China, South Korea to be removed from Thai list of Covid hotspots

webfact

44 minutes ago, Selatan said:

There are plenty of tourist attractions in China for the Chinese to enjoy, totally no need for them to take the risk to go anywhere outside China for the next 12 to 18 months.

Make that for the next 12 to 18 decades and all good. Wall 'em in.

Tourism to China is good, as long as it's one way only. Once you're in, no going out. The world needs a black hole. All the CCP trolls can line up at the border already.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Govt considering proposal to remove China, South Korea from high-risk countries

By The Nation

800_61c029b576b9ac5.jpg?v=1588917720

China and South Korea are likely to be taken off the list of countries at high risk for Covid-19 and the Public Health Ministry has assured people that the move will not pose any threat to Thailand.

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul said the proposal came from several academics.

On May 7, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration agreed with the proposal.

The news brought criticisms online with netizens worrying whether such a decision could put public health in Thailand in jeopardy.

Anutin said the academic commission had considered every aspect and outcome of removing China and South Korea from the list of countries at high risk for Covid-19.

The minister reassured that Thailand has effective measures to receive foreign passengers and said there was no need to be worried about it.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387509

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-08

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

So they block off the beaches to keep people from Bangkok away when there hasn't been a new case there in days, but it'll be fine for Chinese and Koreans to come and visit as their case number are down in single figures. Do they dislike their own people so much?

shirley, you realize the chinesers won't be allowed back in as tourists for several more months!  they won't be returning while residents are still under restrictive orders.

by that time the beaches will be open, and domestic travel restrictions will have been dropped, and the expats will be permitted to buy their beloved booze once again........

and there will be a testing regime for entering AND departing travelers in order to avoid 14-day quarantines at either end.

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

Anutin said the academic commission had considered every aspect and outcome of removing China and South Korea from the list of countries at high risk for Covid-19

Must be his 8th glass of red wine.......

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

This is absolutely brilliant. They destroyed the economy by shutting it down, now they want to allow Chinese visitors back in. Of course they believe Chinese statistics on the infection rate there. Nevermind that no one else in the world believes the nonsense the Chinese come out with, but the PM of Thailand does.

Yes, let them all in and start all over again. Let's get the 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves underway asap. Then we can stay on strict lockdown for another year or so. 

Don't worry - the worse, the better. Thailand will harm itself even quicker. Why do you care?

• Like 1

I wonder how good there liaison with South Korea is ......

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/coronavirus-south-korea-bracing-for-inevitable-second-wave

but who cares, as this list was only set up in the first place for the tourists. Should they also have a list for all the different districts in thailand, maybe put Bangkok and Phuket on that list.

36 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Make that for the next 12 to 18 decades and all good. Wall 'em in.

Tourism to China is good, as long as it's one way only. Once you're in, no going out. The world needs a black hole. All the CCP trolls can line up at the border already.

Unfortunately for China-hating farangs like you, Thailand is highly dependent on tourism. Thailand would definitely seek to be the first destination to be allowed for the Chinese to visit in the coming months. China would definitely try to help Thailand. I wouldn't be surprised if those countries that badmouthed China, such as Australia and the US would be the countries on long term bans. That's probably something you would be happy about.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Georgie65 said:

Fair Warning!!! If I see any Chinese tour buses anytime soon in Pattaya, I will be calling a good friend of mine who works in US State Department back home in WAshington, DC. And I will let him, and the rest of the world know just how corrupt, incompetent and money hungry the Thai Government really is!  #Americafirst2020  #Chinapurge2020

Wow !!!

10 hours ago, Blumpie said:

None of them are going to be allowed to come, LOL.

Their governments have far more sense than letting them out and destroying their economies.  

I know a couple of Chinese teachers, both professors who are still in Thailand since the China lockdown. They have been teaching students online. Neither of them want to return as they have been advised it is likely it will be sometime before they are allowed out. The problem is they are held to ransom for salaries and pension qualifications.

The Chinese want their economy off and running again and that won't happen by letting their citizens spend their money abroad anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i read that chinese domestic tourism is now at about 40% of the same volume last year at this time.  no idea if their numbers are as reliable as TAT's, but the tourist sites are open.  i have a friend here on hainan that owns a hotel, all 30 rooms full, mostly with visitors from the mainland.

problem with sichuan and all those sights is that many are outdoors in the mountains and involve walking to the scenery.  chinese seem to prefer sights with minimal exertion reached by bus.  also.....NO duty free shopping!

here in hainan it's back to normal.  the tea shops are full of teenagers draped over each other sharing cellphone videos, sharing ipoid earpieces listening to music together, no masks.

sometimes.....yucky.  this is land of the thong (flip flops for us 'merkans).  in a restaurant, shoes immediately come off, feet folded up on the chair, or perhaps on the table.  regular joes?  it's hot and humid!  shirts rolled up to the manboobs exposing bulging belly.  one pants leg rolled up.  (why only one?)  betelnut is traditional here, even for women in some of the villages.  now that the virus is "gone", back to spitting red juice on the sidewalks, hocking and spewing phlegm.  no pooping on the streets by adults, sometimes the little kids in their split pants get to poop/pee on the curb.  nice.

Sounds like a good time to visit China right now, because of the lower tourist volumes. It's a nightmare visiting popular tourist sites in China because of the huge crowds. But too bad, foreigners can't enter yet. I wouldn't mind being quarantined for 14 days there - no different from what is happening in Malaysia at the moment - couldn't go anywhere.

6 minutes ago, chris_samui said:

rather have a few drunks, then a whole bunch of desease spreaders because of their spitting.

In Chiang Mai I saw more drunk farangs than spitting Chinese. Also they only arrested farangs for putting graffity on walls. If they catch a shop lifter tourist it´s always a farang. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's not just much of Africa,and domains to the South China Sea,that have sold their souls. to China.

Huge loans,with virtual impossibility to pay back, to allow China to extract what it wants.

It is very sad that a previously self sustaining nation like Thailand,succumbing to greed with their neighbours China with get rich quick. loans...Andthe Devil may care as to future generations.

Thai Rak Thai ???...I begin to wonder.

Hitherto .... And thankfully the Odious EU finds itself devoid of UK funds...It to is seeing COVID19,bringing reality home to roost.

https://youtu.be/dMH0sgJVFn0

Be careful where you make your home folks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

In Chiang Mai I saw more drunk farangs than spitting Chinese. Also they only arrested farangs for putting graffity on walls. If they catch a shop lifter tourist it´s always a farang. 

In Malaysia, I have encountered begging farangs. So far have never encountered a begging China tourist yet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

A lots of over reaction for a provisional approval and matters still needing much discussion before careful steps taken especially regarding travelling. As normal, frenzy turned to China bashing. 

Over-reaction is an understatement.

Thailand was the first country affected outside China even though it has large number of Chinese tourists compared to most countries in the world.

Ironically, it turned out that countries with far fewer Chinese tourists got the most number of infected people.

11 minutes ago, sitti said:

????Looks like so many farangs are jealous of Asia's success of defeating covid19

You forgot to mention where all of this started once again...Asia with its poor hygiene conditions

Edited by Anton9
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Selatan said:

Sounds like a good time to visit China right now, because of the lower tourist volumes. It's a nightmare visiting popular tourist sites in China because of the huge crowds. But too bad, foreigners can't enter yet. I wouldn't mind being quarantined for 14 days there - no different from what is happening in Malaysia at the moment - couldn't go anywhere.

personally, i try to avoid all chinese tourist sites like the...umm....plague.  they are overcrowded of course, and they are overpriced - often charging 300-400 rmb entry fees (about 1500-2000 baht), are they are just awful.  but no foreigner fee, there's that at least.

there's no real nature.  go to a mountain and there are few real trails, just a straight staircase to the top (and a cable car).  all the old stuff has been torn down, to rebuild new copies that look like the old stuff.  once you get inside, the staff are constantly trying to sell you more stuff, and to get out you must go through a huge sales complex with no direct exit, just an endless maze through the shop.

they've even built copies of sections of the great wall for the chinese to visit, cause the real thing doesn't look new.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Over-reaction is an understatement.

Thailand was the first country affected outside China even though it has large number of Chinese tourists compared to most countries in the world.

Ironically, it turned out that countries with far fewer Chinese tourists got the most number of infected people.

The Asian countries like Thailand, South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan were better prepared and quickly implemented policies to temperate check in-flight passengers. Probably due to the past bad experience with SARs. All have learned from that experience and had prepared protocols and policies which were useful at those earlier stage of covid 19. 

IMO, Asian countries did well because of our culture of collectivism rather than individualism and we don't question the authority. Some may argue against these but in this pandemic, adhering to policies and working together collectively help these countries stop the virus spread while the culture of individualism and demanding freedom in the west seem not working well besides their delay in recognizing the pandemic.