People rush to stock up on booze

snoop1130

People rush to stock up on booze

By THE NATION

800_c9eb3b51253803c.jpg
PHOTO CREDIT: Nation Photo by Supakit Khumkun

Security officials kept a close eye on shoppers who swarmed to Makro wholesale centre to pick up alcohol to ensure they followed social distancing and other regulations put in place to control the spread of Covid-19.

The ban on the sale of alcohol was lifted on Sunday (May 3) though bars and restaurants are still prohibited from serving alcoholic beverages.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387260?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-04

• Sad 1

One of my local  Makro  in Sattahip had absolutely no beer at all this morning

just a small amount of wine,wine coolers and expensive (imported) spirits.

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

If all those people in the photo are 2 metres from each other I need to go to Specsavers.

And I can guarantee the photo was NOT taken in Macro Phitsanulok.

It's the first photo in Thailand where I"ve seen them at least attempt to be 2 metres apart.  The very first one (and they're still not doing a great job at it but I digress...

What is it with vast quantities of LEO beer, every photo and video I've seen of the panic buyers has involved either a pallet of LEO  or else many boxes of it? Is it all the Thais drink nowadays? 

(disclaimer - latest photo from the GF in self-isolation shows her drinking a LEO, lol) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Security officials kept a close eye on shoppers who swarmed to Makro wholesale centre to pick up alcohol

on Facebook and other social media from their offices. 

i knew that these guys would show up after that video of Makro selling beer at 10:15 in the morning.

not much was said about that.  just the mini riot. 

I was surprised Marko let that happen.  

Edited by NCC1701A

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

on Facebook and other social media from their offices. 

i knew that these guys would show up after that video of Makro selling beer at 10:15 in the morning.

not much was said about that.  just the mini riot. 

I was surprised Marko let that happen.  

Yes I'm surprised also because Macro always used to tell me till not work until 11.00.Then it was always set to work at 11.07

1 minute ago, Knocker33 said:

Yes I'm surprised also because Macro always used to tell me till not work until 11.00.Then it was always set to work at 11.07

I am surprised that people still fall for that myth..... 7-11 used to say the same.

Don't forget that if you have a traders card with Makro you can buy alcohol outside the normal licensing hours.... I have previous purchased boxes of beer at 07:00 - I suspect that many in recent photos were smaller Mom and Pop shops restocking.

Back in March, long before any bans or restrictions, I went to a Makro to buy some snacks and a bottle of wine. 
Got to the register and the woman wouldn't ring the wine through - because it was 7 minutes before 11:00 (there were maybe a dozen other shoppers scattered throughout the store so it wasn't like she was worried someone might notice and say something).

She set the wine aside and rang everything else through. I stood behind the register (a couple meters back) until the clock hit 11 and walked up beside the register. After she finished with the customer in front of her, she rang the bottle through.

I've been denied at 7-11s and Big Cs as well because I was too early (or in one case, 5 minutes too late - at a 7-11).

Fortunately my world doesn't revolve around alcohol and I can function perfectly fine without it, so it isn't a big deal (and I don't have to rush out to panic buy as much as I can the instant it becomes available again).

13 hours ago, johng said:

One of my local  Makro  in Sattahip had absolutely no beer at all this morning

just a small amount of wine,wine coolers and expensive (imported) spirits.

Did you try the Big C next door for stock, I went into my local 7/11 to pay the electric bill and had a look at the booze cabinets out of interest, nobody there, all fully stocked up.

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

What is it with vast quantities of LEO beer, every photo and video I've seen of the panic buyers has involved either a pallet of LEO  or else many boxes of it? Is it all the Thais drink nowadays? 

(disclaimer - latest photo from the GF in self-isolation shows her drinking a LEO, lol) 

Prefer Archa beer myself

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I am surprised that people still fall for that myth..... 7-11 used to say the same.

Don't forget that if you have a traders card with Makro you can buy alcohol outside the normal licensing hours.... I have previous purchased boxes of beer at 07:00 - I suspect that many in recent photos were smaller Mom and Pop shops restocking.

I have a liquor license, well the wife does so I can buy anytime now but before the cashier tried to put booze through just before 11.00 and the till rejected it Maybe different now I don't know