Restaurants and No Alcohol - What is the Logic (If Any)

Thomas J

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Perhaps but it's partly a cultural issue. You need to look around you at how Thais socialize and how alcohol plays a part in that. I agree you could introduce other rules but allowing restaurants to serve alcohol makes it a little bit more difficult. It doesn't mean that I agree with it but I can see the thinking.

KhoNiaw

That still makes no sense.  "if" they are worried about large groups then you ban the gathering of large groups.  Not allowing restaurants to serve alcohol with meals makes about as much sense as banning them from selling Tom Yum soup or chicken pattay because doing so 'MIGHT" encourage people to gather in large groups.   That is like banning bamboo poles because people MIGHT use them to beat each other or banning bags because people might use them to go into stores and steal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

KhoNiaw

That still makes no sense.  "if" they are worried about large groups then you ban the gathering of large groups.  Not allowing restaurants to serve alcohol with meals makes about as much sense as banning them from selling Tom Yum soup or chicken pattay because doing so 'MIGHT" encourage people to gather in large groups.   That is like banning bamboo poles because people MIGHT use them to beat each other or banning bags because people might use them to go into stores and steal. 

I'm only explaining the thinking.  I know you don't get it but you're only looking at this from your own perspective.
I can assure you that most of my Thai friends would not be tempted to get together at a restaurant solely for a Tom Yum party. If there's alcohol available it's different. I agree you can ban large gatherings. What they're doing is taking the simplest route and not giving restaurants or people going there any leeway. The gatherings I've seen this week are groups of friends getting together to drink, and there's food too. So I'd say there is some kind of rationale behind the ban, even if it's not logic a that you agree with. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Sir I will lay money on betting your a reformed raging alcoholic.........And now need to save the world to make up for all the years of your life you drank away...

How much are you willing to bet? To see whether it's worth to tell you I've never in my life had any alcohol, even from mouthwash...

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

Some people who have a couple of drinks get belligerent if they are not allowed to have more... many many get sloppy and spit when they are drinking... 

and if you look at the crime reports for farang and all people here, most occur at 3 am and involve too much booze...

I know most people can contain themselves and enjoy a drink with a meal w/o getting stupid, but I guess this is a case of the few ruining things for the many... 

No, no, no!  we are not talking about 3am the curfew is 10 PM why no drinking until 10pm?  the other parts of your post is misleading as no one can stay out after 10pm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No, no, no!  we are not talking about 3am the curfew is 10 PM why no drinking until 10pm?  the other parts of your post is misleading as no one can stay out after 10pm.

Just eliminate the 3 am part.. drunks want more and can get belligerent if they are denied - - they also get rather sloppy and stumbling no matter what time of day... I would hate to be seated next to a loud sloppy spitting repetitive drunk... surely you have seen this type? 

not to be confused w/people who can and do enjoy a drink w/a meal. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, kenk24 said:

Just eliminate the 3 am part.. drunks want more and can get belligerent if they are denied - - they also get rather sloppy and stumbling no matter what time of day... I would hate to be seated next to a loud sloppy spitting repetitive drunk... surely you have seen this type? 

not to be confused w/people who can and do enjoy a drink w/a meal. 

I can say I have never sat next to a sloppy spitting 'type' in my fav Italian restaurant! if I did I'd walk out. You rightly pointed out in your other post unsocial behaviors usually starts after midnight and mostly around the 3am as YOU pointed out. As I am usually tucked up in bed around 11 I see no relevance. 

• Like 1