Brake failure: Bangkok tuk-tuk crushed by wire laden truck

webfact

7 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Yes they do. When (for example) a private vehicle reaches its 6th annual registration it has to be checked at a licensed test station (Sign is a Yellow Gearwheel on a Blue background) and a certificate issued at the cost of ThB 200. Without this a vehicle cannot be accepted for Annual Road Tax sticker.

As to the 'test' however, there is a rolling road brake test, an exhaust pollution measurement, lights etc. Heavy vehicles such as trucks are tested at the Traffic Department own test station.

Vehicles such as private cars must also have a mandatory 3rd Party Insurance which is supposed to cover the cost of medical assistance to those persons injured in an accident with the 'insured' vehicle. Cost is around ThB 660 per annum.

Or the 'Test' could be what it used to be on my Wifes car when i first came over many moons ago.   We drove in, the Guy took the Frame Number and gave her a 'Pass' and said come back next week and pick up your papers.    When she told me it was all over just five minutes after we got there i was Gobsmacked !

4 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Brake failure in Thailand seems to be the keyphrase for either "I've been drinking" or "I was on my phone" and everything is then ok by the authorities

Simple substitute for 'Brain Failure' !

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Rhetorical question. 

Given the number of brake failures wouldn't Land Transport Dept. want to test the braking system on vehicles of all such claims?

I had to tow an old military jeep to the inspection station, I told them the brakes don't work. I only wanted the motor tested.

They checked them on the rolling road and said, MR your brakes no good.

They printed the results out and under brakes it said 0%

The operator pointed this out to me and said OK? 

I said OK, meaning that I understood.

He went and applied the road certification sticker to the windshield, and I was then theoretically able to drive on the highway.

Most of use have been here long enough to know that monkeys would do a better job and only cost some bananas

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

25 tonnes for 10-wheelers.  UK, Australian and Grumpy one's regulations no longer apply here.

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

IIRC in the UK it used to 8 tons load per axle so in this case that would be 24 tons, so it wasn't actually overloaded.

Apparently, both posters appear to have forgotten that they are living in the Fantasy Land known as AMAZING THAILAND and not their home or some other country.  Nobody should compare what happens in Thailand to what takes place elsewhere on the globe because there is a world of difference.

'nuf sed

On 5/11/2020 at 10:31 PM, Wiggy said:

It couldn't have been the brakes as they had failed.

After being hit, maybe the tuk-tuk driver or the truck driver applied the emergency brake just in time to prevent a worse disaster from happening by preventing the truck from hitting the wall.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:
19 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Apparently not...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/57009-weight-limits-for-trucks-on-highways-increase/

25 tonnes for 10-wheelers.  UK, Australian and Grumpy one's regulations no longer apply here.

IIRC in the UK it used to 8 tons load per axle so in this case that would be 24 tons, so it wasn't actually overloaded.

My point was that it was, categorically, not overloaded according to Thai law, and that's what I said.  I've no idea why you think UK laws have any bearing on the situation.

18 hours ago, mrfill said:
19 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Apparently not...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/57009-weight-limits-for-trucks-on-highways-increase/

The regulations don't apply but the figures are broadly similar - UK limit 26 tonnes, Thai limit 25 tonnes.

I know regulations for other countries don't apply, that's what I said because that was my point!

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

After being hit, maybe the tuk-tuk driver or the truck driver applied the emergency brake just in time to prevent a worse disaster from happening by preventing the truck from hitting the wall.

Could well be. More likely the truck as I can’t see a Tuk-Tuk’s brakes stopping something that weighs a few tons, even if empty. 

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Could well be. More likely the truck as I can’t see a Tuk-Tuk’s brakes stopping something that weighs a few tons, even if empty. 

There is another possibility that I forgot to mention in my post.  The tuk-tuk driver may have anticipated the lane change which could have been a created disastrous event and heroically driven his vehicle under the truck but made sure he left the tuk-tuk before the collision took place.

'nuf sed.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:45 AM, webfact said:

carrying 20 tons of industrial wire.

Little wonder he couldn't stop .. the truck is well overloaded hence the overworked brakes .. And the coils of wire are incorrectly secured .. 

• Like 1