Which Bands or Artist have you seen live?

42 minutes ago, vogie said:

I seem to recall that Marty Wilde was married to one of the Vernon Girls, but after 9 months in Bahrain the Vernon Girls made a pleasant sight. Can't remember any of the other artists, but everybody enjoyed an evening with a difference.????

In 72/74 I was at Laarbruch and NCO i/c the Folk Club. We had quite a few of the top names come to club and I ended up with several albums signed by the artist. Got a few bob for them when i cleared my flat to come here in 2008.

Ian & Lorna Campbell, Jeremy Taylor, Martin Carthy, Jaqui & Bridie, names that come to mind. 

Do any of you remember Argent,? was good friends with Rod back in the 60s , he used to be in the Zombies,but they went bust and he formed Argent ,i remember him buying an American car ,first one that i had seen with an electric roof ,watched it go up and down about 4 times.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Do any of you remember Argent,? was good friends with Rod back in the 60s , he used to be in the Zombies,but they went bust and he formed Argent ,i remember him buying an American car ,first one that i had seen with an electric roof ,watched it go up and down about 4 times.

I saw The Zombies about three years ago at the London Palladium, where they performed the whole of Odessey and Oracle. A friend of mine knows Colin Blunstone.

A bit off topic as I actually never saw the band, well just a few minutes at the end.

In 2006 I took my son to Fantasialand in Germany and stayed in Cologne. In the evening we went to the musical "We will Rock You", the acoustics were out of this world and the show was absolutely spectacular, apart from small bits in German.

Well worth going if it is still on the go.

I went to a concert in the 70's and saw Marc Bolan T-rex, it was horrific.

crammed in, couldnt see much, felt suffocated and the sound system was diabolical. Supporting act was The Damned.

So bad I never went near any other venue for almost 30 yrs !!

I then saw John Denver just before he died and Glen Campbell in 2006. Nothing since.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In 72/74 I was at Laarbruch and NCO i/c the Folk Club. We had quite a few of the top names come to club and I ended up with several albums signed by the artist. Got a few bob for them when i cleared my flat to come here in 2008.

Ian & Lorna Campbell, Jeremy Taylor, Martin Carthy, Jaqui & Bridie, names that come to mind. 

Seen Martin Carthy and his wife Norma Waterson in Haworth and their daughter Eliza Carthy at the Otley folk festival. We were regulars at the Saltburn folk festival featuring the likes of Vin Garbutt (RIP) and Jez Lowe and the Bad Pennies.

13 minutes ago, madmitch said:

One thing I miss about the UK is live music (2020 eexcepted). I always make a point of going to a gig or two when I'm back home; on my last visit I saw Mungo Jerry and Focus. I like small venues. In Thailand it seems these days to be mostly the bands that appeal to the younger generation that tour here.

Too many gigs to list but here are some memorable ones:

First gig, Mungo Jerry 1971

Second, Free 1972

First at The Marquee Club, Nazareth 1972

First at Wembley (Empire Pool) Rolling Stones 1972

Best, Genesis at Drury Lane, 1973

Worst, Shabba Ranks at Brixton, 90s

Best Blues, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Bobby Bland 80s

Loudest, Wishbone Ash, Marquee 70s

Best open Air, The Who at Charlton Athletic, 1974

Gig where I felt oldest, Sparks at Hammersmith Odeon, 80s

Best in Thailand: Bryan Ferry/Pretenders 2003

Gigs for which I have tickets in 2020, Jimmy Buffett and Sting, both at London Palladium and both likely to be cancelled.

I know that feeling - I had tickets for Peter Frampton and Eric Gales in Scotland this month but obviously trip was cancelled. Bummer.

Deep Purple.

Nazareth.

Suzi Quatro.

Earth Wind & Fire.

Heatwave.

Rock in the 70s.

Soul & R&B in the 80s

Hits 1977-85, dj was my sideline.

90s+ hated the music, and going back to earlier days, ever since.

This video remind me how we used to look, long hair same a chick .....

• Like 2

Lets think... OK, Stones,Pretty Things,Jimi Hendrix,Yardbirds,Moody Blues,

The Who, The Family,Pink Floyd,Fleetwood Mac,Deep Purple,Led Zeppelin,

The Nice, to name a few

Bands I never seen live,but would have loved to,

Downliners Sect,Burning Spear,Bob Marley,Dr.Feelgood.

I can remember the words to all the songs...but cannot

remember what I did yesterday !

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I saw The Zombies about three years ago at the London Palladium, where they performed the whole of Odessey and Oracle. A friend of mine knows Colin Blunstone.

Colin used to live in the flat with Rod back in N Finchley . the old houses that were there are long gone and now there is a block of flats on the site ,Gardens were big in those days ,our house had an orchard at the bottom of the garden.lol

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Lets think... OK, Stones,Pretty Things,Jimi Hendrix,Yardbirds,Moody Blues,

The Who, The Family,Pink Floyd,Fleetwood Mac,Deep Purple,Led Zeppelin,

The Nice, to name a few

Bands I never seen live,but would have loved to,

Downliners Sect,Burning Spear,Bob Marley,Dr.Feelgood.

I can remember the words to all the songs...but cannot

remember what I did yesterday !

regards Worgeordie

I know the feeling just get with the rhythm hey I did something damage on that Tuxedo princess under the Tyne bridge some years ago 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Blondie, DeMontfort Hall Leicester, late seventies

Dr Feelgood, various locations, including a barn in a village of sixty people, when they did a charity gig.

Gary Glitter, NEC Birmingham eighties

Elton John, Wembley 1986

Blues Brothers Band, Stockholm 1990 and NEC Birmingham ~1993

Was in Stockholm with two friends, and on the waterfront saw this poster featured in the film (minus Jake & Elwood). The location was listed as Stockholm and the date was that day.

At the time I had no idea the band members in the film were real session musicians.
We thought it was a joke, but asked a local just in case. They pointed us in the right direction. Superb!

June 20: The Blues Brothers Embark On Their “Mission From ...

Gary Glitter......I would delete him 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Going to give away the depth of my spring chickenness here. First concert when a teenager was an at the time unheard of band called UB40 supporting one that was just hitting the charts called The Pretenders at Surrey University. Seen many, many since, most of them excellent, but not for a while. Last one was Linkin Park in Shanghai.

Yesterday and what was your first single . I said a scotch when I was 15 at the Teen Beat rock Club. That would be about '62.  Same club saw J.Kidd and the Pirates, Joe Brown and the Bruvvers, Screaming Lord Sutch and the savages. and more . Later on the Stones at East Grinstead village hall , about 1963.  The who at The starlight Ball room Crawley , The Beatles the same year.  Queen when Bo. rhap. was #1 ,   I suppose now I would think the noise is too loud and they all need shooting.  Ah , nostalgia  isn't what it used to be.

10 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Boy George

Dr Hook

Live aid concert at Wembly Stadium 1985 from memory, best act Queen, Freddie was on fire, just fantastic.

There's a friend of mine here in Phuket at one time the Sax player with Boy George the culture club

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There's a friend of mine here in Phuket at one time the Sax player with Boy George the culture club

I think he should probably keep quiet about that.  BG was sxxt. 

• Haha 2

Beatles, Gerry & Pacemakers, Roy Orbison, Louise Cordet at Granada, Tooting Jul? 1964

Crystals, Ronettes at Streatham Odeon 1965?

Brenda Lee, Mike Berry, Bachelors, Sounds Incorporated at Granada Tooting 1963

Hollies at Oxford Street 1965

Four Seasons at Chicago 1967

Beatles, Stones, Cliff & Shadows, Gerry & Pacemakers, Freddie & Dreamers, Dave Clark 5,  Manfred Mann, Tremeloes, Springfields, Joe Brown, Searchers and others at NME Poll Winners Concert, Wembley Empire Pool 1964

Bill Haley & Comets, Duane Eddy at Royal Albert Hall May 1968

Screaming Lord Sutch, Johnny Kidd & Pirates, Billy Fury, Tornados and many others

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I think he should probably keep quiet about that.  BG was sxxt. 

Boy George, great entertainer and a really nice genuine person, doesn't matter about other things, treat as you find.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

As the title says Which bands or Artist have you seen live?

Great posts until now.

Thanks to all of you.

I've seen different groups in the past one hundred years.

Remembering 

especially Bob Dylan 1994(?) at the old Munich Airport.

Great performance, Mr Dylan. But the audience had to quack ...

Long time before twitter & Co. were established...

Another live  event with Angelo Branduardi in Munich,
Schlachthof. Same samequak, but Sign. Branduardi was annoyed

and the trouble makers had to leave the concert...

This worked  some years ago...

One of my favorite artists over the years, especially during college, was John Fahey. Drove 2 hours to see him perform one time, but he was a no-show.  He had a tendency to drink a lot.  Brilliant but troubled.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fahey_(musician)

20 years later, I was at a 7-11 in Virginia, USA and a car from NY parked next to mine.  License plate said "Fahey".  I didn't think much of it.  Later someone pointed out that it was John & some friends.  I didn't recognize him with a beard and long hair.  DOH! 

I used to do acid and listen to his records for hours.

Essential albums: John Fahey - Ambient Music GuideJohn Fahey | Discography | Discogs

Another artist I missed was Jimi Hendrix.  I was supposed to go but the guy with the ride didn't follow through.  I was probably 15 or 16 at the time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vogie said:

Seen Martin Carthy and his wife Norma Waterson in Haworth and their daughter Eliza Carthy at the Otley folk festival. We were regulars at the Saltburn folk festival featuring the likes of Vin Garbutt (RIP) and Jez Lowe and the Bad Pennies.

He came on his own to Laarbruch but I remember The Watersons from the Cambridge festival.

Saw Martin Carthy there a few times, often played with Dave Swarbrick.

I had seen Noel Murphy at Cambridge and when I was at Brize Norton in 71 I went to see him at a club in Cirencester. Tremendous entertainer, he was on all night but seemed like 5 minutes, probably the best night I ever had in a club.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I know the feeling just get with the rhythm hey I did something damage on that Tuxedo princess under the Tyne bridge some years ago 

Now that is a memory jogger! If I recall it was moved to Glasgow after Newcastle?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Now that is a memory jogger! If I recall it was moved to Glasgow after Newcastle?

Ive just looked it only went to Glasgow for a short while then moved to Greece so it says then moved to Turkey and got scraped 

313384851_4ceb0090c9_z.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Timi Yuro was a sixties American pop singer

She was much, much more popular in UK than the US.  But then I grew up in NYC, and I'd see in magazines the national charts that would have top ten songs that got zero airplay in the big city.  Maybe something to do with baksheesh...

Never heard of a lot of the Brit performers being mentioned here.

And no one has mentioned Ten Years After!

• Like 1