Which Bands or Artist have you seen live?

This is better topic than all the doom and gloom surrounding Covid-19 and the closure of ex-pat bars! My experiences of live performance:-

The Rolling Stones as the support group to Ike & Tina Turner at the Odeon, Watford (UK). Amen Corner in Harrow (UK), and in a pop concert at the Wembley Arena (UK), Cilla Black, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five, Tom Jones and others I cannot remember. Finally The Moody Blues at Hammersmith in West London (UK). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

She was much, much more popular in UK than the US.  But then I grew up in NYC, and I'd see in magazines the national charts that would have top ten songs that got zero airplay in the big city.  Maybe something to do with baksheesh...

Never heard of a lot of the Brit performers being mentioned here.

And no one has mentioned Ten Years After!

Ten Years After are a British blues rock band, most popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Between 1968 and 1973, 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

This is better topic than all the doom and gloom surrounding Covid-19 and the closure of ex-pat bars! My experiences of live performance:-

The Rolling Stones as the support group to Ike & Tina Turner at the Odeon, Watford (UK). Amen Corner in Harrow (UK), and in a pop concert at the Wembley Arena (UK), Cilla Black, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five, Tom Jones and others I cannot remember. Finally The Moody Blues at Hammersmith in West London (UK). 

Ike and Tina Turner played in Manchester a few times I think I first saw them at a club called the Oasis of Albert square then they played at the famous Twisted Wheel 

ike-and-tina-turner-17-ev.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Ten Years After are a British blues rock band, most popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Between 1968 and 1973, 

Do tell!

Must have seen them a dozen times.  They'd cross the pond and play NYC, tour the country and play the Fillmore again before Going Home (Going Home was the last song in their set).  Then they'd be back in a few months.  My buddy played bass, and was fascinated by the bassist's style.

When word got around about Alvin Lee's sexual preference he fell out of favor with the macho guitar jocks.

• Like 2

If you was around in the 60"s the famous Twisted Wheel on Whitworth street Manchester there was another one before on Brazenose street I was too young for that one that was a proper Blues club,

This video give you a brief history and a list of some of the bands that played every week allnighters in the days of the Mods I went almost every week for years too many bands for me to list 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Thanks 1

Good topic, brings back so many memories. In U.K. Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Bobby Darin, Duane Eddy, Brenda Lee, Everly Bros (backed by the Crickets), Freddy Cannon,Johnny Preston,Conway Twitty, Georgie Fame,Gerry Dorsey (before he became Engelbert Humperdinck),Glen Campbell, Clyde McPhatter (original lead singer with the Drifters), Minnie Riperton, Charley Pride,Crystal Gayle, Tommy Steele, Cliff Richard, The Beatles, The Four Tops, Rolling Stones, Searchers, The Hollies, Tom Jones, Joe Brown and all of the Larry Parnes stable and I am sure others which I have forgotten. In Bangkok Cliff Richard, Air Supply, Bryan Ferry, The Pretenders.   Tokyo, The Stones.

Hong Kong ,The Pet Shop Boys first ever stage appearance, Pat Boone, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Frank Sinatra, David Bowie (disappointing),

The Shadows, Cliff Richard, John Denver ( spent a couple of days playing golf and drinking beer with John, a wonderful human being).

Thank you for the topic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rwill said:

Too many to remember, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Yes, Blue Oyster Cult, Ted Nugent, Ramones, Kinks, Bob Seger, Montrose, Edgar Winter, Johnny & Edgar winter, ZZ Top, Heaven & Hell(Black sabbath with Dio), Frampton, David Bowie, Bad Company, Boston, etc.  etc.....

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Like A Rock I always liked this one

1 minute ago, Scottie12 said:

Good topic, brings back so many memories. In U.K. Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Bobby Darin, Duane Eddy, Brenda Lee, Everly Bros (backed by the Crickets), Freddy Cannon,Johnny Preston,Conway Twitty, Georgie Fame,Gerry Dorsey (before he became Engelbert Humperdinck),Glen Campbell, Clyde McPhatter (original lead singer with the Drifters), Minnie Riperton, Charley Pride,Crystal Gayle, Tommy Steele, Cliff Richard, The Beatles, The Four Tops, Rolling Stones, Searchers, The Hollies, Tom Jones, Joe Brown and all of the Larry Parnes stable and I am sure others which I have forgotten. In Bangkok Cliff Richard, Air Supply, Bryan Ferry, The Pretenders.   Tokyo, The Stones.

Hong Kong ,The Pet Shop Boys first ever stage appearance, Pat Boone, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Frank Sinatra, David Bowie (disappointing),

The Shadows, Cliff Richard, John Denver ( spent a couple of days playing golf and drinking beer with John, a wonderful human being).

Thank you for the topic.

You're welcome give me lots of pleasure also

• Like 1

In no particular order, just off the top of my head.

Ted Nugent ( first concert), Rush, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Black Uhuru, Pato Banton, Third World, Santana, Buddy Guy, Pearl Jam, Jimmy Cliff, Journey, New Order, General Public, INXS, Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant, Sammy Hagar, Rolling Stones, The Who, U2, UB 40, Burning Spear, Shaggy, Peter Tosh and many many more.  

Probably the one thing I miss the most living in TH is the number of live music acts available to see.

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

In no particular order, just off the top of my head.

Ted Nugent ( first concert), Rush, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Black Uhuru, Pato Banton, Third World, Santana, Buddy Guy, Pearl Jam, Jimmy Cliff, Journey, New Order, General Public, INXS, Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant, Sammy Hagar, Rolling Stones, The Who, U2, UB 40, Burning Spear, Shaggy, Peter Tosh and many many more.  

Probably the one thing I miss the most living in TH is the number of live music acts available to see.

A varied list there

Here's a nice story about a guys I did meet a couple of times bck in the 60"s if you are old like me 555 mostly Americans will know him as a Country & Western singer Ronnie Milsap the same one a keyboard player who was blind had lots of hits I think one of my favourites was "Stranger In My House" You can listen to here

Before all that success in the C&W music it seems he tried his hand at soul music back around 1966 he relised and record that maybe was never a a big hit state side but it hit the big time in England on the soul scene if you have this on a 45 let me tell you it's worth a lot of money keep it, 

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Oh , last night remembered The Hollies , saw them several times , one time at a pub , The Downs at Hassocks I think it was, we stood about 20 ft away. Great band great harmonies.

Doris Troy version was better

• Like 2

Just thought of another one Doris Troy ,

Surely one of the most talented one-hit wonders of the rock era, Doris Troy hit the Top Ten with "Just One Look" in 1963, but also recorded many other fine pop-soul sides for Atlantic between 1963 and 1965. Unlike many soul performers of the time, Troy wrote most of her own material (under the pseudonym Payne), and had already written for other artists and sung backup with Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick and Cissy Houston on New York soul records before striking out on her own. More melodically ambitious and stylistically eclectic than many of her peers, her Atlantic sides blend elements of gospel, girl group, blues, and pop into a rich New York soul sound. Troy never reached the charts again after "Just One Look," but was more appreciated in England, where she toured occasionally and where the Hollies covered her "What'cha Gonna Do About It" on their first album. Moving to Britain, she recorded an album for Apple in 1970 with assistance from George Harrison and Billy Preston. In the early '70s, she sang backup vocals for British rock groups, most notably the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, in addition to recording a couple more albums. In the '80s she starred in +Mama I Want to Sing, a musical based on her life story. The musical became a touring success, one which Troy remained involved with until 1998. She continued to perform in Las Vegas until her death from emphysema on February 17, 2004. ~ Richie Unterberger, All Music Guide

9 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Rush

Kinks

Who

Stones

Neil young

Bowie

Nirvanna

Pavement

Ween

Built to spill

Cure

Pogues

Clash

Eurythmics

Dylan and petty

Stone temple pilots

Sonic youth

Tom waits

siouxie and banshees

Orbital

Flaming lips

Violent femmes

Suzanne vega

Tragically hip

Bootsauce

Deelite

Soul to soul

Nina simone

Pearl jam

BTO

Butthole surfers

Paul weller

Husker du

Iron maiden

Smashing pumpkins

Swervedriver

Screaming trees

Soundgarden

Cure

Iggy pop

Echo and the bunnymen

54 40

Pixies

Sugar

Beck

Roger waters

Pink floyd

Midnight oil

And edited to add phish and grateful dead and sneaker pimps many others forgotten.

So many others id need to check the music collection

I dont suppose djs count but that list is longer

Your the first to mention Nina Simone I think 

Yes - I almost died of boredom, was tempted to gnaw my own leg off. The Boomtown Rats also sticks in my mind, mainly cos Bob Geldorf was spouting off about how famous he was going to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Ike and Tina Turner played in Manchester a few times I think I first saw them at a club called the Oasis of Albert square then they played at the famous Twisted Wheel 

ike-and-tina-turner-17-ev.jpg

Very interesting, on your list is another group I now remember:- Gino Washington & The Ram Jam Band!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Your the first to mention Nina Simone I think 

In the round in vancouver. epic cant remeber the venue name or the year, but it was wonderful.

We used to bounce between, punk, industrial, jazz, you name it.

Between vancouver and victoria we went to 3 gigs a week if not more and spent alot of time recovering in jazz clubs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Very interesting, on your list is another group I now remember:- Gino Washington & The Ram Jam Band!

Did you ever see Gino? He played many times at the Twisted Wheel did you know he was a GI? 

Special for you just incase you forgot

• Thanks 1