Khon Kaen Zoo keeping animals cool by freezing meals

rooster59

Khon Kaen Zoo keeping animals cool by freezing meals

Praphorn Praphornkul

d2f0eafe61462e82f7498cc80fbecaa8_small.jpeg

KHON KAEN(NNT)-With temperatures soaring to as high as 43 degrees Celsius in many areas, officials at Khon Kaen Zoo, in the northeastern province of Khon Kaen, have to find a variety of ways to keep the animals cool and free from stress.

Zookeepers have made popsicles from different fruits and placed them in bamboo containers for bears, while freezing blood cubes for lions and tigers, in an attempt to keep them cool amid soaring temperatures. The chilled treats are passed to the animals by rope to keep them active and to lure them towards sprinklers which cool them further.

The Director of Khon Kaen Zoo, Thanachen Khensing, said the feeding of the animals has had to change to account for the heat. Some now have their meat frozen before meal times.

Herbivores at the zoo are treated to fruit popsicles, while otters are given chilled mackerel and extra time in the water.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-05-10

10 minutes ago, jvs said:

I feed the dogs raw frozen chicken,gives them something to do and they cool off also.

They seem to like it.

I was always told that dogs and cats like food served at body temperature, which is what their instincts tell them is correct, as it mimics a kill.  My dogs will not touch anything that is not at least at room temperature, but they seem to prefer food at dinner plate heat level.  As for their water, drop some ice cubes in the bowl to cool it down and they won't touch it until its back to room temp.  We get them bones from the Big C meat counter, boil them to kill any lingering bacteria, and they won't touch them until they have been out in the garden, preferably in a hole that they dig out of the grass, or in the sun for a whole day. Curious. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, anterian said:

I can empathise my appetite is suppressed by the heat, I am eating salads but not easy to get decent salad vegetables here. 

I just watched I guy who had road his bike stop at 7-11. The lady at door refused entry because his temp was to high. 

52 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I was always told that dogs and cats like food served at body temperature, which is what their instincts tell them is correct, as it mimics a kill.  My dogs will not touch anything that is not at least at room temperature, but they seem to prefer food at dinner plate heat level.  As for their water, drop some ice cubes in the bowl to cool it down and they won't touch it until its back to room temp.  We get them bones from the Big C meat counter, boil them to kill any lingering bacteria, and they won't touch them until they have been out in the garden, preferably in a hole that they dig out of the grass, or in the sun for a whole day. Curious. 

You are spoiling your dogs.Not saying that is bad but a dog is basically a scavenger and will eat anything if motivated(hungry).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

You are spoiling your dogs.Not saying that is bad but a dog is basically a scavenger and will eat anything if motivated(hungry).

yes, you are right of course, they are spoilt rotten, but there you go.  They get the very best of food, care and love from my wife and me. When we got them, one is just over 18 months old, the other just 11 months old, we committed ourselves to giving them the very best life that we can.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anterian said:

I can empathise my appetite is suppressed by the heat, I am eating salads but not easy to get decent salad vegetables here. 

I've always preferred spinach to lettuce in a salad, but can't find spinach anywhere.