Pattaya: More misery as pubs, bars and entertainment ordered shut until the end of the month

webfact

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All those things are enjoyed by Chinese tourists and some involve close contact. Only bars, which Chinese don't use are staying closed.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Let me guess they only want the top end tourists and not cheap charly farangs.

18 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

My pension was fixed when I was 65  8 years ago at 132 quid a week. should I live to 80 yo it will still be 132 quid.

Prices go up here every day, my pension stays the same.

At 77, mine has been frozen for 12 years after paying in for 40 years.  Judge a country by how it treats its old.

• Like 2

If they close all places of entertainment, what's there to do in Pattaya? They're using all their power

to discourage tourists to visit The Land of Smiles and if they keep doing it they could ending succeeding! 

14 hours ago, kingdong said:

Let me guess they only want the top end tourists and not cheap charly farangs.

the cheap charlies spend much money on everything around here.....they help keep the economy going......BUT i think there will be less and less of them in the future

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 10:41 PM, Ron jeremy said:

They are doing what they are told, period! If you don't like it, don't go!

the vast majority of men walking hand in hand in Bangkok are not with their wives, but hourly acquaintances , 

how are they to know it's your wife?

In truth the ones walking hand in hand have been daft enough to pay upfront and it just stops her doing a runner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning

Anybody knows when some more restrictions would be lifted ?? for example pedicures, manicures, restaurants allowed to sell wine, AC restaurants reopening and so on ?
Thank you

Have a nice week

1 hour ago, Moo 2 said:

If they close all places of entertainment, what's there to do in Pattaya? They're using all their power

to discourage tourists to visit The Land of Smiles and if they keep doing it they could ending succeeding! 

If they close all places of entertainment, that would apply to anyplace.

1 hour ago, Moo 2 said:

They are doing their best to keep Thailand covid free. Tourists=Covid, particularly Brits and Americans.

Good job Thailand, I for one am grateful.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

They are doing their best to keep Thailand covid free. Tourists=Covid, particularly Brits and Americans.

Good job Thailand, I for one am grateful.

They wasn,t that bothered about it jan-feb,hope Thailand appreciates your allegiance to it.

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

They wasn,t that bothered about it jan-feb,hope Thailand appreciates your allegiance to it.

Neither was the UK and US so who do I give my allegiance to? A country that has virtually eradicated Covid from within its borders or a country that is still seeing 1000 deaths per day?

On 5/10/2020 at 6:44 AM, kingdong said:

Fair comments and judging by the quality available in the bars Jan-feb this year you,'re right,however I prefer to get to know a girl at least for 2-3 hours before the night commences,i,'ve heard it described as the gfe,to walk into a short time brothel is a bit mechanical,and after you have the same feeling as if you,d  just had a j.arthur,I know i,m an old romantic but there you go.

The thing is, the 2 to 3 hours with a girl that works in a bar ends up costing more than the "job" you may pay her to do later. 

The bar sells lady drinks at exorbitant prices, and then a couple of hours later, when you have made your decision, you pay for the privilege of paying for high priced drinks by paying a bar fine.  

Don't get me wrong, I have done it, many many times, but as lady drink prices increased, as well as bar fines, I found the bars were making more money out of small glasses of lady drink orange juice, and a bar fine, than the girl was making doing "the job."  I could understand if it was a nice place with a/c, clean etc, but for a <deleted> beer bar, it became a bit hard to justify.  I'd rather give the girl extra than the bar.

You can still have the girlfriend experience with girls off the apps.   Many times I will be in a bar and arrange to meet there.  I usually ask, "Can we meet for a drink first?"  Answer has always been, "Yes."  Quiet a few times I have liked them and discussed long time and then gone out dancing or to see live music and came home late together.  Sometimes I have stayed in the same bar all night with a girl off an app.  Done it quite a few time at Billabong Bar because I like the band there.    

Obviously, you don't order in to bars on Soi 6, for example,  but larger bars, or small quieter bars, no problem at all.

As you mention, there wasn't much talent around this past high season, but there was on the apps. 

I said even before the virus the days of bar fines are coming to an end.     

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:47 AM, kingdong said:

I offered to buy,but city hall didn,t have change and I only had a 100 baht note.

The Chinese will be looking to buy up a lot of businesses and real estate in the future.  I just hope Pattaya does not go the way of Sihanoukville.  

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The thing is, the 2 to 3 hours with a girl that works in a bar ends up costing more than the "job" you may pay her to do later. 

The bar sells lady drinks at exorbitant prices, and then a couple of hours later, when you have made your decision, you pay for the privilege of paying for high priced drinks by paying a bar fine.  

Don't get me wrong, I have done it, many many times, but as lady drink prices increased, as well as bar fines, I found the bars were making more money out of small glasses of lady drink orange juice, and a bar fine, than the girl was making doing "the job."  I could understand if it was a nice place with a/c, clean etc, but for a <deleted> beer bar, it became a bit hard to justify.  I'd rather give the girl extra than the bar.

You can still have the girlfriend experience with girls off the apps.   Many times I will be in a bar and arrange to meet there.  I usually ask, "Can we meet for a drink first?"  Answer has always been, "Yes."  Quiet a few times I have liked them and discussed long time and then gone out dancing or to see live music and came home late together.  Sometimes I have stayed in the same bar all night with a girl off an app.  Done it quite a few time at Billabong Bar because I like the band there.    

Obviously, you don't order in to bars on Soi 6, for example,  but larger bars, or small quieter bars, no problem at all.

As you mention, there wasn't much talent around this past high season, but there was on the apps. 

I said even before the virus the days of bar fines are coming to an end.     

Think you underestimate me,am not a newbie and have made over 30 visits,I might buy one lady drink and sometimes don,t do that just tip her 100baht and then pay  barfine and leave,this is due to the greed of the bar,seems to be a myth circulating once you pay bar fine her drinks are normal price,never had it happen to me,i,'ve also had it where i,'ve attempted to bar fine a gir l to be told by the mamasaan  "i,'ve got to buy 2 drinks" I just smile and say yet mung,I don,t come to Thailand to be told what i,m going to do and when i,m going to do it,seems a lot of pussy whipped mugs do however.

Edited by kingdong

6 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Neither was the UK and US so who do I give my allegiance to? A country that has virtually eradicated Covid from within its borders or a country that is still seeing 1000 deaths per day?

Difference is one country has free elections and a free press,the other is run by the military,

2 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

We're talking about Covid-19 here and the government's willingness to do the right thing to protect its people. I'm no fan of the Thai government but on this they've got it right and the US and UK have got it wrong. I feel much safer in Thailand now than I would in the UK or US.

Up to you,if it's so "under control" why's pattaya in such a draconian lockdown to the point one can,t buy alcohol?just had a pm off a mate saying it's a ghost town,are the road blocks still up on the sukhamvit road?

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Up to you,if it's so "under control" why's pattaya in such a draconian lockdown to the point one can,t buy alcohol?just had a pm off a mate saying it's a ghost town,are the road blocks still up on the sukhamvit road?

He lied to you. The roadblocks went several days ago and were there to prevent Bangkok weekenders from bringing the virus into Pattaya. Alcohol is on sale for home consumption, same as the UK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingdong said:

Think you underestimate me,am not a newbie and have made over 30 visits,I might buy one lady drink and sometimes don,t do that just tip her 100baht and then pay  barfine and leave,this is due to the greed of the bar,seems to be a myth circulating once you pay bar fine her drinks are normal price,never had it happen to me,i,'ve also had it where i,'ve attempted to bar fine a gir l to be told by the mamasaan  "i,'ve got to buy 2 drinks" I just smile and say yet mung,I don,t come to Thailand to be told what i,m going to do and when i,m going to do it,seems a lot of pussy whipped mugs do however.

Your just the sort of punter the bar owners will be losing sleep over not returning.

I doubt the buy 1 water eat the buffet model will exist when you decide to grace Pattaya with your extravagant spending, but no doubt you will sniff them out within 24hrs of you getting off the bus from BKK.

Good news on the accommodation front as well for you Rockefeller, looks like you will be able to upgrade from a fan to aircon room for your budget trip.

Hoping i never meet you,

Best Regards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

He lied to you. The roadblocks went several days ago and were there to prevent Bangkok weekenders from bringing the virus into Pattaya. Alcohol is on sale for home consumption, same as the UK.

He didn,t lie to me,I asked if the roadblocks were still up,this trying to put words in people's mouths just shows you can,t address the point,alcohol was banned when was it allowed to be sold?was always available in uk well adios and hope they don,t change the visa rules again.

3 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

Your just the sort of punter the bar owners will be losing sleep over not returning.

I doubt the buy 1 water eat the buffet model will exist when you decide to grace Pattaya with your extravagant spending, but no doubt you will sniff them out within 24hrs of you getting off the bus from BKK.

Good news on the accommodation front as well for you Rockefeller, looks like you will be able to upgrade from a fan to aircon room for your budget trip.

Hoping i never meet you,

Best Regards.

On your last point same same,but think it's highly unlikely as i,m a bit fussy about my company,well hope you find some mug ,sorry astute financial investor to buy your bar.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

When I used to pay bar fines, I always paid and went with the girl to another bar.  I always thought it strange that bars never said, "After you pay bar fine drink for lady normal price."  Many times I probably would have stayed in her bar, but not for double priced soft drinks being passed of as alcohol.

I've never come across the minimum lady requirement, but I've had a couple of manasans try on the, "Bar fine for 1 hour" BS on me.  I apologized to the girl, checked the bin, no tip, and left.  

The beer bar business model has been in decline in recent times.  Even with out the virus, I couldn't see it being sustainable into the future.

It,s not about the money,it's the principle,if you,'re willing to sit there and get mugged off,up to you,i,m personally not and if you,'re one of these bar owners who let's this go on in your bar,you won,t find me in there,so to all all you bar owners on this forum just remember one thing,it's very hard to get punters in your bar,but very easy to lose them.also the two drink thing I mentioned it wasn,t for her the Manasaan was telling me I had to have two beers before the girl could be bar fined,sorry teerack but had a gutfull of being told.what to do when I served,

Edited by kingdong
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 1:38 AM, kingdong said:

It,s not about the money,it's the principle,if you,'re willing to sit there and get mugged off,up to you,i,m personally not and if you,'re one of these bar owners who let's this go on in your bar,you won,t find me in there,so to all all you bar owners on this forum just remember one thing,it's very hard to get punters in your bar,but very easy to lose them.also the two drink thing I mentioned it wasn,t for her the Manasaan was telling me I had to have two beers before the girl could be bar fined,sorry teerack but had a gutfull of being told.what to do when I served,

I just go to a bar, and order a beer.  Some of the girls in the bar give me the "Hello.  Where you come from" routine.  I just say, 'Sorry. I am waiting for my girlfriend."  They just don't know I haven't found one yet.   ????  There's no problem, and I sit on the phone apps for 10 minutes making arrangements.  

Not too long after, a girl is out the front.  She comes inside and I buy her a drink.  Sometimes we don't hang around.  Sometimes we stay for hours, playing pool, chatting with the staff, or, go to see live music.   

If you take a look around in the bars, you can see it's very common.  Guys will sit alone on the phone, and soon be joined by a new friend.    

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 9:36 PM, WillyPlatt said:

Hoping i never meet you,

Best Regards.

Taxi and hotel operators complained, all around the world, when Uber and AirBnB made inroads into their profits.  

The days of bar fines and lady drinks are coming to an end.  That business model has been digitally disrupted, like the aforementioned industries.  The bars here will will have to adapt, or wither away and die.  

How a pile of bricks, under a tin roof, with lousy music blaring, adapts, that's another question.