A new shopping experience awaits patrons as malls set to open this Sunday

webfact

My question is on which super secure server is my super secure info stored? Is all the info in my phone mined by the government or can it be accessed by a hacker? Who pays when the system is breached? Asking for a friend.

My question is where is this elusive app? Good luck to anyone that has a need to go to a participating venue and wants to prepare for this by downloading their app.  Not one single report about this app, be it from Thai news channels or Government departments (even the one that designed and are promoting it), contains a link to any play store from where it might be downloaded or any other information so you can "just simply use the bar code reader" as they suggest.  Searching for it turns up jack too, and the site that business owners are supposed to use also has zero useful info for the customer / user end.  Bit late in the day given it's supposed to start at 6am tomorrow. The 6Ps principle  'Proper planning prevents pi55 poor performance' seems to have passed them by!!

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mr mr said:

ps....are you so sure your phone was made in canada ? 

No.  Many components in a phone made in Korea for example, come from CHINA.  It too years to allow the CHINESE to take over countries and the supply chain, so it will take time to throw these &*$&$&$&87  a holes out.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Like they'd say in the old country...  Toughsky poopsky.

When you load this app, who is going to make sure you scan in when you walk into a store?  Store people?  The same people who ignore you because you are white and they don't speak English?

It's going to be bedlam and disaster.  I can't wait to see the crowds gather at the doors as the nudnik's stand there downloading the app and waiting for it to install before being allowed into the mall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grantbkk said:

My question is on which super secure server is my super secure info stored? Is all the info in my phone mined by the government or can it be accessed by a hacker? Who pays when the system is breached? Asking for a friend.

I'm sure it will all be stored on a server in CHINA.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

My question is where is this elusive app? Good luck to anyone that has a need to go to a participating venue and wants to prepare for this by downloading their app.  Not one single report about this app, be it from Thai news channels or Government departments (even the one that designed and are promoting it), contains a link to any play store from where it might be downloaded or any other information so you can "just simply use the bar code reader" as they suggest.  Searching for it turns up jack too, and the site that business owners are supposed to use also has zero useful info for the customer / user end.  Bit late in the day given it's supposed to start at 6am tomorrow. The 6Ps principle  'Proper planning prevents pi55 poor performance' seems to have passed them by!!

It's not an app that has to be installed on your phone. You simply use your phone to scan a QR code.

20200516_154813.jpg

7 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

The English version of what?

Register on website?

Put QR code in front of the shop?

Manage congestion in the shop?

Check the score on the website?

I am not a tech guy, all this doesn't mean anything to me...

16 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Register on website?

Put QR code in front of the shop?

Manage congestion in the shop?

Check the score on the website?

I am not a tech guy, all this doesn't mean anything to me...

The website that establishments should use to register is currently available in Thai only.

8 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

The website that establishments should use to register is currently available in Thai only.

Even better...so either the foreigners are not admitted inside, or they can go incognito (which I seriously doubt)...

1 hour ago, nrasmussen said:

It's not an app that has to be installed on your phone. You simply use your phone to scan a QR code.

20200516_154813.jpg

At first I thought that might be the case.  Then after checking numerous Thai news sites they constantly refer the 'the app'.  "Users of the app will be notified if there has been anyone infected" and "Users of the app will be able to check how busy the venue is" (kinda bloody pointless if you're stood outside and can see).  Those numerous references made me think they were actually referring to an APP.  Still not quite sure how using a barcode scanner that would connect to a web based service will provide that service with your phone number but I suppose it must be possible.  

Be far far less confusing if they actually described it correctly, using appropriate terminology, rather than everywhere calling it an 'APP'.  If it's an app it's an app (and needs downloading and installing).  If it's not an app (as it appears in this case) it's NOT an app and there is nothing to download and install, you can merely use ANY bar code scanner app that you may have on your phone that will, I suspect, connect you to the web based service.  It'll be interesting to see how automated it is once the connection is made, whether it's all automated in terms of number capture (and even check in / out).  Hopefully there's little or no data input required, Government sites requiring any form of data entry don't have too great a track record here being either very slow or just plain not working.  I wouldn't want to be taking odds on how long the service lasts before it goes under with system overload.  Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Even better...so either the foreigners are not admitted inside, or they can go incognito (which I seriously doubt)...

I don't see what the language of the website that establishments use to register has to do with who are admitted inside.

2 minutes ago, SooKee said:

At first I thought that might be the case.  Then after checking numerous Thai news sites they constantly refer the 'the app'.  "Users of the app will be notified if there has been anyone infected" and "Users of the app will be able to check how busy the venue is" (kinda bloody pointless if you're stood outside and can see).  Those numerous references made me think they were actually referring to an APP.  Still not quite sure how using a barcode scanner that would connect to a web based service will provide that service with your phone number but I suppose it must be possible.  

Be far far less confusing if they actually described it correctly, using appropriate terminology, rather than everywhere calling it an 'APP'.  If it's an app it's an app (and needs downloading and installing).  If it's not an app (as it appears in this case) it's NOT an app and there is nothing to download and install, you can merely use ANY bar code scanner app that you may have on your phone that will, I suspect, connect you to the web based service.  It'll be interesting to see how automated it is once the connection is made, whether it's all automated in terms of number capture (and even check in / out).  Hopefully there's little or no data input required, Government sites requiring any form of data entry don't have too great a track record here being either very slow or just plain not working.  I wouldn't want to be taking odds on how long the service lasts before it goes under with system overload.  Time will tell.

I hope I won't need this "launching code for the space shuttle" to go in a 7 Eleven, or I will soon starve to death!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SooKee said:

They know that calling it an "app" was a poor choice. That's why they now use the term "platform".

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Would you rather Thailand be more like the inept U.S. and be approaching 100,000 dead and who knows how many more sick?

LOS, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam low numbers are because of where they are..If you say the USA is inept, then you must say most of the World are....

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Would you rather Thailand be more like the inept U.S. and be approaching 100,000 dead and who knows how many more sick?

I think my comment went completely over your head.

The Thai government says there are only 56(?) deaths.

You don't test anyone, of course you will have no infections.

You declare all deaths as being pneumonia or whatever you can think about, you will have no covid deaths as well.

But maybe they are right in that, because from what I read there are no covid deaths, because they die from underlying conditions.

It's just a matter of calling a spade a spade

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grantbkk said:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/5787-reader-suppose-you-were-an-idiot-and-suppose-you-were

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”  Mark Twain

To paraphrase good ol' Sam: "Now reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a Thai programmer. But I repeat myself." It's possible to graduate with a computer degree from a Thai university without ever actually touching Oracle or MySQL or MS SQL Server or whatever, to actually create an actual database, however tiny and simple. So how can you have any expectations whatsoever of database security or integrity (in fact, one of the first things you are told in class is to completely turn off relational integrity) against hacking, if you can't even expect a working, functional database from such a graduate? Isn't everything produced by Thai immigration overwhelming proof of that?

Suppose that the design of this new toy didn't require breaking in? Suppose it actively published all the information it had on every infected person in Thailand to the Internet, for the convenience of its programmers. You, and any of your family and friends also infected, would be famous!!! Wouldn't that be great!?! And all at no cost to you.  Oh, other than that everyone you know would run away at sight screaming "Disease! Plague! Infection! Run for your life!" Well, OK, they do that now at Anutin's urging, but .....

20 minutes ago, transam said:

LOS, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam low numbers are because of where they are..If you say the USA is inept, then you must say most of the World are....

That's speculation on your part... Leaving aside issues of levels of testing and government reporting policies, I don't think anyone really knows why those particular SE Asian countries came out with relatively little COVID loss of life, as best as we know.

They all were teeming with Chinese prior to the virus outbreak, and yet... Popular theory, something about the weather. Which, AFAIK, remains totally unverified and unsupported by any actual scientific/medical findings.

PS - Some parts of the world right now are vastly more inept that others.

That's speculation on your part... Leaving aside issues of levels of testing and government reporting policies, I don't think anyone really knows why those particular SE Asian countries came out with relatively little COVID loss of life, as best as we know.

They all were teeming with Chinese prior to the virus outbreak, and yet... Popular theory, something about the weather. Which, AFAIK, remains totally unverified and unsupported by any actual scientific/medical findings.

I look at the facts out there and ponder, you can call my thoughts speculation but my speculation is from the zillions of stuff I have read/listened too, and no, not from newspapers or Gretta....????

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

If you want to look at the Android version, try Google Play:

<a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thaialert.app&hl=en">MorChana - หมอชนะ - Apps on Google Play</a>

Note that it is sometimes referenced in English as two words "Mor Chana", and sometimes run together without spaces like a Thai sentence is, "MorChana". You can also search for its Thai language name "หมอชนะ". The initial "H" is not pronounced (it shifts the consonant class of the "M"), and the letter "r" in the English name is an artifact. Warning: the Google Play page is mostly in Thai, but at least if you open it in Chrome the browser should offer to translate it.

I'm sorry, I don't have any Apple equipment, but you should be able to find it in the Itunes store by its application name.

The way of counting matters a lot.

Here and in many other countries, they count people who die OF covid 19, whereas in Western Europe and the US they count people who die WITH covid 19, in some cases without having even having tested them for the virus (New York added more than 3,000 deaths in one day using this "technique").

In other words, the West is boosting its numbers in order to justify its lockdowns and their consequences.

Just look at the amazing difference in deaths between Spain or Italy, and Russia, all of them having similar high numbers of cases.

How is that possible?

Are the Russian doctors so much better, or are they simply counting differently?

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In other words, the West is boosting its numbers in order to justify its lockdowns and their consequences.

Most medical experts in the U.S. that I've been reading on seem to generally agree that the official U.S. stats probably significantly undercount both actual cases and COVID deaths.

In part because in the later case, a lot of jurisdictions weren't doing COVID testing on corpses...because they didn't have, and still don't, enough testing capability to even test a fraction of the living that they needed to be testing.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

I look at the facts out there and ponder, you can call my thoughts speculation but my speculation is from the zillions of stuff I have read/listened too, and no, not from newspapers or Gretta....????

When you can point to some actual evidence or proof... then I'll pay attention.  You know something happened (apparently). But linking what happened to a particular cause is an entirely different matter.