Reverse Culture Shock

2 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

No doubt she was happy to see all the jing joes out there lol,there aint too much else to see out that way.

My wife was was totally confused when Ozzies kept asking her how she was going.

Edited by Neeranam

20 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I heard a story long time ago in Samui or Phuket that a western tourist hag tried to "rescue" a farang's own daughter from him in a restaurant!

Familiar story. Long ago in Pattaya I was chatting to some farang new to LOS and eventually he complained about all the farang pedos with young girls walking around and on m'bikes. I had to inform him that they were the farang's daughters. He was so indoctrinated by the lies that he actually believed that pedos were openly with girls in the community.

I took my lovely young Thai GF of the holiday on a tour to Kanchanaburi. Returning there were a couple of middle aged Aussie women and a young farang guy on the bus with us. At the destination the hags made a great show of saying goodbye to the guy on his own and ignoring me. For all they know he was a big monger and just hadn't had a prossie with him on the tour.

I made a big show of saying goodbye to the crones, but they looked the other way.

I've more than one instance of horrible western women on buses, but the consequences of actually doing something about the loathsome biddies dissuades me from gaining the satisfaction.

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

Terrible!  You should have told your wife not to get so jealous... ????

Good one, but at that time I was in London and no way I'd have married a western woman. Looking back I should have thanked the deity every day that I wasn't married and then perhaps the deity would have prevented me marrying a Thai woman. Under the skin they're, IMO, just the same as western women. All on till married and then nada.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was once caught by my mother looking at the bra section of a Kaye's  catalogue :cheesy: 

This wasn't on a return trip from Thailand. 

When I were a lad there wasn't anything as titillating ( pun intended ) as bra catalogues. The best I could do was a magazine ad for shampoo with a rather attractive lass up to her neck in bathwater- red head too, which always makes them better looking. Ever noticed how many red headed actresses there are now? Ooh er.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He never said that, but never let a good urban myth go to waste.

I saw the original press conference. He didn't actually tell people: "inject it" but he suggested it as a cure. He also suggested strong light.

I leave it up to you to look for the video, it should be easy to find.

And that is obviously only one of those thousands of occasions were he demonstrated how stupid/ignorant/crazy he is.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, Lacessit said:

I played in the Scottish Senior Amateur Championship back in 2003. First two days, beautiful weather. Didn't make the cut, caddied for one of my fellow Australians that did. Wind and driving horizontal rain. We both had waterproofs from Australia, both soaked to the skin after four holes.

I remember it was a pretty strong field, and only one player on that final day broke 90 to win.

Ah, the joys of playing golf in the UK, been there and got the 'T' shirt. Can't remember the number of times I've got back to the clubhouse feeling like a drowned rat. Thank goodness for hot showers.

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw the original press conference. He didn't actually tell people: "inject it" but he suggested it as a cure. He also suggested strong light.

I leave it up to you to look for the video, it should be easy to find.

And that is obviously only one of those thousands of occasions were he demonstrated how stupid/ignorant/crazy he is.

You can certainly say that again, but he's very keen on telling his country how wonderful he thinks he is. The guys a moron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 2:46 AM, ColeBOzbourne said:

I was back in the U.S. for two weeks in February, sitting in a parking lot outside of my motorhome, minding my own business, reading a book, when a church group approached me offering to pray for me and give me some food. I politely declined both, several times. After they left I thought, 'I showered this morning and put on clean clothes. Do I really look that bad?'

Can ask them to pray for me on a 1st class upgrade back to LOS. And what kind of Food????

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

60 million people can't all be wrong, despite the wishes of those that voted against him.

4 more years.

What about the 61 million who voted against him?  Were they all wrong then?

He and his cronies continue to dismantlethe useful parts of the US Federal system, and convert others into rubber stamping machines.  I honestly do not think the US would survive another four years.  He has openly said that if everyone gets to vote in November he will lose - anyone who actually believes in democracy should be aghast at that, and rightly so.  I fear what might happen if the Democrats can unite a little bit and win by a small margin of votes in the Electoral College.  WillTrump accept defeat and go?

PH

On 5/17/2020 at 12:12 AM, Cryingdick said:
On 5/14/2020 at 11:48 AM, cmarshall said:

In the last ten years during my occasional visits back to the US I have been shocked by how much physical fear Americans feel.  Train stations didn't used to have constant messages on the loudspeaker to be on the alert for danger of various kinds.  Nor were national guardsnmen in camos with rifles a common sight.  

I found the fake American warmth required in some social situations to be quite offensive, such as a waiter introducing himself by name and gushing with forced friendliness.  I never liked that behavior, but I am now no longer acclimatized to it.

The risk for long-term expats is that eventually we feel homeless wherever we are.  

Let me guess you prefer the Thai smiles? 555

ya the vertical ones

I have travelled extensively to more than 80 countries around the world due, mostly, to my employment.  Having also lived and worked in Belgium, Cyprus, Germany, Hong Kong, Philippines and Thailand, as well as UK, my experience was that I could 'slot in' almost anywhere without much issue, and have never really suffered from reverse culture shock.  The climate, cuisine and culture of Thailand attracted me enough to make it my home but, unfortunately, I was deported to the UK after 5 years, ostensibly for overstaying my visa, due to detention pending a court case after being 'fitted up' by neighbours and RTP.  After nearly 18 months back in the UK, I feel like a 'fish out of water' not being able to adjust to life or settle.  I hate almost every aspect of the climate, cuisine and culture.  Local and non-government organisations, utility companies and people's arrogant selfish attitudes and interactions, including friends and family, are now very alien to me.  Despite the endemic corruption, once I have enough money to clear my name with Immigration/Police and regain a retirement visa, I hope to return to the country that I made my home.             

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

I only long for better days long past and never to return. 

Ditto. I see nothing better in today's western society and much that is worse than between 1960 and 1990. Perhaps some of 1990 t0 2000 was OK, but only those parts when I was in LOS.

I qualify that by saying only for the parts of the world I knew. I can't speak for those parts I did not see.

• Like 1

I get that any time coming back to europe (even after short holyday trips): I am shocked no culture any more. Supposed to sound funny it actually isn´t because in a way from far away after some time I tend to see a few things back in europe as positive and (despite loving Thailand and the thai people) I start to idealize and also think a bit of a change might not hurt. All of that stops immediatly when we arrive in munich (which hasn´t improved but actually is one of the better places). Probably the fault lies in the idea of return tickets ????

Edited by Sparkling
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, Phulublub said:

What about the 61 million who voted against him?  Were they all wrong then?

He and his cronies continue to dismantlethe useful parts of the US Federal system, and convert others into rubber stamping machines.  I honestly do not think the US would survive another four years.  He has openly said that if everyone gets to vote in November he will lose - anyone who actually believes in democracy should be aghast at that, and rightly so.  I fear what might happen if the Democrats can unite a little bit and win by a small margin of votes in the Electoral College.  WillTrump accept defeat and go?

PH

it's called Democracy and Trump won, similar to Bush a few years back. Face it, he was the better of two evils. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

it's called Democracy and Trump won, similar to Bush a few years back. Face it, he was the better of two evils. 

Trumop did indeed get more Electoral College votes.  He did not get a plurality of those who voted voting for him.  That is not his fault - it is the fault of an antiquated system that has not been updated to reflect 200 years of technological advancement.

Had I had a vote in 2016, I fear I might have voted Trump (gulp!).  Not as a positive vote for him, but as a negative vote as "not Hillary".  I would have voted for John MacCain in an instant but he was not, sadly, on the ticket. 

PH

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Trumop did indeed get more Electoral College votes.  He did not get a plurality of those who voted voting for him.  That is not his fault - it is the fault of an antiquated system that has not been updated to reflect 200 years of technological advancement.

Had I had a vote in 2016, I fear I might have voted Trump (gulp!).  Not as a positive vote for him, but as a negative vote as "not Hillary".  I would have voted for John MacCain in an instant but he was not, sadly, on the ticket. 

PH

Yeah, the Democrats are some of the most stupid people around if they chose Hilary and Biden!! They only have themselves to blame for losing. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yeah, the Democrats are some of the most stupid people around if they chose Hilary and Biden!! They only have themselves to blame for losing. 

After seeing the results of the last three plus years, I think I would rather have stupid than a racist, corrupt, lying fraud.

I also would not put Biden in anywhere near the same league of offput as HRC.

PH

On 5/15/2020 at 2:22 PM, possum1931 said:

Look at all these women of a certain faith where you can only see their eyes, don't tell me that's not scary.

It's actually quite sexy. I live in saudi. You'd be amazed the lengths some women go to to make up their eyes. I'm talking about the young ones obviously. There are even some where they cover completely and you don't see anything. 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, possum1931 said:

Look at all these women of a certain faith where you can only see their eyes, don't tell me that's not scary.

Why is that scarey? Are you frightened by ladies' eyes?

On 5/19/2020 at 2:14 AM, Encore said:

Despite the endemic corruption, once I have enough money to clear my name with Immigration/Police and regain a retirement visa, I hope to return to the country that I made my home. 

What's wrong with Cambodia?

Nobody is forcing you to stay in the UK.

I can't understand the mentality of the 'Thailand or nothing' brigade.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

It's actually quite sexy. I live in saudi. You'd be amazed the lengths some women go to to make up their eyes. I'm talking about the young ones obviously. There are even some where they cover completely and you don't see anything. 

To be fair, the burkha leaves a lot to the imagination (possibly no bad thing) but sometimes it leaves so much to the imagination that you have to imagine there are two under there.  Sometimes number beats quantity

Geez, loads of negativity on this topic about home countries. I can only speak for the uk, but I love going back there after 20 years away. 

1) Road and rail (especially) infrastructure is great. London transport system sh...s all over Bangkok. So many more lines, night services, 24 hour buses and so on. Inter City rail services are also so much better. Why someone said infrastructure in the uk was bad compared to Thailand is beyond me. 

2) People in the uk are very friendly and polite. As my wife said, even the beggars say thank you. 

3) Everyone speaks English, it might not be their first language but everyone speaks English. Doing things, finding things out, asking for help is a pleasant experience. 

4) eating out is good value, especially now what with the low pound, and choice is plentiful. As an example you can get a decent meal at an Ask Italian for 10gbp, or even a 3 course meal at French Cote for 15gbp.

5) Booze is loads cheaper, especially wine, loads of choice, pubs in the uk are often cheaper than Thailand. I don't need a gogo with my beer. 

6) There are some great looking women around in the uk. I suspect its more the fact that they don't look at over 70s!! lol. Only last year I was in a bar late at night, got talking to a 20 something bird, she started stroking my tackle, and then informed me she was going to f*** me so hard tonight. 

7) what's wrong with UK weather. I wouldn't want it all year round, but I really enjoyed some crispy temps in Jan when I visited. And summer temps are pleasant too. You can actually do things without sweating constantly. As the saying goes, there is no bad weather, only bad clothing. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand too, lived there for many years before, and then left again for work. But I prefer to see the good points in both places. Don't think I'd enjoy staying anywhere all year round really. Change is good IMO. Makes you appreciate everything else so much more. 

• Like 1