Extension of stay (marriage) - last 30 days

I understand that during the last 30 days of a non-o visa being valid that you can apply for the extension of stay based on marriage.

Are there any rules regarding when to apply within those last 30 days? For example, could the application be made within the last 2 weeks of the visa's validity or does it have to be done sooner?

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply during the last days of the 90 entry from a non-o visa not the visas validity.

You can apply at any time during the 30 days up to the last day if you want to.

Ah yes - that is what I meant, the validity of the entry not the visa itself. 

Thanks for the info @ubonjoe. So if I applied with a few days left, would I still be able to stay within Thailand whilst it's being processed, even if my entry expires during this time?

5 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

Ah yes - that is what I meant, the validity of the entry not the visa itself. 

Thanks for the info @ubonjoe. So if I applied with a few days left, would I still be able to stay within Thailand whilst it's being processed, even if my entry expires during this time?

When you apply for the extension you will be given a under consideration stamp with a report back date that will will be 30 days from the day you apply or from the day your 90 day entry ends at some offices. The stamp allows you to stay until your extension is approved.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply for the extension you will be given a under consideration stamp with a report back date that will will be 30 days from the day you apply or from the day your 90 day entry ends at some offices. The stamp allows you to stay until your extension is approved.

Great - thanks again for the information

13 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

Great - thanks again for the information

Do note that this only applies if your application is accepted. If they tell you that you're missing documents, you will have to get those before your current extension of stay expires. You only get the Under Consideration stamp once the immigration office has accepted your application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

Do note that this only applies if your application is accepted. If they tell you that you're missing documents, you will have to get those before your current extension of stay expires. You only get the Under Consideration stamp once the immigration office has accepted your application.

Thanks for that - it's a good point. I don't intend to wait until the very last few days just in case things are not in order but it's good to know that I don't have to rush to apply during the very beginning of my last 30 days

Depending on the financial method used and chosen Thai bank, if you need to get an annual statement this could take up to 10 days. Being your first application, I'd advise you apply as soon as possible.

Regardless of how early you apply, your extension once approved will always be dated from the expiry date of your previous permission of stay. You don't lose any days by applying early.

• Like 1