Thai marriage void in Britain?

For me, I am swedish.. I am married in Thailand and I am NOT married in Sweden.... That is until I mail over a marriage-certificate to swedish tax-department who then will register the marriage....

Loads of swedish men är married here in Thailand but NOT in Sweden... (these men never send over their marrypapers to Sweden) But tecnicly I guess it is like most have pointed out already.... marry in Thailand and you are married in UK....

glegolo

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Not sure that would be registering your marriage. It is to prove you are married for tax purposes.

I am sure, I am swedish and I know.... The only thing needed to get my marriage registrered in Sweden, was for me to mail over an un-translated thai-marriage-certificate...

glegolo

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Imo if you not register your Thai marriage in your own coundry it's only valid in Thailand.?

not true. A Thai marriage, registered officially here with the local Amphur, is legal in the UK and I imagine every other country.  It is wise to get a English translation (or translation into your home country language) to attach to the Thai certificate of marriage. Also, get it notarised by a lawyer in Thailand.  That is all that is ever needed. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:
52 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Make sure you register your marriage at the British Embassy in Bangkok and you're good to go.

50 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Why do you need to do that?

You don't need to do that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

not true. A Thai marriage, registered officially here with the local Amphur, is legal in the UK and I imagine every other country.  It is wise to get a English translation (or translation into your home country language) to attach to the Thai certificate of marriage. Also, get it notarised by a lawyer in Thailand.  That is all that is ever needed. 

If you don't report your marriage in your own country, then no one there will know you are married. You are legally married, but no one will know, including the tax office... so you can pretend you aren't married in your home country, and even marry again if you wanted to and as long as no one complains, there wouldn't be problems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

If you don't report your marriage in your own country, then no one there will know you are married. You are legally married, but no one will know, including the tax office... so you can pretend you aren't married in your home country, and even marry again if you wanted to and as long as no one complains, there wouldn't be problems.

Register with whom? Get married here and you are married  everywhere.  You only have to produce your Thai marriage certificate and its notarised translation, in the same circumstances that a UK registered marriage certificate is requested, answer, very very rarely, HMRC is not one of them.  You do not have to go to a UK Registry Office to register a legal Thai marriage.  That is pure nonsense. The only occasions when my wife and I had to produce our Thai marriage certificate was to UK Immigration for the visa, the ILR and eventually her UK citizenship and to my company pension provider, so that she could get my pension when I die.  They are the only occasions we have had to produce it.  Actually, that is not quite accurate,  as we have had to produce it here in Thailand many more times than we ever had to do in the UK. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hardgraf said:

I live with my partner. She is here on a work permit. The easiest solution would be for us to get married in Thailand as I then would be granted a spouse visa

OP - if your partner is here on a work permit I assume she is not Thai.

If she is not Thai, how will you get a "spouse visa" to live in Thailand?

Or, have I missed something?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Not needed. Get a translation certified by the translator. That is it. No need for a Lawyer.

I understood that any translation had to be confirmed by the thai foreign office.

11 hours ago, Hardgraf said:

I have read that we would need to obtain an Affirmation of Freedom To marry certificate from the British Consulate. Is it possible to be married but for the marriage to be void outside of Thailand?

11 hours ago, Hardgraf said:

I live with my partner. She is here on a work permit.

No, you would need to obtain a certified affirmation of freedom to marry document from the British embassy as you're the British citizen.  You state that your girlfriend isn't Thai either so you both also need to look carefully at the requirements for her to marry in LOS.  

15 hours ago, glegolo said:

For me, I am swedish.. I am married in Thailand and I am NOT married in Sweden.... That is until I mail over a marriage-certificate to swedish tax-department who then will register the marriage....

Loads of swedish men är married here in Thailand but NOT in Sweden... (these men never send over their marrypapers to Sweden) But tecnicly I guess it is like most have pointed out already.... marry in Thailand and you are married in UK....

glegolo

Thats what i mean! Im from Finland and know also what talking! But best way to go married is in your own coundry first in normal case! Save much of paper bs in here. In Finland only need few paper from your coming wife. Half houer and you are married.

I got married by signing the papers at local gov office here with my Thai wife . 20 mins done and that was it . Had actual wedding party etc a week later. I have not went to the office in scotland to register it and as far as I have been told and am aware from looking into it I am not legally married anywhere apart from here ! 
One wife is hard enough work so don’t think I will be looking for another in uk ! ????

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, glegolo said:

I am sure, I am swedish and I know.... The only thing needed to get my marriage registrered in Sweden, was for me to mail over an un-translated thai-marriage-certificate...

glegolo

I thought you only needed to register it at the Swedish embassy in Bkk