Conditions in UK autumn and winter may see pick up in coronavirus spread: government adviser

webfact

Conditions in UK autumn and winter may see pick up in coronavirus spread: government adviser

2020-05-18T185200Z_1_LYNXMPEG4H24B_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-BRIEFING.JPG

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam speaks at the daily digital news conference on the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, at 10 Downing Street in London, Britain May 18, 2020. Andrew Parsons/10 Downing Street/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Conditions in autumn and winter may provide an evironment in which the spread of the coronavirus picks up again, England's deputy chief medical officer said on Monday, warning the country may have to live with the virus in the long-term.

Asked at a news conference about the government's preparedness for a possible second wave of the virus, Jonathan Van-Tam said: "We may have to live and learn to live with this virus in the long term and certainly for many months to come, if not several years. A vaccine may change that but we can’t be sure we will get a vaccine."

He added: "There may be an element of seasonaility and it may well be that the autumn and winter conditions provide a better environment for the virus to then do its work again. So we have to be very cautious about that and plan for these kinds of healthcare surges that we hope we don't need."

(Reporting by William James and Andy Bruce, Writing by Kylie MacLellan; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-19

3 hours ago, bannork said:

So temperatures do play a major role in the transmission of the virus. This could explain Thailand's low figures.

We all know it isn't that the Thai government has handled it so skillfully. Also with how Thais eat you couldn't argue they don't share germs. Cambodia, Laos, and other SE Asia locations have also been spared the brunt of it. It could be the weather or some other unexplained condition for this. SF didn't get hit as hard as NYC so it seems very likely that weather and temperature play a big role. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

LONDON (Reuters) - Conditions in autumn and winter may provide an evironment in which the spread of the coronavirus picks up again,

Nothing to do with seasonal flu of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bannork said:

So temperatures do play a major role in the transmission of the virus. This could explain Thailand's low figures.

If they do, why isn't this Muppet concentrating on the positive...UK is having a heatwave from today...these clowns love to talk everything down...people need positive news.......haven't read anywhere that due to summer the virus could contract

Errrr, ummm, autumn/winter is the flu season in the uk.  Hence the fact that the annual vaccination programme begins in October.  So i don't think it is a case of 'may' increase cases - it will.

In my opinion Sweden had it right all along and has developed to a certain extent 'herd immunity' - this is what should have happened in the UK.  i have said(to anyone who would listen and there were many) that the 'lockdown' was a BIG mistake.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

We all know it isn't that the Thai government has handled it so skillfully. Also with how Thais eat you couldn't argue they don't share germs. Cambodia, Laos, and other SE Asia locations have also been spared the brunt of it. It could be the weather or some other unexplained condition for this. SF didn't get hit as hard as NYC so it seems very likely that weather and temperature play a big role. 

You have zero idea on all the variables and moderators, just like the rest of us.

You have no idea as to what effect closing borders had as opposed to leaving them open (e.g. Thailand v the UK).

Sure, you can speculate like the rest of us.

But your first sentence rather shows your agenda.

• Like 2

I will refrain from discussing the US at present but England at least have handled this outbreak very poorly.

Even today, International flights are landing & passengers allowed to simply go through customs, Immigration & on their way. No checks, no addresses taken NOTHING.

2 of my friends boarded in Bangkok, left Heathrow & went straight to a hospital & Boris still has not stopped this madness.

2nd week in June I believe restrictions come into force. 

The NHS may have done a sterling job but the Government has handled this very poorly & still continues to do so.

No wonder the guy in this article is concerned

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

As far as a "second wave" in the UK - yes there will be a second wave - no it will not be deadlier, in fact it will likely be much much milder. There is already some herd immunity developing, and viruses tend to mutate towards milder strains, not the other way around. Again those who warn of the "second wave" apocalypse are usually those with something to gain from spreading panic.

Perhaps you will tell us the qualifications you hold in medicine and/or virology which mean you can make such authoritative statements.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, UK is on the right way?

Graphs don't lie. UK new cases are slowing down. Already some herd immunity there likely.

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Perhaps you will tell us the qualifications you hold in medicine and/or virology which mean you can make such authoritative statements.

Perhaps you will tell us YOUR qualifications for saying what I'm saying is wrong? Always another Karen "you're not a doctor wah wah wah". Yeah I'm not a doctor - but I can read and I can research, and I *could* be a doctor if I wanted to (I don't). Doctors aren't special, they just study just like you can (shock!).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Perhaps you will tell us YOUR qualifications

Normally I wouldn't. But to fix st..... I will disclose it for you: Doc and Pharmacologist. 

Although I doubt I can stop you to spread nonsense. Have a beautiful day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

and your point is....?

Economies matter more than saving a few 1000 people with multiple underlying health conditions. Boris has said this week that Britons needs to be healthier, couldn't agree more, far too many fat slobs around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:
1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Perhaps you will tell us YOUR qualifications for saying what I'm saying is wrong? Always another Karen "you're not a doctor wah wah wah". Yeah I'm not a doctor - but I can read and I can research, and I *could* be a doctor if I wanted to (I don't). Doctors aren't special, they just study just like you can (shock!)

Yes, doctors do study; as do virologists, as do other medical professionals. Therefore they know more about this subject than you or I.

I read papers, articles etc, by people who have studied not just medicine and virology in general; but this particular virus. These people are not people who vaingloriously boast that they "*could* be a doctor if I wanted to;" they are qualified experts and, therefore, unlike you, know what they are talking about.

That is how I know what you are saying is wrong; or at best an extreme minority view.

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

going to "only" 40.000 people. Indeed for you it doesn't matter. ☹️ Shame on you.

It's not that many out of a 68 million population, perspective is needed really. The fact I can't drink in a bar is way more shameful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Boris has said this week that Britons needs to be healthier, couldn't agree more, far too many fat slobs around.

Including the one in Number 10!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:
25 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

going to "only" 40.000 people. Indeed for you it doesn't matter. ☹️ Shame on you.

It's not that many out of a 68 million population, perspective is needed really. 

Tell that to the families of those who have died prematurely, and will die prematurely, due to this disease.

20 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The fact I can't drink in a bar is way more shameful.

That has got to be one of the most shameful comments ever posted on this or any other forum.

Are you an alcoholic? If so, you can still get your fix at Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It's not that many out of a 68 million population, perspective is needed really. The fact I can't drink in a bar is way more shameful.

I don't have words for this comments ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Most of them would have died from other conditions within months anyway. At least 90% of those who died had on average three underlying health issues. Look at the excess deaths which include those dying from untreated cancers and other serious illnesses because they stayed away from hospitals to "save the NHS". And please don't tell me it's all worth it if we save one single life. 600,000 people die in the UK every year, this will be a tiny blip on the curve.

Also suggest you look up the Hong Kong flu 1968. Killed 80,000 in the UK and 4 million globally. The world was not shut down, healthy people quarantined and millions' livelihoods destroyed.

Edited by roquefort
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, UK is on the right way?

Don't do much and the natural selection will continue?

Poor country, pathetic govt. ????

Natural selection , survival of the fittest,  the weak will die .

Nothing new,   expect panic rules , in the new world order ..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Tell that to the families of those who have died prematurely, and will die prematurely, due to this disease.

That has got to be one of the most shameful comments ever posted on this or any other forum.

Are you an alcoholic? If so, you can still get your fix at Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose etc.

Local Indian shop and sat in the park with a friend having a couple of cold cans of beer. Nice day for it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roquefort said:

Most of them would have died from other conditions within months anyway. At least 90% of those who died had on average three underlying health issues. Look at the excess deaths which include those dying from untreated cancers and other serious illnesses because they stayed away from hospitals to "save the NHS". And please don't tell me it's all worth it if we save one single life. 600,000 people die in the UK every year, this will be a tiny blip on the curve.

Also suggest you look up the Hong Kong flu 1968. Killed 80,000 in the UK and 4 million globally. The world was not shut down, healthy people quarantined and millions' livelihoods destroyed.

It's a shame that you disqualfied yourself with this comment.

Obviously your main source of knowledge is YouTube ????

• Confused 1