Hotels association appeals to PM Prayut for assistance in tackling sector's woes

webfact

Hotels association appeals to PM for assistance in tackling sector's woes

By THE NATION

800_9c337077efe73b5.jpeg?v=1589343924

Thai Hotels Association (THA) has urged Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to come up with stimulus measures for the ailing industry.

The THA held a meeting held last week, together with other ministry executives, THA adviser Surapong Techaruvichit informed.

The association has suggested that local governments hold meetings in hotels, in order to generate business for hotels in Thailand. The THA has urged the government to allocate a budget to provincial and subdistrict administrative organisations to hold such meetings.

The association also wanted the government to tackle hotels operating without licences. The operators must be arrested under the hotel and building control acts, and should be fined up to Bt20,000 to Bt200,000, he said.

“To advertise hotels online, it should be made mandatory to fill an entrepreneur number to filter those with licences from non-licensed ones” he added.

The government also should offer tax incentives to support hotel development or public health renovation, in order to increase hotels’ capacity to deal with Covid-19.

The association also sought suspension of land and building tax payments for the period when hotels have been shut.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387771

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-13

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The association also wanted the government to tackle hotels operating without licences.

not going to happen

Edited by Mavideol

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

The government also should offer tax incentives to support hotel development or public health renovation, in order to increase hotels’ capacity to deal with Covid-19.

on the contrary, some areas already overbuilt with hotels popping every corner, local governments should stop any new hotel construction to control/diminish competition thus allow the existing ones to get some business

So, these hotels made no money or profits over the past, say 5 years?

I am sure they declared all staying guests and submitted a full tax account of it. Not!

Fund yourselves or go under - pick one ya greedy barstewards. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

on the contrary, some areas already overbuilt with hotels popping every corner, local governments should stop any new hotel construction to control/diminish competition thus allow the existing ones to get some business

You had to know that eventually the law of the land was gong to take effect.  The only thing that surprised them was the way it took effect in such a massive form.  I am willing to bet that almost if not all these hotels are owned at least partially by an international chain.  

A government meeting in your hotel is not going to inject enough revenue to keep a hotel going in any way shape or form.

The reason that they are worried about the non-licenced hotels is that they are smaller and have a lower overhead than lets say any of the major chains.

Be a waste of time asking the government for help They are fast running out of cash. Imagine what the wages bill would be for the 1400 Generals and 350,000 men under arms But I do feel for the hotels The business would of been so bad and staff lost their jobs Sad really

1 minute ago, ubon farang said:

Be a waste of time asking the government for help They are fast running out of cash. Imagine what the wages bill would be for the 1400 Generals and 350,000 men under arms But I do feel for the hotels The business would of been so bad and staff lost their jobs Sad really

and I thought it was the contrary, meaning 1,400 (soldiers) men under arms and 350,000 generals

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Which you would think would be the norm... but Thailand is anything but normal.

As for hotels, stop asking for help and start helping yourselves, do some marketing.

Tourism is screwed this year, seminars will be down as companies try to re-coup some money..

13 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and I thought it was the contrary, meaning 1,400 (soldiers) men under arms and 350,000 generals

Might as well be. I think it is amazing how they find jobs for all these Generals? No mean feat i must say. Like Chief of staff, Supreme head of the armed forces, General of the kitchen, i suppose anything will do

• Like 1