Face mask wearing in Pattaya

roger101

I wear a mask out in public, but often forget when I just zip around to 7 -11, Tesco Lotus or the market. It's like taking a shopping bag with me. I can never remember that either. I am embarrassed when I see everyone else wearing a mask except myself. I particularly don't want to reinforce stereotypes of ignorant, dirty farangs. Nobody has said anything to date.

I, for one, will be glad when all this mask wearing is in the past. It is hard to flirt or smile with a girl when you are both in masks. Rather like trying to pick up a Muslim lady in a veil I guess (e.g. don't bother). It can be hard to read the body language.

• Like 1

My Thai wife driving near Mabprachan lake was stopped by the police and asked to wind her window down. The police checked that every body in the car was wearing a mask.  Luckily she was. Stupid only she and my daughter were in the car. They don't have to wear masks at home only if they go into shops.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

In the short video you linked to, no scientific research was produced to support the case for wearing a mask to prevent the spread of the virus. It did not even touch on the other important issue I raised on the health risks of just wearing a mask.

The article I linked to drew on no less than 13 different verifiable sources of research. The author points out, "The recommendations by the CDC and the WHO are not based on any studies of this virus and have never been used to contain any other virus pandemic or epidemic in history".

An article published last month written by researchers at the University of Minnesota, concludes:

"We do not recommend requiring the general public who do not have symptoms of COVID-19-like illness to routinely wear cloth or surgical masks because:

• There is no scientific evidence they are effective in reducing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission
  • Their use may result in those wearing the masks to relax other distancing efforts because they have a sense of protection
  • We need to preserve the supply of surgical masks for at-risk healthcare workers."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

Maybe I missed something on this.

It is common sense and responsible, but not "the law" from what I have read.

I know they made it mandatory in Phuket last month, but have not heard this as a law in Pattaya.

Lots of people walking the beach sidewalk 2 hours ago with no masks.  Mostly Falang who also for some reason make a habit of covering their mouth but not their nose with the mask.  Seems dumb.

Whats the point? 

They think they are rebels.

But we know they are just.... morons.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 5:53 PM, champers said:

I always wear a mask and always carry my passport when I am out during this crisis. Very rarely see a cop anyway but I am taking no chances.

Welcome to the scared of your own shadow brigade.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

Maybe I missed something on this.

It is common sense and responsible, but not "the law" from what I have read.

I know they made it mandatory in Phuket last month, but have not heard this as a law in Pattaya.

Lots of people walking the beach sidewalk 2 hours ago with no masks.  Mostly Falang who also for some reason make a habit of covering their mouth but not their nose with the mask.  Seems dumb.

Whats the point? 

What were we given noses for?

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

I wear a mask out in public, but often forget when I just zip around to 7 -11, Tesco Lotus or the market. It's like taking a shopping bag with me. I can never remember that either. I am embarrassed when I see everyone else wearing a mask except myself. I particularly don't want to reinforce stereotypes of ignorant, dirty farangs. Nobody has said anything to date.

I, for one, will be glad when all this mask wearing is in the past. It is hard to flirt or smile with a girl when you are both in masks. Rather like trying to pick up a Muslim lady in a veil I guess (e.g. don't bother). It can be hard to read the body language.

I am in BKK at the moment and you cannot enter a 7-11/Big C without a mask. They take your temp at entrance and give you spray of hand sanitizer.  I would have agreed with your other statement but I have found in reality it's not true. Ever heard the expression  " The eyes are the window to your soul"  Malls aren't fully open yet in BKK but as I have walked around checking the restaurants and supermarkets for stuff (everyone masked up) I came across some young girls dressed very nice with outstanding bodies and glanced at them. I guess when your face is covered you automaticly lock onto the other persons eyes. They saw I looked at them and returned the look by tilting their heads  (and I guess smiling) with slite bow.

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I wear a mask out in public, but often forget when I just zip around to 7 -11, Tesco Lotus or the market. It's like taking a shopping bag with me. I can never remember that either.

Keep a spare in the bike. I keep a spare in my back pocket in case I forget.

On 5/10/2020 at 4:38 PM, redwood1 said:

I dont like Condoms and I dont like masks and I do my best not to wear either one.....But if I have no other options I will wear both as a very last resort....

I don't think there's a law about not using a condom, but you can get fined up to 20k baht for not wearing a mask in Chonburi even if it's unusual. And try to enter for example 7/11,Tesco Lotus, Macro,Central Festival or Big C without one. 

Edited by Max69xl

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think there's a law about not using a condom, but you can get fined up to 20k baht for not wearing a mask in Chonburi even if it's unusual. And try to enter for example 7/11,Tesco Lotus, Macro,Central Festival or Big C without one. 

i borrow my mask sometimes if they dont have one and want go inside, but to pretty ladies only, sorry

On 5/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, BigStar said:

Keep a spare in the bike. I keep a spare in my back pocket in case I forget.

Another way besides the mask to protect yourselves

Gargling mouthwash could KILL coronavirus and slash risk of infection, scientists find

https://www.the-sun.com/news/828284/gargling-mouthwash-kill-coronavirus/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 5:34 PM, Krataiboy said:

In the short video you linked to, no scientific research was produced to support the case for wearing a mask to prevent the spread of the virus. It did not even touch on the other important issue I raised on the health risks of just wearing a mask.

The article I linked to drew on no less than 13 different verifiable sources of research. The author points out, "The recommendations by the CDC and the WHO are not based on any studies of this virus and have never been used to contain any other virus pandemic or epidemic in history".

An article published last month written by researchers at the University of Minnesota, concludes:

"We do not recommend requiring the general public who do not have symptoms of COVID-19-like illness to routinely wear cloth or surgical masks because:

• There is no scientific evidence they are effective in reducing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission
  • Their use may result in those wearing the masks to relax other distancing efforts because they have a sense of protection
  • We need to preserve the supply of surgical masks for at-risk healthcare workers."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

Fauci said US government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-said-us-govt-held-154828784.html

Fact check: Cloth masks — homemade and not — do offer protection against COVID-19

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-check-cloth-masks-homemade-222429633.html

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Fauci said US government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-said-us-govt-held-154828784.html

Fact check: Cloth masks — homemade and not — do offer protection against COVID-19

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-check-cloth-masks-homemade-222429633.html

Countless scientists, doctors, researchers and politicians continue to weigh into this particular vexed debate with contradictory views. The same applies to numerous other aspects of the COVID 19 saga. 

My guess is some bright spark on a "behavioral modification" team somewhere has decided that media generated fear and paranoia needed to be supplemented by ongoing confusion! 

Sadly, it seems to be working.

11 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Countless scientists, doctors, researchers and politicians continue to weigh into this particular vexed debate with contradictory views. The same applies to numerous other aspects of the COVID 19 saga

They all want their turn in the spotlight from the nurse to those with some viral qualification. As I make the effort to breathe through a mask I have to conclude how can it not impede my discharge of droplets.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They all want their turn in the spotlight from the nurse to those with some viral qualification. As I make the effort to breathe through a mask I have to conclude how can it not impede my discharge of droplets.

Using logic can get you into trouble these days!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Surelynot said:

It's a numbers thing I guess............if the vast majority comply you can pick up the odd one or two who don't........with mass disobedience, helmets for instance, they just give up.

It has given Pattaya police a new way to extort money from foreigners. I heard a recent report from a neighbour that his friend was threatened, on Friday night, to spend a weekend in lock up until the courts opened on Monday, for not wearing a mask. He coughed up 7000 baht to stay a free man. It was noted too that many Thai people in the vicinity were not wearing masks.

I would be curious to know what response the police prosecutor would get from a Judge at provincial court on Monday morning, having arrested a foreigner for not wearing a mask. It would be a massive overreach of power and a waste of court time. Certainly the comment that many Thai people were not wearing a mask would be a reasonable defence in court. I doubt the police officer would have taken this to court had the foreigner objected strongly to paying the "fine".

There's nothing shocking about this story, but it would be advised for foreigners to always wear a mask when leaving the house.

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It has given Pattaya police a new way to extort money from foreigners. I heard a recent report from a neighbour that his friend was threatened, on Friday night, to spend a weekend in lock up until the courts opened on Monday, for not wearing a mask. He coughed up 7000 baht to stay a free man. It was noted too that many Thai people in the vicinity were not wearing masks.

I would be curious to know what response the police prosecutor would get from a Judge at provincial court on Monday morning, having arrested a foreigner for not wearing a mask. It would be a massive overreach of power and a waste of court time. Certainly the comment that many Thai people were not wearing a mask would be a reasonable defence in court. I doubt the police officer would have taken this to court had the foreigner objected strongly to paying the "fine".

There's nothing shocking about this story, but it would be advised for foreigners to always wear a mask when leaving the house.

He shouldn't have paid the fine and called the policeman's bluff. With mugs paying up they will continue to stop people.

But he was a dick for not wearing a mask so got what he deserved

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

He shouldn't have paid the fine and called the policeman's bluff. With mugs paying up they will continue to stop people.

But he was a dick for not wearing a mask so got what he deserved

You are correct, it is extortion, if it was a lone policeman I might have been tempted to walk away. Quite often they back down and look for another mark, sods that they are. I have been wandering in public without a mask a few times myself, and it is usually sitting in my truck or the motorcycle pocket and I have forgotten. Where I live, out of town, masks are becoming rare.

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It has given Pattaya police a new way to extort money from foreigners. I heard a recent report from a neighbour that his friend was threatened, on Friday night, to spend a weekend in lock up until the courts opened on Monday,

Ive had police try this on in the past, they get frazzled when I say the court house is open 8.30am to 4.30pm on Saturdays and I dont mind spending the night in the lockhouse.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Ive had police try this on in the past, they get frazzled when I say the court house is open 8.30am to 4.30pm on Saturdays and I dont mind spending the night in the lockhouse.

I would have told the police to hang on a second while I called my lawyer. I had no idea the courthouse is open on Saturday. Maybe I had the day wrong and this happened on Saturday night, so it would have meant 2 nights in lockup.

Despite becoming a 'political issue,' new research shows effectiveness of masks in limiting spread of COVID-19

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/despite-becoming-a-political-issue-new-research-shows-effectiveness-of-masks-in-limiting-spread-of-covid-19/ar-BB1616Ib

According to data collected by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington, there is no question about the practicality of wearing masks when it comes to saving lives.

“Our conclusion from that — and it’s pretty consistent with what other studies are drawing as their conclusions — is that even with lower quality masks used in the general population, you can get a very substantial reduction in the transmission,”

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

If the "State of Emergency" ends at the end of July, as has been announced, that would mean that all provinces must stop compelling citizens to wear masks in non-private spaces after the decree expires, correct? 

Not sure really, maybe individual businesses, malls and shops can also have requirements.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure really, maybe individual businesses, malls and shops can also have requirements.

That's what he was asking, for example in the US some states have mandentory wearing of masks others do not. In states that do not individual businesses, malls and shops  can set their own rules as you are on private property .

8 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

That's what he was asking, for example in the US some states have mandentory wearing of masks others do not. In states that do not individual businesses, malls and shops  can set their own rules as you are on private property .

We aren't in the States!

• 2 weeks later...