Germany to reopen all shops, allow soccer matches - sources

webfact

Germany to reopen all shops, allow soccer matches - sources

By Sabine Siebold and Andreas Rinke

2020-05-04T212056Z_1_LYNXMPEG4320I_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-MERKEL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: German Chancellor Angela Merkel attends a news conference after discussing with German state premiers whether the regulations imposed to limit the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) need relaxing, at the Chancellery in Berlin, Germany, April 30, 2020. Kay Nietfeld/Pool via REUTERS

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's state premiers will agree on measures to further ease coronavirus restrictions in a teleconference with Chancellor Angela Merkel scheduled for Wednesday, two people familiar with the preparations told Reuters on Monday.

The state premiers are expected to give the green light for large shops to reopen, probably from May 11, the sources said.

Smaller shops are already back to business in Europe's largest economy as long as they respect social distancing rules to slow the spread of the highly contagious novel coronavirus.

German states are also set to allow the Bundesliga soccer league to resume matches, probably from May 15, under strict conditions without fans in stadiums, the sources said.

At the same time, state premiers will allow outdoor sports for non-professionals and children, the sources added.

The states will also agree to reopen schools for all grades step-by-step, though most children will only be allowed to go to class in rotating shifts, not on daily basis, the sources said.

Officials are also aware that "something needs to be done" to gradually reopen day nurseries and kindergartens for as many toddlers as possible to help working parents, one source said.

Germany took a further step on the long road back to post-coronavirus normality on Monday, with museums and hairdressers reopening under strict conditions, churches opening their doors for worshippers, and more car factories resuming work.

But more than a month after Germany suspended all but essential social and commercial life to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, politicians are at odds over how far and how fast to move.

There is mounting pressure from business groups and some regional governments who are anxious to move faster on restarting economic life. Merkel has warned that reopening too swiftly risks triggering a second wave of infections.

Germany has been more successful than other large European countries in slowing the virus' spread - it estimates that every 100 carriers of the virus now infects only 74 others on average, well below the 100 mark where new restrictions must be imposed.

(Writing by Michael Nienaber; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-05

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Oh how successful the Asians have been and how envious we all look now toward Germany, Austria, Sweden, where people can go shopping at department stores and live a life resembling normality. 

Meanwhile, 40 cases and one death in this city and still closed almost all businesses.

The fear is strong in these ones.

Meanwhile in Sweden

image.png.7ddc8b5cb15b6a67ef7a2f66d93cd26f.png

image.png.54cf2c5658b994e9dfa7a76a1249aaf7.png

Edited by Susco

43 minutes ago, Logosone said:

There is plenty to be envious about with Germany. Germans can go to shopping malls. The Bundesliga will start again on 15 May. You can even get a massage in Germany.

AFAIK reality is a bit different here.

There`s still no decision if Bundesliga starts in May. And if it starts it will be ghost games. The Shopping Malls are limited to 800 square meters at the moment.

You can get a massage but no hair cut until yesterday.

Most disappointing to me was the shortage of all kind of protective clothes, sanitizers and disinfection materials. Even our staff working in the medical service and in high risk places could not be sufficiently supplied for weeks since mid March until the last week of April.

With a time gap of a few weeks we faced the same problems in the supply chaines as "third world"-Thailand.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

AFAIK reality is a bit different here.

There`s still no decision if Bundesliga starts in May. And if it starts it will be ghost games. The Shopping Malls are limited to 800 square meters at the moment.

You can get a massage but no hair cut until yesterday.

Most disappointing to me was the shortage of all kind of protective clothes, sanitizers and disinfection materials. Even our staff working in the medical service and in high risk places could not be sufficiently supplied for weeks since mid March until the last week of April.

With a time gap of a few weeks we faced the same problems in the supply chaines as "third world"-Thailand.

It's out already, it'll "with high probability" restart on 15 May.

https://www.welt.de/sport/article207740375/Bundesliga-Start-Der-Fussball-soll-ab-dem-15-Mai-wieder-rollen.html

German companies are already producing their own face masks, soon Germany will be swamped with the useless tand.

Edited by Logosone

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Your're right of course. So many different approaches and so many different results in different countries. 

Germany seems to have had many cases, but achieved a relatively low death rate compared to other developed nations. So the German health system can be proud. My best friend's wife was a Krankenschwester for most of her working life but left several years ago, saying the system was becoming too focused on money rather than patients. Well, it certainly seems to have focused on patients when the <deleted> hit the fan. Something to be proud of.

All countries need to share their information and scientists and health academics need to carry out much much more research to really understand all the variables and moderators affecting this pandemic.

Stay safe and enjoy a Paulaner for me!

We're sharing our ventilators with you!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/german-army-donates-60-mobile-ventilators-uk-coronavirus-nhs

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Don't trust German figures. Germans are always better than others. They had their 1st case in Feb. and did nothing until it went rampant.

Sadly true. But looks like there was no need anyway, Sweden and Japan did almost nothing and miniscule mortality rates.

Paulaner?

8 hours ago, The Barmbeker said:

First of all: I am following the soccer (FOOTBALL!!!)- situation closely and this is far from being decided!

There are efforts being taken, to finish the Bundesliga-s eason, but so far it is not sure when or even if at all!

Interesting, as a soccer fan myself it has been very encouraging to see, for the past week, the re-commencement of football training on a pitch opposite my apartment here in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I am looking forward to the restart of the Cambodian Professional League soon. Photo taken about one week ago.

IMG_2429 (1).JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

There is plenty to be envious about with Germany. Germans can go to shopping malls. The Bundesliga will start again on 15 May. You can even get a massage in Germany.

None of those things are possible here in Thailand.

Of course the differing rules in each state are a nonsense, but we see the exact same here in Thailand. Thirty-four businesses still to close in Bangkok, twenty-nine in Chiang Mai, in Pattaya it's different yet again. Some provinces force you to wear a mask, others don't.

But yes, the economic consequences of lockdown are much worse than the virus. Total overreaction by all governments of the world.

Yes all that. 4 weeks lockdown.

nz hit the lead with highest possible lockdown and have now got the virus whipped. Oz also starting to relax. Malaysia starting to relax. All had lockdowns.

US, people generally refusing to listen. Keeps getting worse. UK started herd but quickly found out it wasnt working so still on the rise.

i hope when countries start to open up they dont allow visitors from those countries that think they know better until eventually they get it sorted after failing to lockdown early.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand has opened up more airports for special international flights as of today. Now Krabi, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Chiang Rai, Hua Hin, Surat Thani and Hat Yai have been given permission to handle international flights which are repatriating foreign nationals, or Thai citizens coming home. Scheduled, commercial flights in and out of overseas destinations, remain banned after the aviation authority extended the ban until the end of May.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/more-thai-airports-open-for-special-international-flights

Quarantine still on.

11 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I don't know what you're seeing, but I'm seeing new infections have fallen off a cliff. Herd immunity is probably already kicking in. We'll see in the following weeks.

Fallen of the cliff you need to go to spec savers

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102203/cumulative-coronavirus-cases-in-sweden/

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I am curious to know when flights to Germany will resume?

Also hear that there is still 14 days quarantine on arrival in Germany?

Any updates from Germans appreciated .... Danke!

Flights out to Germany were never stopped. Lufthansa flies 3 times a week. Only for inflight to Thailand passengers are not allowed. Now you get a 14 day quarantine on arrival. But i heard not enforced for everyone. U can check the German embassy webside for updates.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Logosone said:

It's out already, it'll "with high probability" restart on 15 May.

https://www.welt.de/sport/article207740375/Bundesliga-Start-Der-Fussball-soll-ab-dem-15-Mai-wieder-rollen.html

German companies are already producing their own face masks, soon Germany will be swamped with the useless tand.

Well, with high probability yes, but not yet decided as I told.

OK, Germany now produces own (and widely useless) face masks and the shortage of all protective clothes etc. is over or will be in the next few days.

But: Germany and other European countries had weeks more than Aisa to prepare for the coming. They missed the chance and sent medical staff (ours too) into hospitals and nursing homes without ANY protection. Even hand sanitizers wich are much more useful than masks were not available for our medical staff.

Yes, Germany can be proud of their people in the health service doing a great and dangerous job. But the government lost time to react in the early stages of the outbreak, to prepare for the flood of infected persons and to store supplies to fight the pandemia. The relatively low numbers of Corona deaths is due to our health service wich still seems to be in a better shape than in many other developed countries.

BTW: Paulaner is a famous beer in my home town of Munich :-). Cheers.