Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Any Mail arriving from USA?

I sent something important to US by EMS 2 weeks ago. Tracking shows it leaving Swampy outward express office then nothing more, and it has nto arrived at destination in US. No idea where it is or if it will ever arrive.

As for inbound - hot or miss, dribs and drabs.

• Like 1
On 6/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, Sheryl said:

I sent something important to US by EMS 2 weeks ago. Tracking shows it leaving Swampy outward express office then nothing more, and it has nto arrived at destination in US. No idea where it is or if it will ever arrive.

As for inbound - hot or miss, dribs and drabs.

Thanks for your report. Please let us know when it gets there. ????

fyi... I had a bunch of small packages mailed from the U.S. on various days in the first week of June via airmail. None of them had arrived until yesterday, when all half dozen or so of them showed up here in BKK on the same day.

The normal delivery time for my US to BKK packages via airmail is about two weeks. In this case, for whatever reasons, the end to end timing took about a month.

Still missing the only package among the group that likely would get flagged for any customs duty or VAT. That one was sent via USPS Priority Mail Intl instead of regular airmail, and still hasn't surfaced yet. Though I'm guessing I may get a duty due notice sometime in the coming week.

• Like 1

I tried to mail a letter to the US this last week, after July 1 and the post office still told me that they only have EMS. So I don't know if that is correct, PiB. It might be the locals here out in the countryside who are running the post office. They don't seem to be the quickest doing their job. Still waiting for that normal world.

6 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

I tried to mail a letter to the US this last week, after July 1 and the post office still told me that they only have EMS. So I don't know if that is correct, PiB. It might be the locals here out in the countryside who are running the post office. They don't seem to be the quickest doing their job. Still waiting for that normal world.

And your local post office was right.  If you want to mail a document like a letter they only have EMS.  No can do regular letter by airmail....must use EMS.  Now if your want to mail a "parcel" by Parcel Post Air you can.  Take another look at my post which include the Thai Post Office snapshot of current services.

2 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

71 days and counting.????

Yes, I think I'll stipulate that mail sent say before ~ mid-June is "on a boat". My Stimulus sent ~ May 1 - 15-ish remains undelivered.

I was specifically asking about items mailed from the U.S. more recently.

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, I think I'll stipulate that mail sent say before ~ mid-June is "on a boat". My Stimulus sent ~ May 1 - 15-ish remains undelivered.

I was specifically asking about items mailed from the U.S. more recently.

Same same. A letter may get dropped through the crack but over all not a chance. Airlines have cut back or canceled service to the USA. If you have to send or receive you need to use FedEx they deliver in about 4 days. I have two items that before  Covid 19 were sent by air mail in 7 days. These items will now be sent FedEx. Even Thai Post on ems is taken 15 days to the states where before it was 1 week.

Edited by khwaibah
2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

My question was specific to airmail (1 oz/$1.20), usa to thl.

There have been a few recent reports in this thread reporting 10 - 15 days delivery.

Hence my question if this seems reasonable to expect now. 

Not even. Use FedEx until this is sorted.

Although have received occasional direct mail from USA in couple of weeks it still appears to be a mess and Blue Cross insurance was using Jersey and some place in middle east to drop mail and just get one from January along with others from April and May (based on contents - although none have dated postmarks) so that appears to be an even worse choice.  

• Thanks 1

For me no mail in six months and now getting emails from various agencies that my mail is being returned to them as undeliverable. My local post office said because the delivery person can't read English. So spent the time changing all my mail to go to a remailer located in the U.S. and have mail sent by DHL, UPS or FEDX. Thai postal now is worthless.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

My local post office said because the delivery person can't read English.

Have they confirmed unbelievable stamps are from Thailand?  Have not had any issues getting mail once it makes it to Thailand - the problems I have had over the years has always been from US Mail system sending to the wrong country and currently just getting here even if they do understand Thailand is not an island in the Caribbean someplace.

• Thanks 1

From 2017 to now I have only received 2 notices from the SSA to my address in Thailand. Numerous phone calls have been made to Baltimore over this subject and it is still not resolved. My local Thai Post Office and mail career read english. This past November I received just my second notice of any kind from SSA and it was the second notice of the R U ALIVE. I sent it back EMS for 880 baht and tracked it 7 days it took. 

Edited by khwaibah
On 7/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Still missing the only package among the group that likely would get flagged for any customs duty or VAT. That one was sent via USPS Priority Mail Intl instead of regular airmail, and still hasn't surfaced yet. Though I'm guessing I may get a duty due notice sometime in the coming week.

Just an update on this. My USPS Priority mail international package arrived a few days after my above post on July 4. So basically it took a full month from departing Calif. to arriving here, which is about double the normal time. 

But at least it did arrive, and to my surprise, a package valued at $100 for customs purposes wasn't even stopped/flagged for customs duty. It arrived marked with the small package duty exemption mark, normally reserved for packages valued at 1500 baht and under. The package was an old, used laptop.

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have they confirmed unbelievable stamps are from Thailand?  Have not had any issues getting mail once it makes it to Thailand - the problems I have had over the years has always been from US Mail system sending to the wrong country and currently just getting here even if they do understand Thailand is not an island in the Caribbean someplace.

Some of them were before the mail stopped from the US because of travel restrictions but doesn't some mail get in by surface.

3 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Some of them were before the mail stopped from the US because of travel restrictions but doesn't some mail get in by surface.

Normally all mail is by air (even is not sent air) and believe most is still getting here by air.  I have over the years had a number of envelops that had made the rounds in different countries before getting to Thailand however from the postmarks on them.

36 minutes ago, rascalman said:

The last two days I finally got some which is good! Got more due in!

Seems to be a "lucky dip" some arrive, some don't, I get a lot of mail from US, no rhyme or reason to the delays, seems different countries take turns in holding, once it arrives in Bangkok, sometimes they hold it - sometimes not! customs don't seem to be bothered with lower value item (~100 USD), all we can do is be patient! ????

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1