China, South Korea to be removed from Thai list of Covid hotspots

webfact

8 minutes ago, scandream said:

The main argument in all decisions regarding Covid-19 is based on money. And since the chinese tourists are not to be underestimated for Thailand, they will certainly be offered the opportunity to be the first to enter Thailand regardless of all dangers. I am sure that the beaches will open at the same time when the borders are opened to make the stay tasty for the Chinese friends. ????

Scientists believe the coronavirus pandemic could have started as early as October and participants at the Military World Games, held in Wuhan that month, could have unwittingly helped transmit the lethal virus around the world.

Wonder what the real death figure is in Thailand from Whu Flu

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

What number of Thais benefit from Chinese money compared to western money 5-10 years ago?

Even now westerners support a lot of Thai people and small businesses 

I know - without the western tourists all water buffaloes would be dead already ???? I think many sex tourists still have the feeling that without their payment for sex services Thailand still would be a very poor country. I don't think so. Perhaps it is more the case that the bad image that Thailand has/had in this regard kept many "normal" tourists away. 

19 hours ago, Selatan said:

Unfortunately for China-hating farangs like you, Thailand is highly dependent on tourism. Thailand would definitely seek to be the first destination to be allowed for the Chinese to visit in the coming months. China would definitely try to help Thailand. I wouldn't be surprised if those countries that badmouthed China, such as Australia and the US would be the countries on long term bans. That's probably something you would be happy about.

Don't worry about the Western countries. Germany too has asked for an independent investigation and that very much means the European Union will come up on the side of the West. Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia want to become the export hub for those Western countries that are pulling out of the PRC. Keep an eye on Foxcomm what they will do in the next 60 - 90 days. This is not about the Western World but about the free world and that would include also Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, the EU, US, Canada, New Zealand and the Thai's are not stupid as Thailand only exports 29 billion of goods to China which is just 11% of total trade and Thailand imported 53 billion USD from China.

I don't think anyone in the world would want to fly to China for a holiday and from friends in Singapore, the Chinese will do this year domestic travel.

The reason why Anutin puts Chinese on the list is to allow the Thai hospitality industry to recover and as for South Korea, Korean Air announced yesterday but the airline announced only : Washington, D.C., Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Frankfurt, Singapore, Beijing and Kuala Lumpur. Why Thailand is not on the list might have something to do when Thailand and Japan announced to ban South Koreans over night, so no Bangkok and Tokyo on the list currently and the Koreans will pay that back to Thailand so the Koreans will be in a very small number but a large number will go to Vietnam. Soon 1 Dollar tours will be allowed again and then the Chinese will also come again but my guess next year, this year its a lot about domestic travel and from friends that run several travel publications all airlines cancelled advertising for this year and they have been advertising for 25 years already and even THAI Airways cancelled until 4th quarter. 

• Like 2

As a US passport holder who works in South Korea, I am wondering if, when foreigners are permitted entry again, I will be allowed back. I have not been in the United States since July 2019. I doubt there will be coherent policy statement. 

3 minutes ago, MobileContent said:

Don't worry about the Western countries. Germany too has asked for an independent investigation and that very much means the European Union will come up on the side of the West. Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia want to become the export hub for those Western countries that are pulling out of the PRC. Keep an eye on Foxcomm what they will do in the next 60 - 90 days. This is not about the Western World but about the free world and that would include also Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, the EU, US, Canada, New Zealand and the Thai's are not stupid as Thailand only exports 29 billion of goods to China which is just 11% of total trade and Thailand imported 53 billion USD from China.

I don't think anyone in the world would want to fly to China for a holiday and from friends in Singapore, the Chinese will do this year domestic travel.

The reason why Anutin puts Chinese on the list is to allow the Thai hospitality industry to recover and as for South Korea, Korean Air announced yesterday but the airline announced only : Washington, D.C., Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Frankfurt, Singapore, Beijing and Kuala Lumpur. Why Thailand is not on the list might have something to do when Thailand and Japan announced to ban South Koreans over night, so no Bangkok and Tokyo on the list currently and the Koreans will pay that back to Thailand so the Koreans will be in a very small number but a large number will go to Vietnam. Soon 1 Dollar tours will be allowed again and then the Chinese will also come again but my guess next year, this year its a lot about domestic travel and from friends that run several travel publications all airlines cancelled advertising for this year and they have been advertising for 25 years already and even THAI Airways cancelled until 4th quarter. 

The rest of the world needs to put the CCP's balls to the fire, but it will only work if all of the industrialized nations China has screwed over the years work in concert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I guess Thailand will be one those countries who won't be asking for an independent investigation into the exact origins of the coronavirus. Who cares about the deaths, and that the whole world economy is crashing - it will pick up again and the rich will recoup what they lost. It will mostly be the poor who suffer. And until the next corona virus (2003, 2019, 20??) from China happens, let's just cross our fingers and hope it doesn't happen again, right? Positive thinking. 

China will never allow her sovereignty to be intimidated by any countries that have a political agenda for investigation. It’s their interest for the best medical minds to investigate but through the office of WHO. Thailand will also benefit from the thorough investigation that will benefit the world to prepare for the next pandemic. The next pandemic will come. It is not who and how but when. Pandemic does not recognize borders. It’s not positive thinking but thinking positive how to respond to the next pandemic.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

China will never allow her sovereignty to be intimidated by any countries that have a political agenda for investigation. It’s their interest for the best medical minds to investigate but through the office of WHO. Thailand will also benefit from the thorough investigation that will benefit the world to prepare for the next pandemic. The next pandemic will come. It is not who and how but when. Pandemic does not recognize borders. It’s not positive thinking but thinking positive how to respond to the next pandemic.    

https://nypost.com/2020/05/01/china-refuses-to-allow-who-to-join-coronavirus-investigation/

https://112.international/society/china-denied-access-to-coronavirus-investigation-by-who-51003.html

https://news.yahoo.com/china-refuses-allow-reps-investigate-120807737.html

So if the WHO aren't even allowed to help investigate the origins, who can? (excuse the pun)

"When asked if China has a good reason for WHO’s refusal, Dr. Galea replied: “From our point of view, no.”

And now back to you. 

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/01/china-refuses-to-allow-who-to-join-coronavirus-investigation/

https://112.international/society/china-denied-access-to-coronavirus-investigation-by-who-51003.html

https://news.yahoo.com/china-refuses-allow-reps-investigate-120807737.html

So if the WHO aren't even allowed to help investigate the origins, who can? (excuse the pun)

"When asked if China has a good reason for WHO’s refusal, Dr. Galea replied: “From our point of view, no.”

And now back to you. 

Delighted to have a chance to update you on the latest official position on the 7 May 2020.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3083372/china-backs-who-investigating-origin-covid-19-hits-out-us

41 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

The rest of the world needs to put the CCP's balls to the fire, but it will only work if all of the industrialized nations China has screwed over the years work in concert

great idea, wishful thinking.... unfortunately greed???? will never let it happen

Maybe this has something to do with it (quote from Culture Trip):-

"What are considered modern-day Thai people today actually emigrated from China into Thailand a long time ago. Between the 8th and 10th centuries, the Tai people — that’s descendants of those who spoke a common Tai language — migrated from China down throughout Southeast Asia, with many settling in Thailand. Initially based in the north of the country, they eventually spread further south, settling in the central plains of the country. Today, those descended from the initial Tai migrants make up the vast majority of the Thai population, but it’s the second largest group who have been perhaps the most influential — the Thai-Chinese ethnic group. It wasn’t just the numbers of Thai-Chinese that grew in Thailand, but the influence of this group, too. Many businesses and industries began to be dominated by Thai-Chinese. As the 19th century went on, the Thai-Chinese controlled much of the shipping sector, and wielded significant power when it came to exports, having a large hand in the sugar, fish, rice and rubber industries. This influence only grew further, and the mid-20th century saw 50 Thai-Chinese families control between 80-90% of the overall market capitalisation of the (Thai) economy"

These Thai-Chinese business families would probably have been Nationalists and to this day may still have links with Taiwan (Formosa) and NOT Communist China.  I believe the Shinawatra Family (Lanna) are an example. This could explain the modern recent strong links with China, albeit the Communist mainland. 

28 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Delighted to have a chance to update you on the latest official position on the 7 May 2020.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3083372/china-backs-who-investigating-origin-covid-19-hits-out-us

That's great news if it materialises. I look forward to an earnestly thorough and transparent investigation. Maybe the CCP censors and firewall can be lifted as China and the world watch the investigation take place. 

And the fact they're talking about allowing it to happen shows what international pressure for an investigation is doing. If you got nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. So let's keep pushing for the investigation, right? 

Edited by rkidlad

1 hour ago, Magenta408 said:

Will the beaches in Pattaya be open for these high flying tourists?

I guess so. I could not imagine Chinese tourists going to Koh Larn when the beaches are closed. Or all the speedboats transporting them, etc. Sure - some here might wish they just get a visa for 2 weeks and have to spend 2 weeks in quarantine after arrival ????

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The minister reassured that Thailand has effective measures to receive foreign passengers and said there was no need to be worried about it.

The fact that Anutin said it means the Thais really need to worry about it, especially the Chinese, whose statistics are very questionable. (Oh wait if there is a reported case in China they lock them in their home and throw away the key. No worries, come on in China)

6 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Their Thai Chinese masters have told them to expedite the Chinese return

The avarice is extraordinary

https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/thailands-five-families-poised-to-profit-on-the-plague/?fbclid=IwAR33ivuOd5kAqn-XyuLbk9wZO592sK72YZlNcHYufnO3oIU4J9ScNqpHr80

The 700M investment into the trough is paying dividends. I don't think I've seen anything so brazen before.

Edited by DrTuner

3 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Remember this in the election year of your home country. I will look for a candidate that has an agenda to put China on it's knees and give CCP a headshot.

Elections, the thing CCP fears most. Even foreign ones.

Edited by DrTuner

4 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

What number of Thais benefit from Chinese money compared to western money 5-10 years ago?

Even now westerners support a lot of Thai people and small businesses 

the chinese love their package tours.  same as their domestic tours, everything is pre-planned, organized, handled.  they just go along for the ride.  it's easy, it's comfortable, it's convenient.  the tourists themselves have no say in where their rmb's flow.

but outside of the tour package, they do spend money.  lots of money.  they love their duty free shopping.  you always see them at the boarding gate with a dozen bottles of liquor, half a dozen cartons of marlboro, and assorted perfumes, trying to get other passengers to carry their overage through customs.

billions of baht spent on duty-free goods vs. millions at noodle stands.  this is where the decision will be made.

• Like 2

Funny I have many friends I made while working in China, and they all use the company internet to get there email out with out going through Communist security, and they say the death rate is still incredible, and in fact it can take to to 3 days for deceased bodies to be picked up, now I am not sure if this is true or not, but are the Thai people ready to take this risk just so the elite cate keep their pockets full, this will turn out worse than the conflict with Issan during the protest of a few years ago

51 minutes ago, tezzainoz said:

Funny I have many friends I made while working in China, and they all use the company internet to get there email out with out going through Communist security, and they say the death rate is still incredible, and in fact it can take to to 3 days for deceased bodies to be picked up, now I am not sure if this is true or not, but are the Thai people ready to take this risk just so the elite cate keep their pockets full, this will turn out worse than the conflict with Issan during the protest of a few years ago

where are they located?

i'll see if i know anyone nearby, and ask for an update.

1 hour ago, tezzainoz said:

That's their.

Anyways, in India people are piling bodies up in front of the hospitals.  Granted, they do that at the best of times at night but the problem here is there are so many now.

They may run out of firewood for funeral pyres before this is all said and done.  It's countries like this that it's going to obliterate if it gets out of control.  

As I type this news stories of protests in India about the gas leak they had.  If anyone has COVID in that group there's going to be a big problem in two weeks.  

On 5/8/2020 at 3:46 AM, JensenZ said:

This is absolutely brilliant. They destroyed the economy by shutting it down, now they want to allow Chinese visitors back in. Of course they believe Chinese statistics on the infection rate there. Nevermind that no one else in the world believes the nonsense the Chinese come out with, but the PM of Thailand does.

Yes, let them all in and start all over again. Let's get the 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves underway asap. Then we can stay on strict lockdown for another year or so. 

Not just the Chinese... fears of a (hardly unexpected) second wave popping up in Seoul

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised that Thailand reacted as it did when the severity of the looming pandemic emerged.  Instead of the usual "head in the sand" approach, they stepped in and closed all points of entry.  There have been very few flights landing at Swampy, and those that do are mostly freight only.  Flights out are very largely confined to flying east with only one or two a day flying west.  This has been in effect for weeks, and even those few recent repatriation flights for Thai's coming home are on condition that 14 days isolation are complied with. I was a bit cynical in that this action effectively cut off all flights from Thailand's Chinese tourist lifeblood.  Then a month later all the good work is likely to be undone when TAT announce that specifically China and South Korea are being actively encouraged to get back to Thailand asap.  A lot of good undone in an instant. 

7 hours ago, tezzainoz said:

they say the death rate is still incredible, and in fact it can take to to 3 days for deceased bodies to be picked up,

Same in Thailand but everybody stays silent.