Which Bands or Artist have you seen live?

One of the first bands I ever saw was called Fusion. The lead singer was a really horny looking blonde girl with long hair who used to stuff the microphone up her fanny in a musical way.

It was a sound I had never heard before or since.

Wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:
  • Zoot Money

You must be the first guy to mention Zoot money I remember these guys from the 60's

Zoot Money and the Big Roll Band typical Mod band just incase you forgot he's one from them

• Like 1

For starters, I'm very envious of the posters who have seen Peter Frampton and the Faces. Frampton, I believe is having to stop touring as he has a problem with his hands that would prevent him from being his brilliant self.  The most surprisingly good act I ever saw was Marc Bolan at the Locarno in pompey - last date of his 1977 tour so I'm guessing it was the last gig he did before he got killed. What a rocker! Segments of that show are on YouTube. Another that blew me away was Rod Stewart in either 1978 or 1979 at the Brighton Centre. Thin Lizzy, Ian Dury also standouts but finally seeing my guitar hero Johnny Winter in a small venue in Southampton will always stay with me. By that time Johnny wasn't in the best of health and played while sitting but he still had it! At the other end of the scale Toyah Wilcox - basically she couldn't sing live for toffee!

• Like 1

Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers - Got To Get You Into My Life one of them Cockney bands 

John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote "Got to get you into my life" for "The Beatles". This soulful cover by "Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rouser" is a Motown homage with brass performed in Beat Club 1966. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 5:04 AM, hotandsticky said:

Some topless Danish girl band.

555, "Ladybirds" they were called...????

I knew one of the birds, but before she became a "ladybird", so did the drummer in my band, i.e. knew her; by second thoughts I thinks she was kind of my drummer's girlfriend, but in the happy hippie days that kind of facts could be little complicated...:whistling:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

One of the first bands I ever saw was called Fusion. The lead singer was a really horny looking blonde girl with long hair who used to stuff the microphone up her fanny in a musical way.

It was a sound I had never heard before or since.

Wonderful.

A singing snatch? I've missed out again. ????

23 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Deep Purple.

Nazareth.

Suzi Quatro.

Earth Wind & Fire.

Heatwave.

Rock in the 70s.

Soul & R&B in the 80s

Hits 1977-85, dj was my sideline.

90s+ hated the music, and going back to earlier days, ever since.

This video remind me how we used to look, long hair same a chick .....

KB Hallen, Copenhagen – thanks for sharing, I was there, great concert...????

The 1st live show I ever saw was the 1969 Isle of Wight Festival, with Bob Dylan and The Band, Joe Cocker, The Who, and The Moody Blues, and lots of filler bands that I've long forgotten. We lived just over on the mainland, so i badgered my mum into letting me go with an older cousin, my dad was away with the navy, he would never had let me go. It was well organised, not too big, and we both returned unharmed and not stoned so we were allowed to go to the 1970 show as well.....what a shambles that was ! 1969 was all "peace, love,music" but 1970 was booze, drugs and agro. The sound in 1970 was terrible, but i did manage to hear Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez (oh, what a voice), Melanie, The Who and Moody Blues again. Heard but did n't see The Doors because they would n't turn the lights on.

One of my favourites would have to be George Thorogood and The Destroyers in a pub show before they hit the big time, and also Tina Turner's comeback tour. saw her on Christmas Eve in Perth, australia...it was the last show on her Private Dancer comeback tour so it was party time. She was on stage for over 3 hours, encore after encore, ran out of songs so her gospel singing roots came out and she ended up singing Christmas carols !

My musical tastes have changed since then, before moving to Thailand I used to head to Tamworth every January for the Country Music Festival, my favourite performer there was 8 Ball Aitken. Used to catch his pub shows nearly every night. 

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Not an enhanced performance then?

Nobody could cover a Dylan song like The Byrds, I don't remember anyone mentioning them or CCR for that matter yet, although I did see Roger McGuinn on his own at Leeds City Varieties (the good old days), I believe out of The Byrds he was the only one to play on Mr Tambourine Man, the rest were not up to it at the time.????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

The 1st live show I ever saw was the 1969 Isle of Wight Festival, with Bob Dylan and The Band, Joe Cocker, The Who, and The Moody Blues, and lots of filler bands that I've long forgotten. We lived just over on the mainland, so i badgered my mum into letting me go with an older cousin, my dad was away with the navy, he would never had let me go. It was well organised, not too big, and we both returned unharmed and not stoned so we were allowed to go to the 1970 show as well.....what a shambles that was ! 1969 was all "peace, love,music" but 1970 was booze, drugs and agro. The sound in 1970 was terrible, but i did manage to hear Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez (oh, what a voice), Melanie, The Who and Moody Blues again. Heard but did n't see The Doors because they would n't turn the lights on.

One of my favourites would have to be George Thorogood and The Destroyers in a pub show before they hit the big time, and also Tina Turner's comeback tour. saw her on Christmas Eve in Perth, australia...it was the last show on her Private Dancer comeback tour so it was party time. She was on stage for over 3 hours, encore after encore, ran out of songs so her gospel singing roots came out and she ended up singing Christmas carols !

I really wanted to see George Thorogood and The Destroyers. I missed the chance to see them in Dublin around twenty years ago, I couldn't afford the flight from Thailand to Ireland.

Sidetrack warning:

Moody Blues were originally called the M&B5, as they were from Birmingham UK and were booked to play in a group of pubs owned by Mitchells & Butler (a Birmingham brewery).

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Anybody fancy booking Deep Purple for £125?

Recognise any names Sandy? 2nd file.

59573637_2662938390389715_2636209797677973504_n.jpg

Sharjah10012016.jpg

A number of bands from that affordable list could make up a great revival concert – well even after 1969 level some of the prices were interesting...????

• Like 1

I saw Bob Dylan in Aberdeen in the late 90s. I was not particularly a fan of his music but I wanted to see the legend in concert. It was 90 minutes of mostly indistinguishable nasal tones with Hey Mr Tambourine Man being the only song I recognised. 

I was also disappointed by the Velvet Underground when they performed their first ever UK concert in Edinburgh (after they reformed for a cash grab in the early 90s). The band clearly still had issues with each other, and Lou Reed refused to actually sing, but simply recited the lyrics as if he was reciting poetry.

One of the best concerts I ever attended was by a little known Newcastle band called Martin Stephenson & The Daintees. They were on a farewell tour around 1990 and atmosphere was euphoric. I remember they pulled some random guy from the audience up on stage and he started rapping with them during an encore. The show was meant to end at 11pm and they told the crowd that their fee was reduced for each 10 minutes they ran over that. I think they stayed on playing till close to midnight, whilst also handing out tins of beer to all the audience. I met Martin a few times after that as he toured regularly as a solo artist - a genuinely lovely guy and a great musician. 

• Like 1

Thinking about it ,back in the 80s i saw a great band , they were called Satisfaction ,never made it big but did have an album out ,wish i still had it ,cant remember what the songs were but i knew they blew me away at the time .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, orchis said:

David Bowie
Riyuchi Sakomoto
Talking Heads
Iggy Pop
B52 s
James Brown
Whitney Houston
Elton John
Bette Midler (6) (in Europe, Australia and the US)
Prince (3)
The Residents
Eurythmics
UB40
Pet Shop Boys
Erasure
Sparks (3)
Rod Stewart
Randy Newman
Nina Hagen
The Sound
Amanda Lear
ABC
Grace Jones (2)
Boy George
Joan Armatrading
George Duke
The Police
Human League
Adam and The Ants
Britney Spears
Antony and The Johnsons
Bronski Beat

and all the major classical musicians and opera singers of the last 40 years.

Talking Heads was the first band I became obsessed with as a teenager, but they broke up before I got the chance to see them. I have seen David Byrne in concert a few times since then - he is a truly magnificent live performer.

• Like 1

Just now, RuamRudy said:

Talking Heads was the first band I became obsessed with as a teenager, but they broke up before I got the chance to see them. I have seen David Byrne in concert a few times since then - he is a truly magnificent live performer.

I saw a triple bill: Pearl Harbor and The Explosions, B52 s and Talking Heads. Brussels early 80s.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, ChipButty said:

For you guys who knocked around the clubs in the 60's did you ever come across this guy? Chris Farlow he played a few time in the all night clubs in Manchester 

saw chris farlowe and the thunderbirds a couple of times. good band.

he traveled on the QE2 when i worked on there, down to earth bloke.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, ChipButty said:

For you guys who knocked around the clubs in the 60's did you ever come across this guy? Chris Farlow he played a few time in the all night clubs in Manchester 

saw chris farlowe and the thunderbirds a couple of times. good band.

he traveled on the QE2 when i worked on there, down to earth bloke.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I really wanted to see George Thorogood and The Destroyers. I missed the chance to see them in Dublin around twenty years ago, I couldn't afford the flight from Thailand to Ireland.

Sidetrack warning:

Moody Blues were originally called the M&B5, as they were from Birmingham UK and were booked to play in a group of pubs owned by Mitchells & Butler (a Birmingham brewery).

Great band - terrible beer.

• Like 2

Boy. Way way way too many shows.

Just a few: Dizzy Gillespie to Hank Williams Junior - B-52's - Fleetwood Mac - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Albert and BB King - Arturo Sandoval - Santana - Who - Dead and Jerry Garcia band hundreds of times - Stones - Who - Yes - Neil Young - Pat Benatar - Oingo Boingo - Talking Heads - Police - Cars - Kinks - Tom Petty - Jerry Jeff Walker -  Jackson Brown - Ramones - Robby Krieger - Bonnie Raitt- Temptations - 4 Tops - Tubes - ZZ Top - Stones - Bob Dylan - Joan Baez -Muddy Waters - Buddy Guy - Dianna Ross- Jeff Healy - Gregg Almond - Starship - Elton John - Jimmy Cliff - Jerry Buffet - and the list goes on and on and on.

Not to mention some of the people I used to play professionally with in the Bay Area at clubs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Talking Heads / David Byrne - This Must Be The Place 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Jimmy Cliff 

"Hey, Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam Yesterday, I got a letter from my friend fighting in Vietnam And this is what he had to say, 'tell all my friends that I'll Be coming home soon, my time'll be up some time in June Don't forget", he said, "to tell my sweet Mary her golden lips Are sweet as cherry", and it came from Vietnam, Vietnam... It was just the next day, his mother got a telegram It was addressed from Vietnam, now mistress Brown She lives in the USA and this is what she wrote and said "Don't be alarmed", she told me the telegram said "But mistress Brown your son is dead" And it came from Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam... Somebody please stop that war now, Vietnam, Vietnam I wanna say now somebody stop that war"

42 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Boy. Way way way too many shows.

Just a few: Dizzy Gillespie to Hank Williams Junior - B-52's - Fleetwood Mac - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Albert and BB King - Arturo Sandoval - Santana - Who - Dead and Jerry Garcia band hundreds of times - Stones - Who - Yes - Neil Young - Pat Benatar - Oingo Boingo - Talking Heads - Police - Cars - Kinks - Tom Petty - Jerry Jeff Walker -  Jackson Brown - Ramones - Robby Krieger - Bonnie Raitt- Temptations - 4 Tops - Tubes - ZZ Top - Stones - Bob Dylan - Joan Baez -Muddy Waters - Buddy Guy - Dianna Ross- Jeff Healy - Gregg Almond - Starship - Elton John - Jimmy Cliff - Jerry Buffet - and the list goes on and on and on.

Not to mention some of the people I used to play professionally with in the Bay Area at clubs. 

Guns N roses - Thin Lizzy - UFO - Maria Muldaur - Dave Mathews - REM and and ….

this has taken off more than "what was the first single you bought" a couple of days ago.

from seeing fledgling bands in salisbury city hall, 66/67 young pink floyds, small faces, the move, the kinks and the english birds, doing motown covers with ronnie wood on bass. etc.

then the blues boom, john mayall"s bluesbreakers , fleetwood mac, aynsley dunbar et al, the soul bands, geno washington, jimmy james and the vagabonds,  the alan bown set.

bath festival, knebworths, glastonburys the last night at fillmore east, blackbush, readings, 1975 mardi gras concert in new orleans, its all been great,

so many bands have been mentioned in this thread, some i had completely forgotten about, and it sounds like we all had a good time.

biggest regret, not going to the isle of white in 1970 to see and hear jimi hendrix, i was in southampton at the time.

he was n't as good as i hoped he would be,  james brown in sydney, never mind

and lets not forget all those great bands who play in our local pubs and clubs on friday and saturday nights who never made the big time.

do you believe in rock and roll, god damn right i do!

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1