Thailand reports 7 COVID-19 cases, all from overseas returnees

webfact

Seven new Covid-19 cases from state quarantine centres

By The Nation

800_f3c546626d4bd51.png?v=1589521748

Thailand reported seven new cases but there were no deaths over a 24-hour period, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said on Friday (May 15).

Cumulative Covid-19 cases increased to 3,025, of whom 2,854 have beem cured and discharged, 115 are undergoing treatment in hospitals and the death toll remains 56.

All the new cases were found in state quarantine facilities, he said. 

On Wednesday, the CCSA had reported zero new cases and one new case on Thursday. 

The second phase of the easing of lockdown restrictions will begin in the next few days. The first phase of easing from May 3 has not led to a feared second wave of infections.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387901

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand reports 7 new coronavirus cases, all from overseas

s2.reutersmedia copy.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported seven new coronavirus cases on Friday, while the number of deaths remained unchanged at 56.

The new cases were all patients who arrived from Pakistan last week and have been in state quarantine, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

Thailand has confirmed a total of 3,025 cases since the coronavirus outbreak started in January and earlier in the week reported zero new daily cases for the first time in two months.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-15

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

The new cases were all patients who arrived from Pakistan last week

and I thought all airports were closed and no flights in or out (besides transit flights)

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many people were tested in all the various provinces nationwide yesterday?

To return 7 positives from all the test results of the whole kingdom is almost fantasy territory, unless of course they arent daily testing routinely which would make a mockery of the daily figures.

Edited by sapson

9 minutes ago, sapson said:

Maybe they came by sea and were picked up by the navy hence the need for submarines for possible future preventive measures.

I wonder how many people were tested in all the various provinces nationwide yesterday?

To return 7 positives from all the test results of the whole kingdom is almost fantasy territory. unless of course they arent daily testing routinely which would make a mockery of the daily figures.

Or, maybe they have the same reporting problems with Covid 19 as they do with pneumonia.

Yesterday it was reported that there were 50 pneumonia deaths this year. However, seems that death certificate data is actually 137 times as high (even if Bangkok data is excluded).

That wild understatement of pneumonia deaths is made with no mounds of dead bodies, reports of overwhelmed hospitals, or social media reports from common Thai people to refute it. 

If they are off by the same factor in reporting Covid 19 deaths, could mean that while they report 56, the number might be more like 7,672.

Is there a reason why they can be that far off in regards to pneumonia with no mounds of dead bodies, reports of overwhelmed hospitals, or social media reports from common Thai people but not in regards to Covid 19

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

I have an image of these state quarantine centres being like the buildings in "The Walking Dead", quiet and peaceful on the outside, but full of growling infected creatures once you open the door. Brrrrrrrr!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I have an image of these state quarantine centres being like the buildings in "The Walking Dead", quiet and peaceful on the outside, but full of growling infected creatures once you open the door. Brrrrrrrr!

With red flashing lights and only emergency back up lights lit, with all of the corners darkened....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

With red flashing lights and only emergency back up lights lit, with all of the corners darkened....

This was posted about 3 weeks ago.

Not bad at all

i haven't talked to one person who was tested.  We are living in a time where if you test, it's only a lose-lose.  i can't wait until the world gets the antibody test.

Oh look, 60% of the world HAD Covid before........interesting

even if you are fit, you probably have a 2% chance of DYING.

I think if you can survive until Halloween, Covid won't be the thing that kills you.

28 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

i haven't talked to one person who was tested.  We are living in a time where if you test, it's only a lose-lose.  i can't wait until the world gets the antibody test.

Oh look, 60% of the world HAD Covid before........interesting

even if you are fit, you probably have a 2% chance of DYING.

I think if you can survive until Halloween, Covid won't be the thing that kills you.

We're getting those tests now...but, they are complicated to interpret. See this interesting article...

https://qz.com/1848674/how-to-interpret-the-specificity-sensitivity-of-antibody-tests/

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

no one will say or do anything, we need a youngster who does not know any better to open there mouth and embarrass this regime....

So you want a person, or youngster, who knows enough to embarrass this regime but isn't afraid, or doesn't know enough to be afraid, of being sent to the gulag. You've already said that such a person doesn't exist.

I wonder if any of the adherents of the idea that the real numbers can't be a lot higher than reported (as there would be mounds of bodies that couldn't be hidden and Thai people would be posting on social media) can offer a compelling argument of why the same thing wouldn't be true of similar low numbers being reported for pneumonia deaths when the numbers are much higher (and, with no mounds of dead bodies or social media posts from Thai people). 

Edited by JCP108

Hmmh, I'm late to the party today, all my comments have been stolen.

Well, just to make a record, pneumonia @ HDC is at 12090. Benchmark on evening of 6th was 11,170. I have a feeling they batch them towards the end of the week as it's Friday, cleaning up the table - day.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I wonder if any of the adherents of the idea that the real numbers can't be a lot higher than reported

Without agreeing to being such an adherent, it may be because the Thai medical establishment is not too concerned about dealing with persons with pneumonia, but they would be putting their health and possibly very lives at risk in pretending that patients that they know or suspect may be COVID positive are just vanilla pneumonia patients.

11 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Without agreeing to being such an adherent, it may be because the Thai medical establishment is not too concerned about dealing with persons with pneumonia, but they would be putting their health and possibly very lives at risk in pretending that patients that they know or suspect may be COVID positive are just vanilla pneumonia patients.

I was asking a different question.

In the past, when some of us have wondered if the numbers of people actually dying in Thailand might be much higher than reported, several people have asserted that the numbers reported must be close to the truth because if they were low and the actual numbers very much higher, there would be mounds of dead bodies which couldn't be hidden and/or Thai people directly connected with these cases of dying people would be posting things on social media which would alert us to the problem being much bigger than reported. So, no mounds of dead bodies and no such reports mean it necessarily is the case that the low numbers reported are close to the truth.

But,

yesterday it was reported that only 50 people have died this year from pneumonia while the HDC data referenced in the post above reports that 12k people have died from pneumonia since Oct. 1, 2019. If you pro-rate the dead from pneumonia during that period to count for 7k+ for 2020, that would mean the actual dead from pneumonia is about 130-some times higher. And....no mounds of dead bodies or social media reports. We know of the discrepancy due to the HDC data. 

So, the question is:

How can it be true for pneumonia but not Covid 19?

Put another way: 

Could it be the case that, like pneumonia, the number of dead from Covid 19 is also about 130-something times what is being reported (even with no mounds of dead bodies)?

If not, why?

4 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

and/or Thai people directly connected with these cases of dying people would be posting things on social media

As far as the Thai medical establishment goes, that's the question I answered. What you are really asking for is to prove a negative case.

Edited by SkyFax

8 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

As far as the Thai medical establishment goes, that's the question I answered. What you are really asking for is to prove a negative case.

No. I don't think I am.

In the past when people on here have suggested the numbers infected and dead from Covid 19 might be much, much higher than reported, multiple posters on here have aggressively asserted that that could not be possible due to a lack of mounds of bodies and social media reports. 

A low number for pneumonia deaths was reported when the actual number is much higher and in the absence of mounds of bodies and social media reports about it. 

I am asking: Why would the assertion about Covid 19 reports not also be true for reports of dead by pneumonia?

27 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I was asking a different question.

In the past, when some of us have wondered if the numbers of people actually dying in Thailand might be much higher than reported, several people have asserted that the numbers reported must be close to the truth because if they were low and the actual numbers very much higher, there would be mounds of dead bodies which couldn't be hidden and/or Thai people directly connected with these cases of dying people would be posting things on social media which would alert us to the problem being much bigger than reported. So, no mounds of dead bodies and no such reports mean it necessarily is the case that the low numbers reported are close to the truth.

But,

yesterday it was reported that only 50 people have died this year from pneumonia while the HDC data referenced in the post above reports that 12k people have died from pneumonia since Oct. 1, 2019. If you pro-rate the dead from pneumonia during that period to count for 7k+ for 2020, that would mean the actual dead from pneumonia is about 130-some times higher. And....no mounds of dead bodies or social media reports. We know of the discrepancy due to the HDC data. 

So, the question is:

How can it be true for pneumonia but not Covid 19?

Put another way: 

Could it be the case that, like pneumonia, the number of dead from Covid 19 is also about 130-something times what is being reported (even with no mounds of dead bodies)?

If not, why?

I believe that it comes down to what I have stated before, and unfortunately been summarily dispatched by the believers that there would be mounds of dead bodies if this was true.  The facts are the facts, many have died from Pneumonia and have never been tested for Covid.  Many have died at home and been cremated within 3 days without ever an autopsy being performed.  I just found out today that a 4th relative of my ex-wife passed away yesterday from some type of respiratory illness in Si That, which is in Udon Thani, she died at 64 and at home.  Only went to the clinic just like the other family members that passed away in Late February after being here in Bangkok for the Chinese new year.  Her death was not a surprise as she had been ill with a fever and such for the past 3 weeks after attending another families funeral for there family member.  Its not hard to believe the numbers are not being tallied daily as it takes a few days for the local Phu Yai to get the information to the Amphur and then to the main office in Udon before it then gets here to the government HQ and added in.  As much as some folks want to believe that stuff like this would be all over social media and such, I have to say from my experiences that it is not always true, and folks are very private after a death, and even before, few folks are allowed to visit except for close family.......Take it for what it is.  I don't know what the numbers really are and I am sure the Government, with there games and charades, probably is not 100% sure, but they continue to deny a problem exists and that people are dying.  You can not have it both ways.  My ex-wife's family works for the government and they are tight lipped on anything that could get them in trouble....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You can not have it both ways.  

Apparently in here one can have it both ways...roundly criticizing anyone who doubts the Covid 19 reports though falling silent when asked why the same principle doesn't apply to other medical issues (say, pneumonia). 

I asked this question yesterday and didn't get any answers then, either. 

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

This was posted about 3 weeks ago.

Not bad at all

More like this Mate 

Buriram is a real fun place now. But sadly the old man in charge has gone rabid now that his great stadium and racetrack as well as his buddies' hotels will stay empty for the next couple of years.

Edited by Boomer6969