Under Consideration Stamps

Hi all. I am hoping this should be fairly quick to answer. I got my 1-year extension on my Non Immigrant O Visa by marriage last year at CW and it its due to expire at the end of this July. I remember last year when I first applied for an extension that I got an under consideration stamp and had to go back to CW approximately 30 days after my application to be approved.

I am curious to know but does this happen every year you apply for 1-year extension? I am getting all the required documents together ahead of our visit to CW in mid June (we want go and get it renewed as soon as possible) so hoping we only have to make one visit to the office. 

2 hours ago, mezpow said:

I am curious to know but does this happen every year you apply for 1-year extension?

Yes.

Marriage extension need to be approved by a senior official of certain rank not based at the local offices.

Your wife is only required to attend for the application process, not the revisit to get the permission of stay stamp.

• Like 1

Be sure not to touch the 400K "in the bank" until you get the final stamp, if that is how you qualify for the extension.  Some immigration staff believe the required 2 months seasoning is "not enough," so break their own rules to add an additional month after the fact. 

In rare cases, the under-consideration is not complete after the first month, and you may get another one - so your money could be inaccessible for 2 months after you apply, in addition to the 2 months prior.

• Like 1

hmmm, ok. So in a hypothetical scenario, when my application goes into consideration and I travel to my home country during the summer holiday period, if I want to come back to Thailand after my visa expiry date whilst my application is under consideration, would that be possible?

Edited by mezpow

Ah OK. So if we told immigration that we are travelling over the visa expiry period would the IO be able set the reporting back date to after the visa end date without invalidating my extension application?

1 minute ago, mezpow said:

Ah OK. So if we told immigration that we are travelling over the visa expiry period would the IO be able set the reporting back date to after the visa end date without invalidating my extension application?

No. You'd have to return before your permission of stay expires, otherwise you'd have to start from scratch again. You don't have a valid Visa, you have an extension (permit) of your permission of stay.

If your current permission of stay expires for example 25th July and you re-entered on 28th July you'd receive a 30 day Visa exempt entry stamp.

If your extension and your annual holiday plans coincide, then apply for a new Non O single entry Visa based on marriage whilst in your home Country. On entry you'll be granted permission of stay until October, then apply for an annual extension.

You have therefore moved the renewal date of your extension to October each year so it doesn't conflict with your annual holiday plans in July.

• Like 1

OK. So final scenario, if I was apply for my extension on 15th June, 45 days before my visa expiry at CW and let's say I want to travel on 20th June and arrive back on 25th July with rentry permit, would IO be flexible to set my reporting date accordingly? This would be before my visa expiry date.

Edited by mezpow

10 minutes ago, mezpow said:

OK. So final scenario, if I was apply for my extension on 15th June, 45 days before my visa expiry at CW and let's say I want to travel on 20th June and arrive back on 25th July with rentry permit, would IO be flexible to set my reporting date accordingly? This would be before my visa expiry date.

If you applied on the 15th of June your report back date for CW would be the 14th or 15th of July. Your new extension would be stamped in your passport on that day. And then you would need to apply for a re-entry permit for your trip.

Your not applying to extend your Visa. Visas cannot be extended.

Your applying to extend your permission of stay.

You can apply for a re-entry permit on the same day you submit your application.

It will only be dated to the current date of your permission of stay stamp. (late July).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mezpow said:

So the immigration office won't be flexible on their reporting back date.

What is wrong with a report back date of July 15th.

You wrote that you wanted to travel on the 20th. You would have your new one year extension by then.

If the renewal of your extension of stay coincides with your annual holiday plans and is an issue, then you either need to change the date of your holidays, or change the renewal date of your extension.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What is wrong with a report back date of July 15th.

You wrote that you wanted to travel on the 20th. You would have your new one year extension by then.

Apologies if my message was not written clearly. What I was trying to say was if I was apply for my permission to stay on the 15th June and then travel on 20th June and I then wanted to arrive back to Thailand on say the 25th July, would the IO be able to issue me a reporting date beyond "the 30 day consideration" with a re-entry permit? FYI my permission to stay is currently set to the 31st July.

Also would I be right in assuming that my current re-entry permit I have that stamped would become invalid after my application for permission to stay is made?

Edited by mezpow

Two different re-entry permits:

• One for the "under consideration" period, which would allow you to return before that date (30 days after application)
  • A 2nd for the actual annual-extension stamp (single or multiple-entry), which is good through that period

No one can tell you whether an IO would give you *more* than 30-days "under consideration".  But, it is likely an agent with a fat-envelope could arrange it, at many officies.  Don't expect any favors for "free" from that crew.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

One for the "under consideration" period, which would allow you to return before that date (30 days after application)

Chaeng Wattana immigration starts the under consideration period from the date of application.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mezpow said:

Apologies if my message was not written clearly. What I was trying to say was if I was apply for my permission to stay on the 15th June and then travel on 20th June and I then wanted to arrive back to Thailand on say the 25th July, would the IO be able to issue me a reporting date beyond "the 30 day consideration" with a re-entry permit? FYI my permission to stay is currently set to the 31st July.

I doubt that immigration would give you until July 25th for the report back date,

18 minutes ago, mezpow said:

Also would I be right in assuming that my current re-entry permit I have that stamped would become invalid after my application for permission to stay is made?

You re-entry permit would be valid to the date your current extension ends. When you get your new extension stamp it would become invalid.

• Thanks 1

If your current permission of stay is dated until 30th July and you already have a re-entry permit, that should also be dated until 30th July.

If you applied early on 15th June and get a report back date of 15th July, but plan on being out of the Country between 20th June to 25th July, provided you discussed your holiday plan with the IO, it would probably be OK.

The under consideration stamp is for your new application July 31st 2020 - July 30th 2021.

It does not affect your current permission of stay, or current validity of your re-entry permit provided you return on a date agreed with the IO.

When returning on July 25th, you will only be granted permission of stay until 30th July. 25th and 26th are weekend days. 28th is a public holiday. That leaves the 27th and 29th to revisit your office.

I had plans to revisit family in the UK this July, but due to the current situation, there are to many if, buts and maybe's on restrictions or conditions of re-entry at the moment. You should consider these possible issues also.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt that immigration would give you until July 25th for the report back date,

You re-entry permit would be valid to the date your current extension ends. When you get your new extension stamp it would become invalid.

OK great and because I would be able to apply for my new re-entry permit at the same time as my extension stamp, I should be able to collect two stamps at the IO when I report back on the under consideration stamp date?

So based on all the information, from my understanding it would be better/more wise to amend my travel plans over the holiday period to after I got my permission to stay (hopefully!), as I would be able to then travel freely as I wish and I would have both my re-entry and extension of stay.

(i.e. I apply for extension of stay on 15th June and hopefully get a consideration stamp report date for 15th July after which I get hopefully both my extension of stay and reentry permit for the year).

Apologies for all the questions and everyone having to spell it out for me, I am still fairly new to this somewhat complex/confusing process.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I had plans to revisit family in the UK this July, but due to the current situation, there are to many if, buts and maybe's on restrictions or conditions of re-entry at the moment. You should consider these possible issues also.

yes for this year unfortunately I am in same boat. I am just trying to prepare myself for the following year. I like to plan in advance as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, mezpow said:

So based on all the information, from my understanding it would be better/more wise to amend my travel plans over the holiday period to after I got my permission to stay (hopefully!), as I would be able to then travel freely as I wish and I would have both my re-entry and extension of stay.

(i.e. I apply for extension of stay on 15th June and hopefully get a consideration stamp report date for 15th July after which I get hopefully both my extension of stay and reentry permit for the year).

Given the current situation I would say it's wise to delay your holiday plans this year.

When you go to collect your new permission of stay stamp (July 31st - July 30th 2021) then apply for a new re-entry permit, which will be valid until July 30th 2021.

The single re-entry is 1,000 baht.

The multiple re-entry is 3,800 baht.

• Thanks 1