Thai marriage void in Britain?

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

If you don't report your marriage in your own country, then no one there will know you are married. You are legally married, but no one will know, including the tax office... so you can pretend you aren't married in your home country, and even marry again if you wanted to and as long as no one complains, there wouldn't be problems.

No problems?  Apart from those actions being illegal. that is.

15 hours ago, glegolo said:

For me, I am swedish.. I am married in Thailand and I am NOT married in Sweden.... That is until I mail over a marriage-certificate to swedish tax-department who then will register the marriage....

Loads of swedish men är married here in Thailand but NOT in Sweden... (these men never send over their marrypapers to Sweden) But tecnicly I guess it is like most have pointed out already.... marry in Thailand and you are married in UK....

glegolo

See Section B in this article...

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17441048.2019.1645972

B. The main rule on recognition of foreign marriages

Just like in most other countries, the fundamental principle of Swedish private international law has been for many decades and still is that a marriage solemnised abroad in accordance with foreign law is valid in Sweden if it is valid in the country where it was concluded.

55 minutes ago, sead said:

I thought you only needed to register it at the Swedish embassy in Bkk

That was NOT the case when I go married back in 2008. It was exactly like I wrote here.. How it is today have no idea.. But I checked our embassy webpage, and could NOT find anything related to "register a thai marriage at the embassy", sorry. But maybe you who brought it up, cn try to work on it, and find what you are claiming....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

38 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

See Section B in this article...

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17441048.2019.1645972

B. The main rule on recognition of foreign marriages

Just like in most other countries, the fundamental principle of Swedish private international law has been for many decades and still is that a marriage solemnised abroad in accordance with foreign law is valid in Sweden if it is valid in the country where it was concluded.

AND?????? Why direct it at me????

glegolo

11 hours ago, Maybole said:

I understood that any translation had to be confirmed by the thai foreign office.

You are thinking the other way around. If you marry in UK and have your English language marriage cert translated to Thai, you need it certified by the MFA for use in Thailand.

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

AND?????? Why direct it at me????

glegolo

You said this, that is why...

"For me, I am swedish.. I am married in Thailand and I am NOT married in Sweden...."

You may choose to hide the fact that you're married in Thailand from the Swedish authorities but, apparently, that does not mean that your Thai marriage would not be recognised as valid in Sweden if you declared it.   As with most countries, if you are legally married in one country then you're married in all of them.

I would imagine that, even in Sweden, claiming to be single in order to obtain some pecuniary advantage, or any other advantage (why else would someone make that false claim), would be illegal if you would not be eligible for that benefit if married.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

I got married by signing the papers at local gov office here with my Thai wife . 20 mins done and that was it . Had actual wedding party etc a week later. I have not went to the office in scotland to register it and as far as I have been told and am aware from looking into it I am not legally married anywhere apart from here ! 
One wife is hard enough work so don’t think I will be looking for another in uk ! ????

You are legally married. Simple. No need to go to any offices in Scotland. You are legally married under UK law. Who ever told you otherwise is talking rubbish.

That said, your description of the process you went through, "local gov office 20 minutes done", sounds a little sketchy.

18 hours ago, glegolo said:

I am sure, I am swedish and I know.... The only thing needed to get my marriage registrered in Sweden, was for me to mail over an un-translated thai-marriage-certificate...

glegolo

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

12 hours ago, torturedsole said:

The fact is your legally married both here in Thailand and in Sweden. 

What your saying is to register the fact that you are legally married you need to. 

As you would  if you married a Thai outside of Thailand here

Edited by fourpack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, puchooay said:

You are legally married. Simple. No need to go to any offices in Scotland. You are legally married under UK law. Who ever told you otherwise is talking rubbish.

That said, your description of the process you went through, "local gov office 20 minutes done", sounds a little sketchy.

Not sketchy. Fill in a couple of forms sign a couple of things.

Married. ????

Isn't it the case that if you have your marriage at Thai Embassy overseas, it is not in the normal Thai 'system' and upon returning to Thailand, you are supposed to go and get it registered into the normal Amphur

• Like 1

Is nobody reading the title of the OP ?

An official Thai marriage is NOT void in Britain, that is the answer to the OP's question. 

It is valid and does not NEED to be registered, but you should inform HMRC (see their website) if you still have ties with the UK.

The most important thing is to update your UK will, as marriage invalidates all former wills.

Full Stop.

you are stil married in the UK. if you wish to get a UK spouse visa  or get a free schengen visa (till 31.12.2020 at least)then you will have to go through a number of hops. for the schengen visa you will need a translated and notarised copy of your marriage certificate. For uk you need that as well as the income requirement, the nhs fee and a certificate fromthe local authority where you will bw living to affirm that the premises are suitable aaand not overcrowded. if you are renting you need permission form your landlord.she will have to take an interview with the consulate or the visa centre and he english language ability tested.

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You said this, that is why...

"For me, I am swedish.. I am married in Thailand and I am NOT married in Sweden...."

You may choose to hide the fact that you're married in Thailand from the Swedish authorities but, apparently, that does not mean that your Thai marriage would not be recognised as valid in Sweden if you declared it.   As with most countries, if you are legally married in one country then you're married in all of them.

I would imagine that, even in Sweden, claiming to be single in order to obtain some pecuniary advantage, or any other advantage (why else would someone make that false claim), would be illegal if you would not be eligible for that benefit if married.

You quoted the beginning of my post, and forgot about the last ending part of the very same post;

"But tecnicly I guess it is like most have pointed out already.... marry in Thailand and you are married in UK...."

glegolo

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't believe that this publication issued by the Embassy is entirely correct.  I'm in the UK with my Thai wife of 6 years and I looked  into this prior to our marriage in Bangkok.  It took us a full 3 days to formalise all the necessary documents including "affirmation of right to marry" from the British embassy and get all document translations approved and stamped at Chang Watana. My finding were that it was not obligatory to register the Thai marriage in the UK but it is possible if you so request, but it can only be done in the UK, not at the Embassy.  As has been previously stated, a legal Thai marriage is fully recognised in the UK (and most other countries) regardless of UK registration.

Edited by Paradice lost
grammar correction

37 minutes ago, Paradice lost said:

I don't believe that this publication issued by the Embassy is entirely correct.

Note it states register a marriage.

The next paragraph states this at the beginning of it.

image.png.5b261e8f94c6a2fc7238aba9ad3351b3.png

Perhaps things have changed since you inquired about it before.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:08 AM, 2 is 1 said:

Imo if you not register your Thai marriage in your own coundry it's only valid in Thailand.?

You do not have to register a legal Thai marriage in the UK. I know of no advantage of doing so either.

Furthermore - a marriage legally registered in Thailand is fully recognised as lawful in the UK.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

You CANNOT register a Thai marriage at the British Embassy in Bangkok !

If you go through the proper process and get the lovely Thai marriage certificates (one for each of you) and the registration paper, then that is recognised in the UK.

It is a very good idea to get the certificate and registration translated.

If you are still domiciled for UK tax, you need to tell HMRC and also any pension companies that may pay you something one day.

My pension provider told me they would need copies of the certificate and registration as well as my wife's birth certificate when I died in order for them to pay a widow's pension, so I have provided these is advance.

Do not forget than a marriage invalidates all former wills made in the UK.

Wise advice which mirrors exactly what I have done with the exception of also providing a copy of her passports (uk and THAI). Forward thinking to make life easier for her upon our respective deaths ???? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JensenZ said:

If you don't report your marriage in your own country, then no one there will know you are married. You are legally married, but no one will know, including the tax office... so you can pretend you aren't married in your home country, and even marry again if you wanted to and as long as no one complains, there wouldn't be problems.

If you remarried without being divorced you are guilty of a serious criminal offence of bigamy which frequently carries a jail sentence. Your then estranged angry Thai wife would only have to notify your embassy showing the marriage certificate and your own country’s police force would pursue you .

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Note it states register a marriage.

The next paragraph states this at the beginning of it.

image.png.5b261e8f94c6a2fc7238aba9ad3351b3.png

Perhaps things have changed since you inquired about it before.

Up until 2014 it was possible to deposit marriage certificates with the General Registor via the FCO. This service is no longer available.

With regards to the sentence you quote from the BE note. Foreign marriages are presumed to be legal in the UK.

8 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

No problems?  Apart from those actions being illegal. that is.

There are situations where it would be useful, especially if your spouse agrees to separate and doesn't want to go through a lot of red tape - what happened in Thailand stays in Thailand.

First we are only talking about the marriage performed at the amphur, NOT the village 'wedding' with the monks, which should be considered to be a blessing, not a wedding.

Second a wedding done as the amphur, which mine was 20 years ago, is certainly recognised under UK law.  I wanted a church wedding with my wife in my home city in the midlands of England and I emailed the  registrar of birth, deaths and marriages there who replied that it was not possible as I was already legally married to my wife.  So we had a church blessing.

The only advantage in having your marriage recorded (not registered) at the British Embassy was that your marriage could be traced by genealogists in the UK!  If that very expensive service is no longer available, it's no loss.  Incidentally, that also applies to your death certificate.  Your widow does not need to record it at the embassy, it's very expensive to do so and not necessary.  Again, the only benefit would be that somebody could find out where you died and of what.

21 minutes ago, lungbing said:

First we are only talking about the marriage performed at the amphur, NOT the village 'wedding' with the monks, which should be considered to be a blessing, not a wedding.

Second a wedding done as the amphur, which mine was 20 years ago, is certainly recognised under UK law.  I wanted a church wedding with my wife in my home city in the midlands of England and I emailed the  registrar of birth, deaths and marriages there who replied that it was not possible as I was already legally married to my wife.  So we had a church blessing.

The only advantage in having your marriage recorded (not registered) at the British Embassy was that your marriage could be traced by genealogists in the UK!  If that very expensive service is no longer available, it's no loss.  Incidentally, that also applies to your death certificate.  Your widow does not need to record it at the embassy, it's very expensive to do so and not necessary.  Again, the only benefit would be that somebody could find out where you died and of what.

And while we're at it. Same goes with births to British national. Absolutely no need to register. When the need arises simply apply for a UK passport for said child. Done. (So long as all other criteria is met)

9 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

Rubbish!

Notify the marriage to the Digital and Population Data Agency

When a Finnish citizen gets married outside Finland it must be notified to the Local Register Office. You can also leave the notification at a Finnish embassy or send it there to be posted to the Digital and Population Data Agency.

The original marriage certificate or a copy of it, authenticated at the mission of Finland, must be appended to the notification. The document must be legalised and if it has been issued in some other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, an authorised translation in one of these languages must be provided. Translations made abroad must be legalised. Translations made by an authorised translator in Finland are valid as such.

Edited by 2 is 1

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

If you remarried without being divorced you are guilty of a serious criminal offence of bigamy which frequently carries a jail sentence. Your then estranged angry Thai wife would only have to notify your embassy showing the marriage certificate and your own country’s police force would pursue you .

There's absolutely no need for a lecture on law. If no one knows you were married and no one cares, there's no problem. If you are enemies with your wife, it's a different situation.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, JensenZ said:

If you wanted to marry again without getting a divorce you would be 

1) committing bigamy

2) committing Fraud when you sign your Affirmation of marital status

3) The 2 people that you required to provide name and addresses for on the Affirmation of marital status would also be committing Fraud if they were asked to confirm your marital status

On 5/17/2020 at 1:24 PM, JensenZ said:

Great ,thats what i thought.