Doxycycline In Thailand

I've bought antibiotics straight from a pharmacy (I think tetracycline), but is doxycycline available wothouit prescription? I've been explicitly to get this for a friend, and she cannot get it where she lives. I'll not be in Thailand again before the end of May, and she needs it sooner.

And can someone help me with the Thai translation? I've tried internet translation, but they do not know the word.

Many thanks for any help offered.

While antibiotics are technically prescription drugs in Thailand they can all, including doxycycline, be bought in Thailand from pharmacies without a prescription.

You do not need a Thai translation for doxycycline. The pharmacy will understand what is meant. There are at least a dozen different brands of doxycycline available in Thailand.

--

Maestro

Doxy is an anti-malarial drug i think, got to avoid lots of sun, could cause diarrhea, may cause drowsiness ect, i was on these when i first came here to live, but after a dose of the shits and seeing local doc, he assured me that there is no longer a malari problem in NE Thai, i felt better after stopping doxy, i use the ddt wipes 10bht for 2 in a packet, this really does keep the mossies away, hope this helps..

Also good for getting rid of the pox.....

When I was with UNTAC in PP in the early 90s the German Army gave them away in buckets .....great...

also not bad for hangovers ....

Doxcycline is avaiable over the counter, but i forund that you will get the larger dose from the Hospital.

I do a lot of work in Africa, so i just go to the local Hospital where i live and explain that i am going to a Malaria infected country, girls at the pharmacy counter give me funny looks as i go there often for the same tablets, i will get 8 weeks at a time cost about 800 baht. The wife has explained to the girls why i need them.

I have never had any problems taken them.

Geordie

So what about those that are planning on extended stays in malaria infected areas? Maybe even long-term as setting up a residence. Obviously you can not take doxy every day for years (well I suppose you could, but I would assume this would make the pill less effective over time). Do you just cross your fingers and hope you never come down with it or what?