Here’s what it is like to visit a shopping mall in Thailand during COVID-19

webfact

As usual, the lack of consistency was obvious.

We went to IKEA, no QR code to enter Mega Bangna or IKEA and it was pretty quiet at 10am. Then by early afternoon it was packed with 100s of people queuing to get in. The big white bird who works at IKEA was looking very stressed. It also seemed that even though we didn't need to use a QR code to enter Mega Bangna itself, some individual shops were requiring you to do it. 

I went to Zeer yesterday and there was the requisite temp scan and sticker.  None of the shops had people scanning.  The only thing that <deleted> me off was that the gf and I could not sit and have dinner together.  Personally I will like it better when we get to stage 4 where people can sit at a table and have dinner together

• Like 1

They won`t be able to keep that for a long time!  Well..a bit longer than anywhere else, as most Thai people are just robots! If it makes them feel better, one check-in when you enter the building is ok (though i`ll be eternally lost in there, as I do not plan to check out). What they will have to change is the ridiculous check-in/out at shops WITHIN the malls. I surely won`t wait in a line to be able to stroll around Zara or Uniqlo. 

At least here in BKK, Sundays is the usual "Stroll-around-Mall-day-with-the family". This will surely stop with the current conditions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

You mean my local pizza joint phone number I wrote down? ????

Wouldn't you be the idiot if in a few days time there was an outbreak from people visiting the mall and you were not contacted.....I take it you don't use FB, line WhatsApp, loyalty cards, email and wear a tin hat in bed

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, noticed restaurants in Robinsons with one table one chair about 1.5m apart, so, OK for us to live together in same house, but must eat at restaurant 1.5 m apart. ????????

NOT HAPPENING!! 

Going to be sad to watch restaurants slowly disappear from shopping malls, long term coffee shop already gone from our regular shopping mall.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Year right...... This was yesterday at Ikea !

bangkok-covid-zondag.jpg

35 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Year right...... This was yesterday at Ikea !

bangkok-covid-zondag.jpg

Anybody got a tape measure I think they get measurement wrong, meant to be 1.5M, not 1.5CM.

• Haha 2

That’s interesting because it actually was a little bit like that this morning but it’s actually been easier to go inside the mall over the last 8 weeks till today. Now they have lines to get in the mall. A few weeks ago when I was at the mall they just let everyone in the back way slowly to reduce crowds and they kept the main entrances closed. They were opening up more doors today than usual but besides that and signing in at Tesco there were not many changes today compared to a month ago. 

1 minute ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Anybody got a tape measure I think they get measurement wrong, meant to be 1.5M, not 1.5CM.

No there hasn’t been that many people and I doubt that is recent. That’s about as recent as the last Kim Jung Un video ????

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

They've got your phone number, entering it is part of the check-in process, they can call you ????

"doesn't involve any personal information exchange," I presume that means no phone numbers? Or does it? I've not been asked to use that system yet!

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

"doesn't involve any personal information exchange," I presume that means no phone numbers? Or does it? I've not been asked to use that system yet!

I have used it!

You enter your phone number on the log-in page, it's the only thing it asks for.

Of course you could use the number of your local pizza take-out place ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

So far it was "don't forget your mask before going to shop".
Now also "take your pen with you".

And of course shopping bag.

The list grows longer :biggrin:

Now you have a reason to get that man bag you have been secretly lusting after for years but worried it would turn you gay.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I have used it!

You enter your phone number on the log-in page, it's the only thing it asks for.

Of course you could use the number of your local pizza take-out place ????

Don't give them ideas.. ????

54 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

No it’s not, it’s trying to keep you AND their staff, AND other people safe. If you don’t like it.....

Dream on! Thailand...from zero measures at the beginning (letting Chinese enter as they wished) to ridiculous, over the top measures. Like always....Thailand implements ideas without thinking how they will work in practice. The only thing which will happen is even a higher unemployment rate. Even the most stupid Somchai will stop dining-out in malls with those measures or go to the mall to just stroll around.

The check-in/out at the main entrances is ok, even I personally don`t like it . Everything beyond that is just ridiculous. 

Edited by SpanishExpat

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This was perhaps the biggest inconvenience and pretty much put an end to the casual wandering in and out of stores people would typically do when visiting a mall.

it's going to be fun when the Chinese arrive... can't wait 555