I want a cat. Are they going to evict my foreign big bucks?

The OP may have a good bargaining position, given landlords are strapped for tenants at present, and the property market in Thailand with coronavirus has fallen off a cliff.

Having said that, he has not got a leg to stand on if the owner or condo management deem the cat is unacceptable.

Suggest getting a ginger cat, they are killers. Mosquitoes, cockroaches and spiders will not be seen in the condo again.

15 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

If all people in this place do not follow rules then it will be a total chaos and one day some might fly off a balcony because someone's music is too loud.

Anyone who plays their music too loud, deserves to go flying off the balcony together with their stereo and, if necessary, their partner (for allowing it).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, n00dle said:

Cats do not smell. 

Dirty litterboxes smell.

Personally I would never keep a cat indoors, but many do without smells.

Two litter trays plus daily scooping and you won't even know the cat is in the house.  It's laziness that causes the smell.

It seems to me that you will be battling their pride and for that, they will dig their heels in.

After reading your rant, you know, the one where you bemoan people who do not follow the rules, regulations, guidelines, I wonder about just how much conflict you regularly stagger into. 

I am just glad you don't live near us.

Good luck.

• Sad 1

OP, have you thought about getting a silicone sex doll?  Apparently (so I hear!), they can make good company, don't smell, don't need food or milk etc.  I'm sure your rental contract doesn't prohibit sex dolls....

• Like 1

I love animals especially cats. I currently have 2 in Bangkok and 6 in Rayong. Latter have free run of the walled garden from time to time, former let out during the day but inside at night. Question is what sort of a life will your lone cat have in a restricted apartment ? Miserable, I would suggest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The OP may have a good bargaining position, given landlords are strapped for tenants at present, and the property market in Thailand with coronavirus has fallen off a cliff.

Having said that, he has not got a leg to stand on if the owner or condo management deem the cat is unacceptable.

Suggest getting a ginger cat, they are killers. Mosquitoes, cockroaches and spiders will not be seen in the condo again.

I suggest that he forgets it and buys a toy stuffed animal. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, simon43 said:

OP, have you thought about getting a silicone sex doll?  Apparently (so I hear!), they can make good company, don't smell, don't need food or milk etc.  I'm sure your rental contract doesn't prohibit sex dolls....

and only the high end ones need a littler tray. Mind you, apparently, although I have never experienced one, (Yet) the cleaning can be a bit of as drag, lots of scrubbing with  Dettol. 

Edited by Pilotman

17 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Talking of clams, have you considered a clam as a pet.  You could name him Morris and place him in a fish bowl.  There's not all the associated problems you get with cats and they're quiet.  

Yes. I found one of the rare purring clams.

I don't see all the points of OP. This is merely a civil matter between OP and a landlord. Completely irrelevant to enforcing the law. If a contract says you can't have a pet, it means you can't have a pet. If you choose to breach the contract, your landlord has every right to evict you and possibly refuse to return the deposit.

15 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Great idea, by all means go ahead and get the cat, better still, get a few cats and please come back and share when they evict your sorry butt to the footpath. You really have a serious attitude problem!

I have been accused of having an attitude all my life, I do admit I have an attitude, but it is not a problem, show any weakness, and people will always take advantage of you I always stick up for myself and have never been in any serious trouble.

If I wanted to have a cat in my rented apartment, then I would have one despite the rules, but I would be prepared to move out if the Landlord found out.

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Once a cat learns to use a littler box (and It's kept clean), they do not pxxs and sxit everywhere. You might have to clean up a hairball sometimes, but cats are very clean animals.

IMO, cats are the most beautiful creatures on earth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newatthis said:

Anyone who plays their music too loud, deserves to go flying off the balcony together with their stereo and, if necessary, their partner (for allowing it).

Nothing wrong with breaking rules, but never to the detriment of ordinary working class people, and that is what playing loud music is.

That's not a matter for the police, but as so many members already wrote - if you rent the place you might get evicted. If you own the place - the condo management can act against you by imposing fines and disconnecting water supply as well as take you to civil court. 

36 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been accused of having an attitude all my life, I do admit I have an attitude, but it is not a problem, show any weakness, and people will always take advantage of you I always stick up for myself and have never been in any serious trouble.

If I wanted to have a cat in my rented apartment, then I would have one despite the rules, but I would be prepared to move out if the Landlord found out.

Are you a pygmy, a ringtail or a bushy tail? ????

Lots of people have stay in condos with cats in Thailand. And nice places. I know 2 in Bangkok. One on the ground floor and one on the first with some clambering posts from the garden below so that the cat can get up and in through the window.

Every condo does not allow cats and in every condo there are cats. Just don't bring it outside and you'll be fine. Maybe not the best if your condo has a common pool and everybody can see what's on your balcony.

I may add, if you are considering adopting a cat, take a cat with some conditions for example cats with immuno-deficiency syndrome cannot stay with other cats and live a great life in small flats. You can adopt also cats with impaired sight, or other issues. You'll be surprised of how amazing they can be.