Khrung Thai Bank Internet Banking

I am considering registering a Khrung Thai Bank account for personal access via Internet.

Their website has an on-line Registration facility but, I am highly suspicious because the application data asks

for the applicants Debit Card detaills AND PIN NUMBER!

Also, their system of access, once established, appears to be through a bank agent for each transaction and not by the applicant accessing their own account direct.

Any advice please?

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.

You started a thread yesterday scaremongering about maybe no outward remttances, which was rightly locked, now today you are saying you are 'highly' suspicious of Krung Thai bank.  Jeez.

Edited by Keyser Soze666

26 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

You started a thread yesterday scaremongering about maybe no outward remttances, which was rightly locked, now today you are saying you are 'highly' suspicious of Krung Thai bank.  Jeez.

Well, seeing as I was personally the victim of ATM fraud with a Krung Thai debit card some time ago, I think that the OP has every right to be concerned!

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Well, seeing as I was personally the victim of ATM fraud with a Krung Thai debit card some time ago, I think that the OP has every right to be concerned!

Haha! You sure it wasn't your wife that took the money?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I was not scaremongering other than I opined that the current bar on retail banks accepting Outward Remittances might also affect Inward Remittances. I was at the bank branch in question with my wife and another foreigner with his Thai wife who wanted to send an OR was told the same thing. My wife then went to see the manager who confirmed a temporary bar on ORs. When asked if main branches would accept ORs he told her no. If TV members are still get IRs then that is not a problem. My query addressed ORs and was locked for no good reason.

As to Khrung Thai Bank, I hold them in high regards having always received good service with a smile and am not criticising them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I was not scaremongering other than I opined that the current bar on retail banks accepting Outward Remittances might also affect Inward Remittances. I was at the bank branch in question with my wife and another foreigner with his Thai wife who wanted to send an OR was told the same thing. My wife then went to see the manager who confirmed a temporary bar on ORs. When asked if main branches would accept ORs he told her no. If TV members are still get IRs then that is not a problem. My query addressed ORs and was locked for no good reason.

As to Khrung Thai Bank, I hold them in high regards having always received good service with a smile and am not criticising them.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Visit branch or use ATM - you will still have to provide the same information I suspect.  How else can they be sure you are the card owner?  Obviously you would not provide such information to an email but this is a secure web site and as said you can use an ATM or visit branch if have concerns.

Thanks.

I note that it is a 'secure' website but the mantra to the customer of any retail bank is that they will never, at any time, ask for your PIN and that you should never provide it to any one including bank officials. Of course, if the application is done via a Branch or an ATM the PIN is input via a keyboard.

Safer, from my point of view, to go to the bank.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

That same pin number will be requested when using the facility for ANY transaction, just like an ATM would require.

Normal practice, dont worry ????????

Most or every online payment with credit card requires me to enter the CVV/CVC code (which I scratched off from the back of the physical card).

No code no payment.

If you don't trust a website/business you have to step back.

• Like 1

The KTB online banking website and app are truly awful and horrible to use.

I get paid into KTB from work but transfer it straight out to my K Bank account which has a great and simple app. I wouldn't setup anything online with KTB. 

• Like 1

Been using KTB online banking for 3 years with absolutely no issues. It lets me do everything I want. I particularly like the SMS i get when a debit or credit is posted on my account within seconds. I had to visit the branch to have internet banking set up, as well as opening the account originally.

I have heard good things about K Bank but I only have a choice of 3 banks locally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thanks.

I note that it is a 'secure' website but the mantra to the customer of any retail bank is that they will never, at any time, ask for your PIN and that you should never provide it to any one including bank officials. Of course, if the application is done via a Branch or an ATM the PIN is input via a keyboard.

Safer, from my point of view, to go to the bank.

The mantra of all banks, worldwide is that they will never ask your for your PIN by phone or by email.

However you are applying for online banking through their official secure website and I don't understand why you're so reticent about entering details that they need to know in order satisfy themselves that it really is you, the account holder that is applying. 

So why do you think there's a problem with this?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The mantra of all banks, worldwide is that they will never ask your for your PIN by phone or by email.

However you are applying for online banking through their official secure website and I don't understand why you're so reticent about entering details that they need to know in order satisfy themselves that it really is you, the account holder that is applying. 

So why do you think there's a problem with this?

With so much 'phishing' out there how do I determine if the website (even displaying the 'padlock' key) is the official site? Is there a simple way to verify that it is genuine?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

With so much 'phishing' out there how do I determine if the website (even displaying the 'padlock' key) is the official site? Is there a simple way to verify that it is genuine?

If the address of the home page of the site you visited is: https://krungthai.com then it's genuine. Phishers can create authentic looking websites, but they cannot fake the address. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If the address of the home page of the site you visited is: https://krungthai.com then it's genuine. Phishers can create authentic looking websites, but they cannot fake the address. 

Actually that is not the website for online banking - but you can get here from there.

https://www.ktbnetbank.com/consumer/

49 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thank you for that. I learn something new everyday. Now, if only I could remember my name......????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Most or every online payment with credit card requires me to enter the CVV/CVC code (which I scratched off from the back of the physical card).

No code no payment.

If you don't trust a website/business you have to step back.

You have totally confused online purchase, with "Internet banking" NOT the same thing and a credit card would have no baring on "internet banking" or accessing it. The OP title was "Internet Banking" and he specifically states entering to set it up, again, not the same as online purchases.

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

That same pin number will be requested when using the facility for ANY transaction, just like an ATM would require.

Normal practice, dont worry ????????

Disagree.  I use internet banking with a handful of UK banks and one Thai Bank and none of them ever ask for my ATM PIN No as any part of the process.

51 minutes ago, treetops said:

Disagree.  I use internet banking with a handful of UK banks and one Thai Bank and none of them ever ask for my ATM PIN No as any part of the process.

That has NOTHING to do with the OP and "setting up" for internet banking or app use in Thailand

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

That has NOTHING to do with the OP and "setting up" for internet banking or app use in Thailand

Of course it has to do with the OP.

He never mentioned the app so I don't know why you mention it (where I agree the PIN is needed) but internet banking via the website.  Setting it up is part of the process and one in which I've never needed my PIN number.  He is right to be wary, albeit I have not used Khrung Thai Bank.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Of course it has to do with the OP.

He never mentioned the app so I don't know why you mention it (where I agree the PIN is needed) but internet banking via the website.  Setting it up is part of the process and one in which I've never needed my PIN number.  He is right to be wary, albeit I have not used Khrung Thai Bank.

It states internet banking, that can be done by either method which includes the app.

It has nothing to do with what happens in your "handful of uk banks" ! 

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

It states internet banking, that can be done by either method which includes the app.

It has nothing to do with what happens in your "handful of uk banks" ! 

From the OP:

Their website has an on-line Registration facility . . .

Note:  Not the App, but the website.  My Thai bank, which you conveniently disregarded, did not ask for my card PIN number as part of the registration process and I still think he's right to be wary.  YMMV.

Edited by treetops

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You have totally confused online purchase

I just wanted to give an example where you have to enter all relevant keys to do business.

The difference to setup internet banking is that you do that with arbitrary vendors and not with your bank.

If one doesn't even trust his bank website, better stay away from online banking/payment at all.

• Like 1

While on the topic of Krungthai bank I do have a beef with them. I opened a savings account with them early last year and naturally assumed I would get interest as I have with savings accs at other Thai banks down the years. I noticed a few months ago that I haven't had a Satang from them, so when I asked them why they come out with some nonsense about it's not that type of acc and it depends on how you opened the acc at the branch on the day, or some nonsense like that.

So a 'savings' acc with no interest. Looking at another account I have I would have received around Bt4,000 in interest. Joke.

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

While on the topic of Krungthai bank I do have a beef with them. I opened a savings account with them early last year and naturally assumed I would get interest as I have with savings accs at other Thai banks down the years. I noticed a few months ago that I haven't had a Satang from them, so when I asked them why they come out with some nonsense about it's not that type of acc and it depends on how you opened the acc at the branch on the day, or some nonsense like that.

So a 'savings' acc with no interest. Looking at another account I have I would have received around Bt4,000 in interest. Joke.

A common scam by this bank. 

I tried to get interest for a few years and got BS from various employees. 

I took it to a former minister of finance and quickly got interest, with they assistant manager pleading not to ask for 10 years back payment or she would go to jail. They stole money from 20 foreign colleagues too. 

Phone the headquarters in Bangkok, write an email and you will get interest. 

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I took it to a former minister of finance and quickly got interest, with they assistant manager pleading not to ask for 10 years back payment or she would go to jail. They stole money from 20 foreign colleagues too. 

Ok, I think I will. I asked the woman 'so why have I got money with you' to which I was met with a mumbled response.

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Got straight onto it, what do ya think?

Dear Sirs,

Savings Account Number: 

I write to you as an unhappy new customer of your bank.

I opened a savings account at a main branch of KTB back in August 2018. I did not ask about any interest at the time as I fully assumed that I would receive interest 1 or 2 times a year, as I opened a savings account. I have savings account with other Thai banks and have always received interest. This is the first time I have not received interest from a Thai savings account.

I have kept a balance of at least *** Baht in the account since it was opened, and I am now asking myself why keep this money with KTB with no interest accrued, when i can move these funds to another one of my Thai accounts and receive interest??

I called KTB a month or so ago and asked why I haven't received any interest on this account, the answer I received was no at all satisfactory, I was informed something about I did not open the correct account, or it depend on what the branch say when I open the account? I am sorry, but these answers are weak and not at all satisfactory.

On a savings account I expect interest. If I am not to receive back dated interest on this account and any future interest, I will have little choice but to consider my banking loyalties towards KTB. I hope you can understand my point of view

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,