Synology repairs?

recom273

I had a bit of nightmare yesterday, my Synology NAS stopped, the green light on PSU was fading / flashing and the NAS kept on turning off. 

Its 2 years and 2 months old, I contacted synology TH, which is by the sounds of it is a distributor, all we managed to achieve was an email confirming the obvious, that the thing was out of warranty, before they went home for the day. 

Smartsystems in Lampang, the retailer got back with a price for replacement PSU, 2000thb - delivery in 6 weeks.

This morning it had dropped off the network, I contacted retailer, they said contact synology - I reset the disk station and indexing my disks with fingers x’d.

Does anyone have a reliable repair place? I would be really lost if I had to wait 6 weeks for replacement parts. Yesterday, no one was even willing to hazard a guess or offer up a solution of getting the unit checked over and a proper diagnosis of the fault, 

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Is it in an aircon space?

It's been very hot recently things could be cooking up.

Yes, It’s in the air-con office - It rained here yesterday, which made me think was it maybe dampness.

I don’t know, I reset the DSM (the OS) this morning, it jumped straight back on the network and seems to behaving itself.

I have a really good mac technician in BKK who has repaired and upgraded my computers over the years, he will make an over-the-phone diagnosis and rough estimate (which I would never hold him to) but, yesterday, I just felt really lost, no one could offer up an explanation and I clutched at YouTube straws to get a possible solution today - just wondering if anyone has a go-to guy for the future.

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yes, It’s in the air-con office - It rained here yesterday, which made me think was it maybe dampness

If it rained then maybe there where power issues  fluctuating voltage  that caused the problems ,  possibly corrupted the OS  ?

• Like 1

If it's not heat it could be low supply voltage (coupled with the rain). For a couple of grand it may be worth ordering a spare power supply anyway.

My NAS is a PC based unit (UnRAID) so if anything goes pear-shaped it's a reasonably easy fix.

I also have the hyper-critical work files in the cloud (Onedrive) if I lose the NAS disastrously it's really only old work stuff and my video collection.

10 minutes ago, johng said:

If it rained then maybe there where power issues  fluctuating voltage  that caused the problems ,  possibly corrupted the OS  ?

Yes, for sure - the sudden loss of power caused a corrupt OS. I am unsure what caused the loss of power / fluctuations

I'm just thinking for the future, I would just feel safer, finding someone who can service - I called synology for a possible solution, they wouldn’t even talk to me until I emailed a photo of the serial number to prove they supplied it, then emailed at 4.55 to tell me it was out of warrantee, which I knew.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If it's not heat it could be low supply voltage (coupled with the rain). For a couple of grand it may be worth ordering a spare power supply anyway.

My NAS is a PC based unit (UnRAID) so if anything goes pear-shaped it's a reasonably easy fix.

I also have the hyper-critical work files in the cloud (Onedrive) if I lose the NAS disastrously it's really only old work stuff and my video collection.

I wouldn’t expect of quality for under a couple of grand, but when the unit was 14,000 i find 2K a little overpriced. I was thinking instead of spending 2k on a PSU and waiting a month and a half (for something to be flown from Taiwan?), I might as well add 12k to it and buy another unit to keep in store.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I am unsure what caused the loss of power / fluctuations

Where I live (Chonburi)  its an almost certainty every time  it rains there will be  grid/mains power issues   maybe look at a UPS to protect your equipment.

does it look like this?
https://www.ubuy.com.my/en/catalog/product/view/id/11939086/s/synology-psu-250w-3?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51KrEfuKwAvyuTP4M0DM7rhKNfdtXNHp9EaEMxLdQ4CkCPNZDa7w7XAaApsUEALw_wcB
maybe the mains power supply was dodgy you should have a UPS if its really important

So the thing about that PSU  is the shape 
a lot of DELL units used to use the same dimensions
Your Synology looks like their PSUs are a specific design
be it 250 or 500watt
its just a bog standard PSU internally its the shell dimensions 
the thing about the synergy is looks like the mainboard power blocks are split
unlike the dell but looks like wiggle room on the dell if you want to slice it in two

BUT 2k it looks like a standard price for any PSU

without specif model number etc its difficult for people to give perfect advice

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/1-silver-metal-metal-240w-desktop-computer-host-power-supply-suitable-for-dell-optiplex-h240es-00-h240as-00-ac240es-00-ac240as-00-l240as-compatible-dell-optiplex-390-sff-790-sff-etc-i678304492-s1462536688.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:9568388390!98231045733!!!pla-319070085595!c!319070085595!1462536688!139626069&gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR9NWy7nyH_tAHGwIdWNDGbk3fg0pX-3GzWSrXm-6XsvOA6lgN25VqRoCgRoQAvD_BwE

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/quantum-tfx-500-rated-250w-small-chassis-desktop-power-supply-i498924805-s919334016.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1032211143!54400014687!!!pla-296303633664!c!296303633664!919334016!135734272&gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR3Xu-4XmylLyTaVQN7OhsyCcjdIua1t5g3ryuS1n4tQXYWbtldtB_xoChgkQAvD_BwE

-------------------------------------------------------------

Plus your in the middle of a lock down 
every nation is of course there is going to be a long delivery time unless lazada.th 
has in stock

another example of price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-supply-Synology-RS409-RS411-RS810-RS812-RS812-RS814-RS814-/273493159046?ef_id=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51IWfiWneYAWyrCm0ALKAKZHFIYycoHt0VKWQ5AYBzYyhKAnFsMJy94aAqUJEALw_wcB:G:s
but i gotta say your logic of may as well go buy a new one instead of 2k 
its not logic 
its why the worlds a <deleted> up place sorry

Edited by andy72
more info

29 minutes ago, johng said:

Where I live (Chonburi)  its an almost certainty every time  it rains there will be  grid/mains power issues   maybe look at a UPS to protect your equipment.

Yes, it was attached to a UPS along with a raspberry pi homeserver and TP-Link Deco AP, I thought it might be a load issue, but its a new-in UPS. I dont know, its all weird. 

It’s running fine now, It just indexed multiple TB of movies and TV.

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

Yes, it was attached to a UPS

Ahh well you didn't mention that.. but here is another thing to  look for...  ants

Thai ants they love electrical stuff for some reason.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I wouldn’t expect of quality for under a couple of grand, but when the unit was 14,000 i find 2K a little overpriced. I was thinking instead of spending 2k on a PSU and waiting a month and a half (for something to be flown from Taiwan?), I might as well add 12k to it and buy another unit to keep in store.

Have a brand new synology  4 x hdd for sale never used bought 3 months ago from Advice for sale if you or anyone is interested 

• 7 months later...