of baht in stimulus/ welfare or brace for a mass revolt, demonstrations, rioting and a massive crime spike.

I believe there is no Thai industry that will stand to long for 1 sector being open, while others are made to stay shut, especially when it really makes no sense.

Wait for it.

Thai will announce Covid is virtually gone in Thailand, but they will make special laws to detain anyone wondering around in public with any symptoms whatsover, just to be sure.

Im betting by the end of July, everything is back to normal in Thailand, including international travel.

Whether other countries and tourists buy that Thai way of thinking is another thing altogether though.

Another armchair doctor who hasn't a clue. People do not show symptoms for 7 to 14 days but still shed the virus.

They would pass temperature tests etc and still effect everyone in close contact in every bar and restaurant up and down Soi Bukhawo.

Einstein, that's why the world has been in lockdown for months.

Your attitude and lack of knowledge is the reason that many won't risk travelling to Pattaya.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

My pension was fixed when I was 65  8 years ago at 132 quid a week. should I live to 80 yo it will still be 132 quid.

Prices go up here every day, my pension stays the same.

I hope you kept your property rented out at home in the UK.

Spending all your capital and living on a fixed pension being slowly eroded by inflation is a recipe for poverty in later years. Your at the mercy of the exchange rate as well. That recently has devalued sterling for more than inflation ever could.

Many people think this crisis with so much government spending is going to lead to real inflation.

Do not sell your property in the UK you will be in a world of trouble. 

Edited by WillyPlatt
Edit

The government should be taking suicide deaths into account and balancing them against deaths through Covid. Studies have shown suicides rise 1% for every 1% rise in unemployment (source Reuters). Covid kills the old. Suicide kills people who are still economically productive. It is sad, but you need adults in government to balance this deadly calculus. 

It is way past time to fully open up. Lockdowns were not justified after the first couple of weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

And what are you then? 

part of the sheeple that swallow all the sหit your government feeds you?

What do you reccomend?

Just everyone cower indoors in fear?

What about when the food supply chain eventually fails everywhere?

For the sake of less people dead than what the normal flu kills.

I know it spreads fast, but you cant just shut the world.

Do you think your food, power, rubbish collection all will just keep magically going. It was looking like the beef industry in US would soon be kaput if they started shutting down abbatoirs

Get real, your preferred world would be lot worse than a world where 1% or so die of Covid.

What without food, services, no jobs and people trained into being cowards and hiding indoors from the boogeyman.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11585079/south-korea-nightclubs-bars-coronavirus-spike-blamed-clubbers-lockdown/

Here's a paper you will be familiar with.

South Korea has just closed over 2000 bars because of concern over a second spike.

I wonder where there is another place that has over 2000 bars?

Thailand will do exactly the same if needs be. Your deluded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pookondee said:

IMy opinion is Thailand is gonna "get on with it" quicker than most.

Im hoping anyway because (unlike our countries) there is no welfare and people are hurting. 

Lets see!

Well behind the US in "getting on with it". Georgia is leading the world in the game of Russian roulette.

Lets see!

14 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

aussies will never stop going to patters whatever happens

At the current exchange rate, and dropping, I hear they have to work a full day for every beer they wanna buy in a pole club

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2020 at 2:54 AM, Chivas said:

Government had already said Bars Clubs Boxing Stadiums would be the very last type of businesses to reopen

i saw a government leaked message that says there must be a cleaner

with alcoholic wipe after each and every time a metal pole in a go go bar

will be used.

18 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i saw a government leaked message that says there must be a cleaner

with alcoholic wipe after each and every time a metal pole in a go go bar

will be used.

I still hope the gogo girls will don't use alcoholic wipe to clean my pole