Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thai marriage void in Britain?

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

More lectures: Before you start laying down the law, you should consider the jurisdiction. It's a big world with many different laws.

If no one knows, and no one complains, there is no problem.

Up to you enjoy you stay at the Bangkok Hilton

• Like 1

I am from Australia and I was told by the Embassy that if I do not Register the Marriage in Australia by showing all relevant paperwork then the marriage isn't recognized under Commonwealth law and as such is not legally recognized as a marriage in Australia. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nevalern said:

I am from Australia and I was told by the Embassy that if I do not Register the Marriage in Australia by showing all relevant paperwork then the marriage isn't recognized under Commonwealth law and as such is not legally recognized as a marriage in Australia. 

I think somebody gave you false info. This from a PDF on the embassy website.

image.png.d86cccac3d0ab894a4b1ab3011e39b20.png

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/files/bkok/Marriage instructions 20022020.pdf

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

More lectures: Before you start laying down the law, you should consider the jurisdiction. It's a big world with many different laws.

If no one knows, and no one complains, there is no problem.

In these days of extensive and pervasive social media?  Good luck with that idea. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

In these days of extensive and pervasive social media?  Good luck with that idea. 

You think that the government back in your home country, is searching social media to determine if their citizens covertly married overseas and are hiding that fact? You are paranoid.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You think that the government back in your home country, is searching social media to determine if their citizens covertly married overseas and are hiding that fact? You are paranoid.

Don't you ever read the gossip news?  Aunt May/Joan/Pom/Som/Noi will have taken mobile phone photos and will share them on her FB page and that will be sent on to other family members, then to mates and people they don't know at all, and before long  they will be around the World in days.  Lots of cases if you care to look. I'm not paranoid, just aware of the power and danger of social media. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5990897/Bigamist-married-woman-caught-Facebook-wife-jailed.html

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Why would I end up at a Bangkok Hilton? Please explain.

Speaking to The Telegraph after the case, Lloyd said: “In Thailand it is not a crime to have multiple wives – it seems to be pretty standard out there. I made a mistake as I thought it was a different jurisdiction and wouldn’t be a crime. I was wrong.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9958074/Bigamist-avoids-jail-after-claiming-his-he-needs-to-support-his-current-wifes-parents.html

• Like 1

I would suggest that it is illegal to have multiple wives in Thailand.  Imagine all those mother-in-laws!  What is not illegal is to have one wife and lots of mistresses (mia noi).  Or even no wife and lots of mia nois.

Ok thanks for all the help guys.

Just to clarify

• My partner is not Thai, she is British
  • Once married I would  be eligible for Non O as a married spouse. My wife's employer would handle everything for me, she has colleagues who have been through this process.

So it sounds like theoretically we could get married in Thailand & then pretend it never happened should we return to the UK. BUT it would be a criminal offence to attempt to remarry & withhold our marriage status etc.

We do not currently want to get married. The process would be entirely for Thai visa reasons as she has extended her contract with her employer and following tourist visas, education visa & the Covid-19 situation I think it will now probably become increasingly more difficult to extend my stay in Thailand and currently I face the prospect of leaving in July & then at some point trying to re-enter.

Edited by Hardgraf

23 minutes ago, Hardgraf said:

Ok thanks for all the help guys.

Just to clarify

• My partner is not Thai, she is British
  • Once married I would  be eligible for Non O as a married spouse. My wife's employer would handle everything for me, she has colleagues who have been through this process.

So it sounds like theoretically we could get married in Thailand & then pretend it never happened should we return to the UK. BUT it would be a criminal offence to attempt to remarry & withhold our marriage status etc.

We do not currently want to get married. The process would be entirely for Thai visa reasons as she has extended her contract with her employer and following tourist visas, education visa & the Covid-19 situation I think it will now probably become increasingly more difficult to extend my stay in Thailand and currently I face the prospect of leaving in July & then at some point trying to re-enter.

The correct course of action would be to divorce before returning to UK.